Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

Rooted

?

Which spark plugs come up for the Seat Cupra 1.4 TSI 2009-2015,

VW Polo GTI 1.4 TSI 2010-2014

or the Audi A1 1.4 TFSI 185ps 2011-2014 

What is your recommendation for the spark plugs to use in a Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI 2010-2014 ?

PKJ is the latest plug that shows and no longer the SKJ unless people have them in stock and some suppliers still do.

If PKJ or VK20 is the correct plugs, what is the worst that can happen that is worse than is quick a common issue with the OEM plugs.

Would it be the 2nd recommended spark plugs that Skoda / VW started using that you recommend?

Something like those on the bottom set of 4.

post-86161-0-38944400-1476714122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski

Our local mechanic carried out our service this time (car now outside extended warranty) and I queried prior to service if he would be putting spark plugs in and what type. Unfortunately from our perspective his supplier only offers NGK and so these have been fitted. I had been hoping to get Denso fitted but will need to keep a close eye on how wee car runs, and have a set of denso ordered for the next service, when I'll have those installed instead.

Denso have been fitted to my son's Cupra Bocanegra for a few months now without any problems whatsoever.

• 1 month later...

Quick heads up for everyone.. www.sparkplugs.co.uk have an offer on Denso plugs until 22/12/2016 giving you an extra 10% off! 

I just ordered 4 SKJ20CR-A8 plugs for £35.74 delivered!

If thats not a good enough deal they will even chuck in a free denso lanyard! and if your still not happy they will chuck in a denso feeler gauge kit if you spend over £50!

discount code is DENS-HO-HO-HO (seriously)

more info can be found here.. http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=488da8cecd941f0ecad822769&id=9911f9a8a9

• Like 1

gutted i ordered mine on Wednesday without the discount code, and have already fitted them

also what have people gapped the Denso SKJ20CR plugs to? i gapped mine to .80 still running a little rough haven't read the fault codes yet on VCDS

I have purchased these Denso ho ho hoes...

How do I "check" the spark plugs. I have had 3 "issues" with Jekyll and Hyde... bought in August circa 40k with a service. Within 3 weeks I had to top the oil with I imagine around 3 litres of oil. Approx a week later I had cel flashing I just carried on and it went off... held back a bit for a while but resumed to normal and light off. And 3rdly I know not to be trusted but just driving around is always around 28.8mpg seems low in my book and being the onboard comp I assume it's 10 percent off that...? Has done a kiss to 38 on more of a run. So after all that waffle - spark plugs worth doing? They seem to have been done at around 20k and skoda have ticked the box at the latest 40k service...now at 44k...

any thoughts appreciated

I have purchased these Denso ho ho hoes...

How do I "check" the spark plugs. I have had 3 "issues" with Jekyll and Hyde... bought in August circa 40k with a service. Within 3 weeks I had to top the oil with I imagine around 3 litres of oil. Approx a week later I had cel flashing I just carried on and it went off... held back a bit for a while but resumed to normal and light off. And 3rdly I know not to be trusted but just driving around is always around 28.8mpg seems low in my book and being the onboard comp I assume it's 10 percent off that...? Has done a kiss to 38 on more of a run. So after all that waffle - spark plugs worth doing? They seem to have been done at around 20k and skoda have ticked the box at the latest 40k service...now at 44k...

any thoughts appreciated

You have to remove the spark plugs and inspect them.

Checking the condition, any obvious problems, and check the gap with a feeler gauge.

(You might as well put in new plugs while there, if the 4 in are OK, put them back in next time.)

If you are still using oil & you are sure that 5W 30 FS Long Life (VW504 00) is in and you have been topping up with that, 

do an oil & filter change.

Put in 3.6 litres of 5w 40 FS (VW 502 00)

Hi thanks for that. That may all be beyond my competency! Best bet local mechanic and change regardless? Assuming they actually were changed 4k ago should they not be ok? Mpg sound about right? As for the oil I will check what I put in and how much as I keep it in the boot... this was also required in my 2tfsi Octavia! 5/40 rings a bell due to this forum but as of posting not 100%!

It is just a spark plug change and many say simple they do 1.4 TSI all the time.

Oddly still mechanics & technicians mess up doing a Twinchargers plugs and it sometimes turn out they see 1.4 TSI but not Twinchargers.

Amazing how many change 3 plugs and can not be bothered with the 4th.....

The Air Filter needing replaced also can cause poor fuel economy.

That might not even have been checked let alone changed.

So someone I trust and have to stand over? I assume that skoda won't fit what you bring? Worth an ask maybe. Ah funny you mention that as that is another "yes" ticked. So really for me to be sure is have a minor service plus air filter and plugs? I am reluctant to touch the car but equally don't want the hassle of it breaking. Just a quick add on; will only previous owner know what engine it is on? As are there any that are still on original? Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Yes there are ones with the Original Engines.

I still have one. & engines from others. lol ....

Skoda UK Customer Services can tell you if an engine was replaced, they really have to tell you, they never always tell the DVLA though.

They also can and should tell you any Warranty Work done through the Dealer network, but recently they are being arses...

A Skoda Dealership will change the plugs, some took more than £100 over the cost of a Service, 

some now do it as part of a Major Service, so ask them.

Maybe get the latest Software on at the time as well if going to a Skoda Workshop.

Quick heads up for everyone.. www.sparkplugs.co.uk have an offer on Denso plugs until 22/12/2016 giving you an extra 10% off!

I just ordered 4 SKJ20CR-A8 plugs for £35.74 delivered!

If thats not a good enough deal they will even chuck in a free denso lanyard! and if your still not happy they will chuck in a denso feeler gauge kit if you spend over £50!

discount code is DENS-HO-HO-HO (seriously)

more info can be found here.. http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=488da8cecd941f0ecad822769&id=9911f9a8a9

Purchased some the other night and just turned up very quick delivery just need to fit now hahaha bargain at that price

• Like 1

Right, Finally got round to fitting my new plugs today! Easy job.. 45 mins max and i was taking my time. I didn't have coil pack pullers so a pair of grips and gentle careful persuasion done the job. I did buy THIS  and i reckon it saved a lot of swearing and dropped plugs!

The reason for me changing my plugs was because i had a misfire on cyl 4, i swapped the coil packs around and everything was fine for a few days then i was greeted with the EPC light and CEL leading to limp mode after a bad misfire. original thread is here 

She seems to be running much better now and no misfire so far so fingers crossed she's fixed! MPG does not seem to be improved but that might be because of my driving to test for misfires.

Car is a 2011 CAVE always run on either Shell or Tesco 99 Ron, 46400 miles on her & doesn't really seem to have taken a taste for oil.. fingers crossed. topped up about 1ltr in 3k miles.

Full SSH and no record of the plugs ever being changed.

Here are the pics of my plugs after removal 

post-148551-0-49096300-1482942408_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-60870000-1482942404_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-20793600-1482942405_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-90295300-1482942407_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-74520600-1482942409_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-02039300-1482942404_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-89946800-1482942406_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-73805200-1482942405_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-15418900-1482942409_thumb.jpgpost-148551-0-30437000-1482942406_thumb.jpg

Edited by DamoR

Use your feeler gauge and see what gap is on those plugs. They are obviously ones that have been changed and not the originals, not that bad condition.

But it would be interesting at least to me to know the gap.

Have you checked the 4 plugs gap were all the same before putting in, 

what were they?

Use your feeler gauge and see what gap is on those plugs. They are obviously ones that have been changed and not the originals, not that bad condition.

But it would be interesting at least to me to know the gap.

Have you checked the 4 plugs gap were all the same before putting in, 

what were they?

Unfortunately a feeler gauge is another tool i seem to have mislaid so no gap checking was done.. i only had an hour to do the swap before having to go to work :( i did visually check them and they all looked the same.

I will try and get hold of gauges and check the old plugs. 

Edited by DamoR

MPG does not seem to be improved but that might be because of my driving to test for misfires. 

I fixed this by resetting my avg MPG reading.. forgot to do it before  :blush:

Edited by DamoR

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question, My son is replacing the plugs in my CTHE engine and was wondering which of these 2 plugs He should opt for. It's between the denso skj20 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-78080-denso-spark-plug-skj20cr-a8.aspx

or the denso pkj20 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-62982-denso-extended-platinum-spark-plug-pkj20cr8-3173.aspx

many thanks

• 2 months later...

So after running Denso for the past 5-6k, with no issues, I'm putting some NGK BKR7EIX in tomorrow. 

Im just curious to see if there is much difference really

What gap would people recommend the NGK to be set at?

Thanks 

Seriously, just dont, why would you?

You can run the DENSO maybe 25,000 miles or more, the ones you are going to put in maybe 5,000 miles, maybe more, 

but i just would not.  I have, but really do not expect some improved performance.

several more threads if you search.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/246959-ngk-bkr7eix-2667 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/237997-ngk-bkr7eix-or-bkr8eix-spark-plugs 

Edited by Awayoffski

To be fair it was more of a curiosity thing than an expectation of much change. 

Sometimes there seems to be a small missfire under load. 

Its had new coil packs fitted too so I'm just wondering if it's the plugs perhaps