Hi All,

Just joined after reading this thread....

About 2 weeks into ownership of vrs mk3 tdi & finding I've got the same booming noise as described!

It's like the buffeting you get if you open a rear window at speed on any car, however this occurs with all windows closed & seems worse at about 35mph (doesn't matter what gear).

Annoying on a brand new car - I think all mk3 owners should report issue to dealer to force Skoda to come up with a factory solution.

Would be keen to hear of anyone else suffering the same.

Cheers,

Dave

I have reported this issue to Skoda UK via their website. I will wait to hear from them. I may drop in to the dealer tomorrow when I have the car and see what they say.

I had a call from Skoda UK. They said they have had no other comments from other O3 owners of a noise from the cabin when driving. They asked me to make an appointment with my dealer to get them to check it out. I have their number to contact them if the dealer can't resolve the issue. I will post an update after my appointment with the dealer.  

Hi All,

We all need to report/book in with main dealers - the more this issue is flagged to dealers, the more Skoda will have to react!

Hi!

I have reported to the dealer. I did a drive test with one mechanic and he confirmed the noise. We did a test for the dumpers and during that test the noise was very loud.  

We did the same test with their drive test vehicle and the noise was the same.

The dealer said there is nothing recorded at Skoda regarding this issue, so I made a letter describing the problem and they promissed they will send it to the factory.

In my opinion the noise appears because the vibration of the dumpers/springs are transmitted to the chassis and the trunk acts like a big amplifier and sounds like a drum.

I wonder if adding some sound proofing materials (like Dynamat) to the trunk can help by reducing the vibrations.

Edited by baspri

Hi Baspri,

I also own a new Seat Leon FR which uses same MQB platform - Absolutely no noise evident at all on the Leon

It makes no difference whether the back seats are up or down either & I usually have my boot fairly full (salesman) so you would think that the contents would absorb any sound?

Car booked in at main dealers next Monday 13/01/14 - so will advise what they say

I have booked an appointment a week tomorrow. Let's see what happens. I will mention other Octavia users reporting the same issue on this forum to them. I agree with davehiggins07 that we all need to report this to our respective dealers. Otherwise there will be little chance of anything happening to sort this issue.

Interesting that iDENTITi has other problems!

From day one my rear wiper didn't work - now replaced under warranty

And today the right hand control buttons on mf steering wheel packed up - back to the dealers again for me!

This is my fourth new Skoda, not sure I'll have another with all these issues - Dacia could probably do better?

Interesting that iDENTITi has other problems!

From day one my rear wiper didn't work - now replaced under warranty

And today the right hand control buttons on mf steering wheel packed up - back to the dealers again for me!

This is my fourth new Skoda, not sure I'll have another with all these issues - Dacia could probably do better?

Apologies to the OP for off topic..

The list includes smell of diesel/exhaust in the cabin, scratched glossy window trims, Bluetooth faults, and the climate misting my windows.

All denied by the dealer, apart from the trims!

Hi!

I have reported to the dealer. I did a drive test with one mechanic and he confirmed the noise. We did a test for the dumpers and during that test the noise was very loud.  

We did the same test with their drive test vehicle and the noise was the same.

The dealer said there is nothing recorded at Skoda regarding this issue, so I made a letter describing the problem and they promissed they will send it to the factory.

In my opinion the noise appears because the vibration of the dumpers/springs are transmitted to the chassis and the trunk acts like a big amplifier and sounds like a drum.

I wonder if adding some sound proofing materials (like Dynamat) to the trunk can help by reducing the vibrations.

The MK 2 had issues like this and dynamat on the spare wheel well and then boot floor, followed by some cloud9 underlay between this and the boot floor solved the issue.

I think it's just down to the fact that one of the areas they save money on the Skoda over the VW/Audi brands is sound proofing.

Dynamat Extreme or Dynapad? Which is best? I wouldnt say ive experienced the low frequency boom that others have, but on certain road surfaces (namely concrete motorways) there are annoying noises from the rear of the car which at first gave me a headache. Its getting slightly better as suspension loosens up, but soundproofing at the rear does need improving I think. Im not taking the whole car apart, so id just do something simple like the boot floor. Not sure how possible/ easy it would be to put extra soundproofing around the rear wheel arches. Never bothered with soundproofing before, so no idea whats best!!!!

Just an update on progress with my car: there has been no news from Skoda and I am no further forward with the noise problem except to say that I find I seem to be getting more used to it, except for those times when I am on a poor road surface at low speed, causing it to be particularly bad.

I think that Skoda are only going to deal with the issue if enough people report it to their dealers. The car has proved exemplary in all other respects, which is a pity.

iDENTITi- Can you send your car to any dealer for warranty repair work? Perhaps another dealer may be easier to deal with, and more willing to admit the problems. Im not sure whether thats allowed or not.

Does this inflict both the hatch and estate?

Took a 2.0 TDi SE estate with 16" wheels and standard suspension on a test drive some weeks ago and cant say I noticed any such problem. Was alot quieter and more refined than my 2013 MK2 vRS TDi estate

Edited by pipsyp