I am really sorry for all you Octavia owners - I had this issue back in June 2014 with my brand new 1.4 se estate

I am afraid to say even after all this time there is no fix for this.

You will end up having to get rid of your car just like I did  as I had exhausted all the possible solutions.

I lost loads of money, but I could stand it no longer.

This thread must be massive by now. I am continually getting emails going over the same issue and people

desperately trying to find a fix. In my opinion there just isn't  one - it is a design fault.

17 hours ago, match14 said:

How do you adjust the boot stops on an estate? Can't see any screws.

It is earlier in the thread, but you need a plastic spudger to just lever off the outside of the plastic cover on the lid stops - there is a torx type screw to adjust underneath that.

its interesting - this must effect different people differently. I can honestly say I haven't noticed at all in my Octavia facelift estate. For those who experience it would you say you are more sensitive to air pressure changes? Do you ears pop or hurt a lot on say flights? My son has very sensitive ears - hate flying but hasn't complained of anything in the car yet. Would the seat material also have an impact? Fabric versus leather etc? We have fabric in our car.

Thanks,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have recently started looking for another car and the Octavia Estate was top of my list. To help me with my search I'd started a thread on here but have just fortunately been warned about this issue by one of the replies. While I've looked at Octavias I haven't actually driven one yet so obviously haven't had the opportunity to see if I can detect the problem discussed in this thread.

I was looking at Elegance and vRS models so am i right in believing that both of these are affected?

It will be a real nuisance if I have to rule out these cars as I was specifically wanting an estate with a low boot lip and the Octavia scores well in that respect. I could well end up being a 3 series driver struggling to be let out of side roads! :-)

This isn't a problem that affects only Octavias (of all trim levels), but they do seem to be more prone than some other cars.

A few years ago when I was working on active noise cancellation systems we were asked by Jaguar to look into this problem on one of their models, yes we could solve it but not in a practical way - it needed a 24" sub-sub-woofer to cancel the buffeting as well as the road noise.

Don't write off the Octavia without having a test drive yourself.

Something I learnt through riding motorbikes. A trip is FAR nicer and more relaxing with ear plugs. You can hear the radio (even on a bike) and the engine - just not the wind noise. And it is that wind noise that is A. Annoying and B. extremely tiring. I found my trips could be extended by 4-6 hours just by wearing ear plugs.

Why in the 21st Century are car manufacturers not capable of producing a decent car without problems. The Focus was another car I was seriously tempted by, right up to the point when I read about all the problems with the Powershift gearbox.

3 minutes ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

Why in the 21st Century are car manufacturers not capable of producing a decent car without problems. The Focus was another car I was seriously tempted by, right up to the point when I read about all the problems with the Powershift gearbox.

Getting too complicated and cutting corners

Skoda don't seem to be able to fix problems carried over from previous versions of the model. Cabin noise has been a problem with all the Octavia's the MK1 had excessive wind noise, Mk2 rear end road noise amplified by the boot and Mk3 seems to have a similar issue. Poor door seals letting water in or not not draining due to alignment, rear brake calipers seizing, climate control vents sticking, creaky interiors and probably a lot more if you check.

As S00perb says most I would put down to cost cutting to meet a sales price by reducing the quality where as the main components of chassis platform, engine and drive chain are very good if you ignore the odd emissions scandal. 

still find this whole topic strange... my 2016 estate has no cabin boom at all, at least I've never noticed it and nobody that has travelled in my car has mentioned anything, which you think they would given how much an issue it is apparently on some cars?

Plus road noise isn't an issue either?!?! my wife's mini is much worse and the qashqai I had before the ocatvia was noiser too. Strange really

9 hours ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

Can anyone please confirm whether this booming problem affects estates as well as the hatch. I ask this as in another thread that I created someone has posted that it only affects hatches.

I think it's more of a case of figuring out if this affects you than the car having a problem. I've never noticed this with my facelift Octavia. Best bet would be get a two day test drive and see if it bothers you or not

• Like 1

It seems like a lottery as to whether you end up with a car with this problem. The thought of spending between £14-16k on a car that may or may not have this problem does not seem like a good idea. Where the cars for sale are located (100+ miles away) I'm going to end up with a relatively short test drive on probably different road surfaces to where I live so i could quite possibly have a test drive with no problem and then start to notice it when I buy the car and approaching home.

Much as I wanted to like the Octavia I'd probably be better off looking elsewhere for my next car which is a shame.

It'd be interesting to start a list of those affected... what year/model/body shape/wheel size/tyre to see if there is a pattern of those affected

I'd still bet that it's a tiny proportion of cars sold that actually suffer this problem

• Like 1

On 19/10/2017 at 11:07, NikEd said:

It'd be interesting to start a list of those affected... what year/model/body shape/wheel size/tyre to see if there is a pattern of those affected

I'd still bet that it's a tiny proportion of cars sold that actually suffer this problem

I think this might be a personal thing. Maybe people who are more perceptable to air pressure changes. Like my son hates flying his ears get really sore. He doesn't complain in the car but if we drive up mountains he does...

On 18/10/2017 at 11:04, SWBoy said:

This isn't a problem that affects only Octavias (of all trim levels), but they do seem to be more prone than some other cars.

A few years ago when I was working on active noise cancellation systems we were asked by Jaguar to look into this problem on one of their models, yes we could solve it but not in a practical way - it needed a 24" sub-sub-woofer to cancel the buffeting as well as the road noise.

Don't write off the Octavia without having a test drive yourself.

I know what you mean. I drive some different cars at my work and I have notised the same kind a boomy noise generating at low engine rews on some estates. Although very subtile, but present and I've only notised it now while being aware of the noise in my Octavia. It's very quiet and starts to be slightly audible when engine rew drops too low. It gone as soon as you shift gears.

I have spoken to the dealer about it and file a complain, but I don't think they will do anythink else than say it is a design flaw.

Went to the service and on drive with the mechanic, and he concluded that the engine rews are too low when the noise starts to generate. He said I should shift gears sooner even if the sugester gear on display show different.

On my Octavia (2017, 1.6 diesel, estate) it's only audible at 1250 rpm and trotle is realy not responsive there. So the noise, in my opinion, must be engine initiated, and then vibration travels through the body/interior and ends up resonating in the back of the car's boot.

I think, there could be a single piece of the puzzle we just need to find it and deal with it, or it is all due to a thiner body which resonates differently than other cars. And of corse lack of adequate sound deadening. By the way, the thickness of the metal on the octavia is like half the thickness of my previus car (VW Passat).  I think even Renaults have thicker bodys.

So glad I've opted for Canton sound upgrade. Just pop up the volume. It solves the isue.

1 hour ago, octavarium said:

On my Octavia (2017, 1.6 diesel, estate) it's only audible at 1250 rpm and trotle is realy not responsive there. So the noise, in my opinion, must be engine initiated, and then vibration travels through the body/interior and ends up resonating in the back of the car's boot.

In-line 4 cylinder engines have a significant out of balance force at twice engine speed (which cannot be fully cancelled by rotating balancer shafts), this generates vibrations in the body which can induce cabin resonances - this is the major cause of low rpm booming (of course there is also road surface generated booming and wind pressure pulse booming to consider).

At these low frequencies the mass of sound absorbing material (and anti-resonant pads) needed is very large, hence why price sensitive manufacturers like Skoda suffer more from this issue than premium brands who can charge the cost of the extra sound absorbing material.

6 and 8 cylinder engines have less of a problem as their out-of-balance forces are much lower...

I have a vrs hatch and there is a booming sound between 70-80mph, it doesn't do it all the time though....

Would you worry ?

My issue is not rev related, not road speed related - it occurs at any speed from about 30mph onwards and at any rev.

It's as if the whole bootlid is vibrating. If someone tries to open a rear window there is HORRIFIC buffeting and they end up having to close it again.

I've tried and tried and tried and tried and tried to adjust the bootlid, but NOTHING helps.

Otherwise its a good car, I just have to try and ignore this annoying vibration.