Winter tyres, recommendations please.

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please. I am going to put winter tyres on this year, but am a bit bemused by the sheer variety out there. Currently i have 185/70 14R on my wheels, and I was wondering whether 165/70 would be better for the snow, also a little bit cheaper. I will probably do about 5000 miles during the winter, about half and half urban to 70 MPH driving. if anyone can recommend a make, to help me decide, that would be great.

thanks in anticipation, I know you won't let me down. jo.

Well another fan of the Ultra Grip 8.

Just put 4 on my Fabia SDI Estate. Paid £64 a corner from Event Tyres here in Manchester, thats Fully Fitted and Balanced.

Seemed great in the torrential rain we had last week, and has had good reviews for the last few years which is why I went for them. Will report back after the winter to see what they ended up like in the snow :-)

20130922_174339.jpg

Maybe a tad overkill (or taking winter preparation to the extreme) in the 23°C temperature that we had today! ;)

Hi John

Yep, Early preperations. Only got the car last week, and its had 4 ditchfinders of various depth so thought I would treat myself to some decent winters. But can say that in the wet (which up her in Manchester is pretty much 80% of the time) they were excellent. Mind you Am glad have had today sunny as spent it under the bonnet fighting with the battery box :-) (see other thread).

:-)

I run the ultra grip 8's all year round on SWMBO 's VW Beetle.

She can't tell the difference between them and a set of racing slicks in the summer but she wonders why everyone was struggling in ice and snow last winter while she drove past them.

I've got a set of Avon Ice Touring for mine in winter, I run 185/60/14 and they were fantastic last winter in getting me up various steep snowy slopes and general grip in the damp, they let me down once on a slope of sheet ice which someone stopped me going up, you'd need studs to have got anywhere on that though, the wheels were spinning at tick over in 5th gear!

I just put some cheap effiplus epluto crap on mine last year and they were awesome. I got places 4x4 couldnt get.

I also used tgem on long trip and in mid summer for a few weeks and did a few k on them. Still lots of life left in them

Bad points tho. Noisy, dnt give alot of confidence in damp and wet block movement in corners is not nice either.

Having said that for 30 each they are awesome. I drive accordingly so dont bother me. Most people will call them dangerouse tho but thats the driver not the tyre.

If you strapped for cash and just want a tyre to get youthru the snow then they do the job really well.

Currently i have 185/70 14R on my wheels, and I was wondering whether 165/70 would be better for the snow, also a little bit cheaper.

Do you have a Felicia as you profile says or a Fabia? The standard Fabia has 185/60 14 tyres not 70 profile ones. If you have narrower tyres with the same profile and wheel diameter, the rolling diameter will be much smaller. However 185/70 14 and 165/70 15 have very similar diameters, (within half a percent).

Personally I'd stick with the size you've got, but buy proper winter or all-season tyres on. we have on our other Fabia (PD100) Vredestein Quatrac all-season tyres and we've not had any problems for many winters.

It depends on the tyre. Its about 4mm, though and there will be a separate wear marker.

I just got some new winters for her car and a spare for mine.

The Hankook W310 had 9mm total tread, with the winter wear marker at 5mm up, giving 4mm useable tread.

Her Continental TS850s had 8mm total tread, with the winter wear marker at 3mm, giving 5mm useable winter tread. So typically German.

The sipes also looked considerably deeper on the Conti. You get what you pay for :)

• Like 1