75ps V's 60 ps

manxman02

Hi Guys lets see how the different engines and gearboxes work.  U = urban   M = Motorway

60 ps  manual            60 ps ASG                   75 ps manual         75 ps ASG

manxman                                                      65u - 76m                                                      42u-56m

Its common knowledge that the sport edition's bodykit and stripes add 40PS :p :D

Must agree though, the sport did really ought to have at least the 75PS engine! (Even though the performance difference is trivial)

Shame on you Skoda for creating a sheep in wolfs clothing :D

• Like 2

Hopefully someone in the UK will actually get their 60 remapped and vouch for it.. then the floodgates will open ;)

I'm quite interested but I don't think the gains would be nothing worth talking about.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

I'm quite interested but I don't think the gains would be nothing worth talking about.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Well - depends, given the engines are apparently identical so youll at least get the 15bhp back that us sport owners have been deprived of lol.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I forsee; having gone for the 75, or wait till FEB! that I'd drive it around town on "low rev's" akin to granddad mode. 

Then once out in the wild <2 miles for me...

I'd be using the car and all it's revs. It's a petrol afterall, thrash it's tiny little torque bolts to the red line.

That or be old before I'm young and take SWMBO 1.6ford diesel... I frequently bounced he limiter on the superb, it pulled well enough.

If I had the 60ps I was willing to test it. Somebody will if only to unlock the psychological benefit. It's a NA engine, gains will be miniscule for cost and cost is a reason many of us buy it, to reduce cost. That said a citigo 3cyl on some rad racing cam would be interesting.

Seriously though, the 75 brings more insurance / road fund, or it will when the banding shifts.

Tell me about it!.. my mind was open to plump for a fully specced sport/elegance until i heard the lead times!

My reasoning is ill just be happy with the revelation of having any kind of smooth torque curve after the vRS (although i was spoilt by the supercharged MX5 i had before).. Driving SWMBOs 208 1.2 has opened my eyes to how far engine technology has come in the last 15yr..

I must have a dislike for the 1.8t engine and its power delivery. i can say both mk1 Octy vRS's have just left me cold like no other car has.. i only had the first one for 2 months before chopping it in - at least ill manage 6 from this lol..

• Like 1

hay guys thanx for the replys on the topic, but i must admit not quite what i was hoping for! :)  But it seems most of ya have the 60ps anyway, I have the 75ps ASG and it's fuel consumption is nothing like they say and it's nothing like the figures on the 'Honest jon' site too.

While my car has been away for new gearbox and ECU !! they loaned me a 60ps ASG ......Shocked is not the word! it's so economical and the power seems greater even though it has 15bhp less!! Mine is the 5 door and the loan car 3 door dose it makes that much difference does it?

Can I ask about the following, (Seriously though, the 75 brings more insurance / road fund, or it will when the banding shifts.)  This is the first I have heard about this when will this happen and how much will it mean cost wise? 

Thank you 

Marcus

Edited by manxman02

What's the difference in mileage between the courtesy car and yours? - I can imagine quite a decent improvement once these small revvy engines are run-in.

From a costs point - the 75 is in a slightly higher insurance group but doubt it'll affect insurance in real terms.

Co2 and tax are and always will be identical.

You'll never get anywhere near official unrealistic economy figures..Even more so now it's starting to get colder.

The Sport extra stripes, body kit and coloured cloth adds 40 PS in the mind of the owner? yet in practice Diddley squat????

I think that the gearing is also slightly different between the 60ps and 75ps versions.

Final drive ratio on the Mii is 3.9:1 (and 21.5 mph per 1000 rpm in top) for the 60ps and 4.1:1 (and 20.1mph per 1000 rpm in top) for the 75ps.  This probably as much as the power difference, explains why the 60ps is not quite as quick as the 75ps to up to roughly 60mph. 

I presume that these differences also apply to the equivalent Citigo.

I think that the gearing is also slightly different between the 60ps and 75ps versions.

Final drive ratio on the Mii is 3.9:1 (and 21.5 mph per 1000 rpm in top) for the 60ps and 4.1:1 (and 20.1mph per 1000 rpm in top) for the 75ps.  This probably as much as the power difference, explains why the 60ps is not quite as quick as the 75ps to up to roughly 60mph. 

I presume that these differences also apply to the equivalent Citigo.

That is interesting.. So the 75bhp model will actually be pulling more rpm at a cruise than the 60bhp

• 1 year later...

Of passing interest (POSSIBLY???). When I was first doing my homework regarding the merits of both the 3 door & the 5 door Citigo (the 5 door won, because it had the 5 doors, & heated front seats that SWMBO demanded) I also did a fair amount of research regarding the cost of Insurance for both.

Much to my surprise, I discovered that if one opted for a 3 door (& then added go faster stripes to the sides) it raised the insurance by some 3-4 Groups.

Apparently, not only does 2 GFS raise the top speed by some 50mph (25mph per Decal)the Insurance Companies (at least those where I enquired)raised the Group by one group per GFS - not bog-standard factory-spec'd, was their claim in mitigation.

Just think, if one was to add a GFS to the bonnet (or roof) not only could you exceed 200mph in your Tonka Toy, but the insurance group was be in double figures as well.

A cracking little car though.

• Like 1

Couple of points on this thread. Over the first year I managed 59.0 mpg, mostly a long trip to Scotland & back from Devon, then local, not normally less than 4 miles at a time. That's in a 5 door, 75 ASG Elegance 2014 vintage.

Second, I don't think that aerodynamics have much effect until the speed gets up to something like 60 or so.

We bought a SE (60 PS) for one of the kids, & he's just returned from a (mostly motorway) return trip to Wales. He wasn't "booting" it but was up in the high 60's/low 70's on the Motorways, and he returned a tad over 66 mpg on the full trip - & this included a fair dose of urban driving. Brimmed the tank before he went, & brimmed it again on his return, & 66.3 mpg was the end result. These really are economical little beasts. On mine (75PS Greentech) I reckon on an average of the very high 50's, but I also try to remember to switch off the stop/start as soon as I start the engine, so perhaps I could manage a little more - not totally happy about the possible starter motor wear though.

• 1 month later...

An update on my last Post.

Have just return from a 380+ mile round trip to Wales.

Wasn't booting it, & stuck around the 60-65 mark (with small, lamentably small, blasts of 70-85 at moments of sheer exhilaration) mainly due to a combination of absolutely foul windy & rainy weather: unusually heavy traffic (especially on the M62 around Manchester) but mainly, the unfailingly noisy built-in speed limiter - aka SWMBO.

It had its benefits, as we returned with a combined mpg of 71 - and this was per both the PID and brimming it after our return. On previous lengthy trips, and using just a small fraction of the car's potential (ie. cruising between 70-75) invariably drops the mpg to the high 50's/low 60's.

And according to the PID (which has got to be reasonably accurate), the speedo consistently over-reads by some 7%.

And much to my surprise, especially so for a fairly slab-sided car, the road holding was superb - even when getting blasted by hurricane-force winds in the Llandudno area.

A cracking little motor.

• Like 2

I also try to remember to switch off the stop/start as soon as I start the engine, so perhaps I could manage a little more - not totally happy about the possible starter motor wear though.

The stop/start equipped Citigos have a heavy duty battery, alternator and starter motor. This is why they weigh a little more than equivalent models without stop/start/

The stop/start equipped Citigos have a heavy duty battery, alternator and starter motor. This is why they weigh a little more than equivalent models without stop/start/

If you take a look under the hood you can see secondary battery holes for the larger battery :)

Marcus, can i suggest you follow my fuelly with our ASG. Not denying your mpg maybe not what the expectation is, but we have so far recorded 52.3mpg average over 13,000m monitoring

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/citigo/2014/zorrosmart/284663

hay guys thanx for the replys on the topic, but i must admit not quite what i was hoping for! :)  But it seems most of ya have the 60ps anyway, I have the 75ps ASG and it's fuel consumption is nothing like they say and it's nothing like the figures on the 'Honest jon' site too.

While my car has been away for new gearbox and ECU !! they loaned me a 60ps ASG ......Shocked is not the word! it's so economical and the power seems greater even though it has 15bhp less!! Mine is the 5 door and the loan car 3 door dose it makes that much difference does it?

Can I ask about the following, (Seriously though, the 75 brings more insurance / road fund, or it will when the banding shifts.)  This is the first I have heard about this when will this happen and how much will it mean cost wise? 

Thank you 

Marcus