Clutch Click! Driving Me Mad!

Mikhail

Somebody please help. The Clutch is driving me INSANE! every single time you go to change gear a giant click is heard and felt! Been to Skoda who are lying through their back teeth and B/S'ing me, telling me it's "normal". Though on the test drive, there was no problem at all. There was no problem with my car too! Until 2000 miles on the clock, then it began and hasn't stopped since! Took the car to the garage and in the mean time had a courtesy Citigo, believe it or not. No clutch click!

I'm fed up of hearing that it is normal. It clearly isn't!

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!

Hi. Strangely I had a clutch pedal noise and felt a very noticeable click under my foot on upward release on one long journey I made. Tewkesbury to Crewe on the M6. The traffic was 5-10 mph all the way from Birmingham. Barely got out of 3rd and after repeated usage of the clutch it just started. Next day, straight down the M6 no problems; clutch fine (no noise, no click) and never had the problem since. Odd. Never hsd that on a car before. Hope you get it sorted.

ours did it from new, but now at 2000 miles rarely hear it, what ever it is it seems to wear in and sort itself? strange

to me it feels like a return spring on a pedal slipping off a guide or something, but not stuck my head under the dash to have a look

• 3 weeks later...

Ive recently purchased a Citigo loved it from the minute i got it in August but i have now got a clicking noise on my clutch which is rather annoying im nearly at 3000 miles cars booked in for Friday so hopefully no more clicking noise!

My clutch pedal clicks occasionally, usually after a long period when it hasnt been used. I'm not too concerned at the moment. I guess a plastic pedal wont help and because of this id guess it probably is normal and a "quirk" of the car.

In my case ill not worry unless i think the pedal becomes difficult to press or it is difficult to engage gear.

In any case, VAG dont have the best record when it comes to gearboxes and clutch pedals over the past 15 years or so!

well i took my car in yesterday to be told there was a problem and they needed to take my gearbox out and replace parts the receptionist told me not to drive my car to Leeds on Monday and a car would be dropped off at my house for me to use i left skoda to return to work got there to another phone call asking me to come back as another technician wanted a test drive i went back and now he's telling me that skoda technical are saying its just how the car is made which to me is a joke as it shouldn't take a 4 month old car to make that noise in the past week if that's how its made not happy with the service up to now and i will take this further if need be

Mine always makes a slight noise on normal to quick changes, but if i take my time releasing the clutch its silent.

Im not worried about the bit of noise though, unless it starts affecting the operation that is.

Keep us informed

Why the sad smile?

At least they're going to look at it for you :)

Save the sad smile until they tell you its normal on a citigo :p

Just a thought -I suppose it's possible that the sad smile reflects LC13's chagrin that VAG have sold her(?) a brand new car with (what's beginning to look as though there's) a problem with something as simple as a clutch operating mechanism.  It's not even something relatively new like a twin clutch DSG....maybe it could be said they're still developing that after just 10 years....(mine has just had a new clutch pack after 10,00 miles)......but a simple manual clutch and gearbox?????  surely that should be a fairly basic item to produce by now? 

Maybe the sad smile reflects an element of disappointment?

But it's not just VAG.  Hyundai spent from 2008 to the present perfecting their i10 clutch and gearbox (clutch judder, squealing bearings and other associated problems) and whilst some owners had new clutches fitted under warranty lots of others were told "it's normal" or "you've worn the clutch out yourself"....often after extremely low mileages. (I speak at first hand on this one....judder developed after a few weeks and a new (modified) clutch was fitted after MUCH debate and protestation)).

It's fine when you buy a brand new car and it has no significant problems but a disappointment to find that it has, on several occasions, have to be to be booked in, emptied of all your bits and pieces, delivered, left there, loan car arranged if applicable and make sure it's got the right amount of fuel in it when handed back, collected again, put all your stuff back in it....and that's without any negotiation regarding whether it's a warranty fault - or your fault - or no fault.

And on top of that you start to wonder if you made the right choice in the first place.  I've had new cars that haven't given a scrap of trouble (including Honda and Toyota) and I've had others that have (including VW, Skoda and Hyundai).

Yes, I think that's what the sad smiley was for.

Edited by oldstan

Maybe the sad smile reflects an element of disappointment?

But it's not just VAG.  Hyundai spent from 2008 to the present perfecting their i10 clutch and gearbox (clutch judder, squealing bearings and other associated problems) and whilst some owners had new clutches fitted under warranty lots of others were told "it's normal" or "you've worn the clutch out yourself"....often after extremely low mileages. (I speak at first hand on this one....judder developed after a few weeks and a new (modified) clutch was fitted after MUCH debate and protestation)).

It's fine when you buy a brand new car and it has no significant problems but a disappointment to find that it has, on several occasions, have to be to be booked in, emptied of all your bits and pieces, delivered, left there, loan car arranged if applicable and make sure it's got the right amount of fuel in it when handed back, collected again, put all your stuff back in it....and that's without any negotiation regarding whether it's a warranty fault - or your fault - or no fault.

I completely sympathise with who how you feel. I have a different problem with my clutch. Phone calls, inconvenience, wasted trips to the dealer..... I've own two Skoda's before and I've had no complaints, they were good cars. There is something wrong with the quality on the Citigo.

Yes guys, I totally get what your saying...

It was meant to be a light hearted remark that obviously come across wrong.

I really do empathise with anyone having problems, and as oldstan says it is a disappointment when things go wrong on a new car, and all the hassle that comes with it.

I was joking about how they'll say its a quirk of the car, not poking fun at your predicament at all.

I apologise if that's how it came across...

Note to self, think more before posting!

It's a quality to be admired when someone openly accepts that they might, just, have, maybe, said something which was taken the wrong way, even if just in a minor and none too dreadful way.  When typing emails and forum posts the easiest thing in the world is to say something in jest or with heavy irony...and give the wrong impression altogether.  If I had a pound for every time I did it I'd be..... well.... a good number of pounds better off.

I was/still am  waiting for someone to say, in reply to my observation above, that "if Toyotas and Hondas are so great then why don't you sod off and get another one".  And a valid point they might well have indeed. If you don't like a particular thing then why keep it if you can get shot of it easily enough?  And the reason, in my case, is that the Mrs. and  I happen to like the particular Skoda that we have and that my dealer has been good in dealing with the problems I've had. And, realistically, there haven't been that many.  To the degree that, as will be seen in my post on the Yeti section, I've arranged and paid for an extended warranty and will keep it for a further year, at least.  All the time it gets attended to in a professional and efficient manner then I'll suffer the glitches that I've had especially as they, mainly, relate to the DSG box and i find it such a pleasure to drive that I'll suffer having a replacement, failed, clutch pack (hopefully just the one) provided I don't have to pay for it: that would give me the 'ump!

But it remains the case that I hold Toyota and Honda in high esteem when it comes to customer service and reliability....and I don't think I'm entirely alone.  I have a friend who was a confirmed VW man through and through but who suffered at the hands of his glass palace dealership when  problems occurred and the resultant poor experiences he encountered were enough to send him packing.  He went to Honda and is unlikely to return for another basinful of high handed, dismissive inefficiency from his local VW dealer.   Shame, coz they're not all as bad as his.

What a shame VAG can't display enough confidence to offer 5 yr warranties as per Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, Vauxhall.  Or offer straightforward and low cost one and two year extended manufacturer warranties as Ford do...remarkably cheap...starting at £130    http://www.ford.co.uk/BuyingandprotectingyourFord/Warranties/New-Car/Extended. Anyone who has tried to get to grips with the vagaries of Skoda extended warranties will know how tricky it can be.  Far better to buy it from new if you know you're going to keep it for 4 or 5 years. (Same applies to the servicing plans too).  See the, several, threads elsewhere on the site (Yeti included).

The end.