I put some dynamat extreme down.

What I did notice was that when I had my full size spare wheel out to try and locate the source on the MK 2, it was significantly louder. On some surfaces it was almost drum like.

Since few cars come with a spare these days and this could be why it's noticed by some and not others on the older cars.

If in doubt, stuff an old towel in the spare wheel well and pop something heavy and non fragile on it and see if the mass damping makes it reduce.

Can't say I've noticed it on my hatchback. I do have a spare wheel with the polystyrene toolpack inside, plus the heavy rubber boot mat. So maybe it is a soundproofing issue with some.

So despite not hearing this 'booming' sound, I do have noisy rear suspension, depending on road surface. Having read that German thread, I checked my shocks. I have the serial 512 513 FQ.

So seemingly i have one of the shocks that seem to cause most of the problems according to our German friends.

• Like 2

Oh, and as i have the full size spare, that could be why i dont hear the full 'booming' effect.

I have the full size spare and I still hear the "booming" noise. More ammunition from the German site though. Feeling more hopeful that there is a fix on the horizon for this issue.

Last October test drove an Elegance 150 DSG hatch and a vRS 184 DSG combi back to back. More likely tyre roar but the vRS had noticeably more cabin noise on the road than the Elegance, or from what I remember of running around Lincolnshire for a day in an SE 1.4 TSI hatch back in May. Although from both the lower power cars there was an obvious presence of the torsion beam suspension thumping away at the back over road imperfections.

TP

Just an update on progress with my car: there has been no news from Skoda and I am no further forward with the noise problem except to say that I find I seem to be getting more used to it, except for those times when I am on a poor road surface at low speed, causing it to be particularly bad.

I think that Skoda are only going to deal with the issue if enough people report it to their dealers. The car has proved exemplary in all other respects, which is a pity.

I've also noticed the problem on uneven roads, the road between Kiveton and Harthill is particularly bad, I guess my 18" wheels don't help, but definitely didn't notice any problem with the Superb and that also had 18" wheels.

A question for all those that have this 'booming' noise. Does your rear suspension also feel quite stiff? Is it unable to soak up any imperfections in the road? As ive mentioned, i dont have any noticeable booming noise, but my rear suspension has refused to loosen up, and you can feel every imperfection in the road. The front suspension is OK, but not the rear. Worst road surface is concrete motorway. Probably not helped by the speed you are doing. That sends noise all through the cabin (worse than my previous 8yr old Ford Focus), and at times gives you a headache. Rough motorway surfaces can sometimes be noisier as well. Usually from the rear i think. So whilst i dont have any low frequency booming noise, does the rest sound like symptoms you are experiencing? Going to take it out for a good drive on Monday, and if I still think the rear suspension is too stiff and unforgiving, Im off to the dealer. See if they will replace the shocks.

So despite not hearing this 'booming' sound, I do have noisy rear suspension, depending on road surface. Having read that German thread, I checked my shocks. I have the serial 512 513 FQ.

So seemingly i have one of the shocks that seem to cause most of the problems according to our German friends.

Where exactly can one find this serial number on the shocks? Just curious whether I'm used to it or I have the 'replacement shocks'.

Mine was a clear sticker facing the rear of the car. When i looked at the shocks (the diagonal tube leading from the wheels) from the rear of the car, the sticker was quite obvious. Then it was a case of getting underneath the wheel to get close enough to read it.

Just a case of getting down on the ground and looking underneath the car from the rear.

Checked and I have the same ones - 5Q0 512 013 FQ. So these are supposed to be the 'bad' ones or?

same here, however by reading that german thread you can't get a definitive proof that this part is "good" or "bad" as some users managed to have it replaced it and the "problem" is still there while for others apparently that solved it.

I couldn't say as I don't know precisely what is the noise with the others...My opinion is this issue is kind of subjective: for some it may rumble too much, for me it does not bother me too much to tell the truth (and I even have sports suspension) ... fact is TSI engine itself is so quiet and smooth that you just get more sensitive to all other noises.

FYI the thread in question is here: http://tinyurl.com/qalf4lj

Edited by martinko

The shocks that havent solved the problem have had the letters 'DK' at the end of the serial. The shocks with the letters 'EA' seem to be solving the problem.

One things for sure, everyone saying they have noisy or booming suspension has the 'F' as its first letter.

Theres no point getting them replaced unless you can be guarenteed of getting shocks with the serial number- '5Q0 513 049 EA'. This would seem to be your best bet.

• Like 1

Well mines are FE and till now they sound normal to me (picked up my car on tuesday). Not the quietest rear axle i have driven but they dont bother me and they are on sports suspension. I still think the researched sample is way to small to make definitive conclusions

I dropped off my car at my dealer this morning after trying to demonstrate the "booming" noise coming from the rear suspension to one of the technicians. However, I got a call in the afternoon saying that they checked the suspension and it was all okay! They removed some sort of plastic trim under the car that may be causing an issue. When I drove it home the noise was still there - no difference. I will be getting back in touch with them tomorrow. I may need to get Skoda UK involved if my dealer is not going to do anything. The noise is unacceptable on a brand new car. My previous Skodas have all been fine. It is the first car I have been in that has this issue. Not happy with this. The rest of the car is great. Shame really!!

Tell them whats what. Tell them you want the shocks replaced to start with (but not shocks with the same serial number).

Looking at the suspension is rarely going to tell you if the car is 'booming' or not

Booked car back in for next Thursday. They will have to put trim back on underneath the car that they removed. Also contacted Skoda Uk again and have been quoted a case number for the issue. Not sure what will happen now. Will have to wait and see I suppose. Adamant that there is definitely an issue with the car somewhere that is causing this booming despite the garage saying that they checked the shock absorbers etc!!

Anyone else had their dealer check this issue out. Any feedback?