Hi all, 

I need some assistance. I had an oil leak with my 2004 skoda octavia wagon and I just kept putting oil in it until it was really bad...really needed the car!!! Anyhow, the mechanic replaced the oil cooler as it seemed to be pouring out oil whenever the engine was running. It somehow got cracked even though I did not hit or go under the bonnet for ages. I now have very loud engine knocking and the mechanic told me I need a new engine because I damaged it with the oil leak. He hasn't given me the option to rebuild my engine by replacing the damaged parts. He simply told me that I need a new engine. 

Are skoda engines hard to rebuild and do you recommend changing the parts, or is it better to buy a second hand engine? It is very hard to get skoda parts in Barbados and I am also having trouble sourcing a compatible engine.

Mannie Fresh

Hi all, 

I need some assistance. I had an oil leak with my 2004 skoda octavia wagon and I just kept putting oil in it until it was really bad...really needed the car!!! Anyhow, the mechanic replaced the oil cooler as it seemed to be pouring out oil whenever the engine was running. It somehow got cracked even though I did not hit or go under the bonnet for ages. I now have very loud engine knocking and the mechanic told me I need a new engine because I damaged it with the oil leak. He hasn't given me the option to rebuild my engine by replacing the damaged parts. He simply told me that I need a new engine. 

Are skoda engines hard to rebuild and do you recommend changing the parts, or is it better to buy a second hand engine? It is very hard to get skoda parts in Barbados and I am also having trouble sourcing a compatible engine.

Mannie Fresh

Skoda use the same engines as volkswagen and audi.As long as the 3 letter code on the engine matches you can use them.

Edited by GAZ911