My point is that the EDL only works on the FL Scout on the front wheels - the back is an open diff. I have found that in very icy conditions on hills that this limits the effectiveness of the 4x4 system. EDLs on both axles would be an improvement.

My point is that the EDL only works on the FL Scout on the front wheels - the back is an open diff. I have found that in very icy conditions on hills that this limits the effectiveness of the 4x4 system. EDLs on both axles would be an improvement.

OMG the quoting is working for me today!!

Anyway, which generation Scout do you have Les?  I have the pre FL and it has Haldex 2, this is open diff in the back.  FL Scouts had Haldex 4 rear diffs which could divert drive from one side to the other.

Which would mean this new Scout isn't any different in function to the old.

While VAG call it "EDL", the name is *******s, it is simply electronic traction control braking the spinning wheel to speed up the not spinning one.

I have a facelift MkII, which is Haldex 4, and I've witnessed the open diff 'in action'. The lockable 'torque vectoring' diff was developed at the same time and used in a Saab, Volvo and Land Rover but wasn't used on the Scout.

I have a facelift MkII, which is Haldex 4, and I've witnessed the open diff 'in action'. The lockable 'torque vectoring' diff was developed at the same time and used in a Saab, Volvo and Land Rover but wasn't used on the Scout.

That's really interesting.  My car was preFL and the Haldex 4 was the only part I felt I was missing out on.  I'm sure I saw a 3 wheel roller test video of the scout, but I can't find it now.

I found that roller test video: 

Edited by Kiwibacon

Looks like it has it then. I thought it very strange it would only apply to the front wheels. The ESP is fully capable of braking each wheel individually, so I was surprised to read that Haldex didn't.

Very soon now it is appearing on Skoda sites across Europe.

What we need now is list prices!

I spoke to my dealer yesterday.. they don't have prices yet for the Scout and don't think the order books will open to the early summer. With first deliveries not before the end of Q4... bloody annoyed!!! Skoda always do this, then **** about for months. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just signed up :)

The more I learn and see of this new Scout the more I am sure it's for me. Seems like I'll have to wait until sometime in 2015 though as I am an Aussie. There's some photos I hadn't seen before along with the above video at this site; http://www.inautonews.com/video-skoda-detailing-octavia-scout#.U8Cg9MsaySN

Cheers, Rob

New Octavia Scout price and specification announced

Tough new model is now available to order

The all-new, super-tough Octavia Scout is now available to order in SLi with a choice of two powerful engines: 2.0 TDI CR 150PS 4x4 DPF manual and 2.0 TDI CR 184PS 4x4 DPF with direct-shift gearbox (DSG).

First revealed to the public at the Geneva motor show, the new Octavia Scout has rugged mouldings on all sides that protect bodywork featuring ŠKODA's new design language. It uses an average of 20-per-cent less fuel than the previous Octavia Scout, but offers better traction thanks to the latest all-wheel drive with the fifth-generation Haldex-5 clutch.

Specification highlights (over SE)
• 17-inch Polar alloy wheels with anti-theft bolts
• Three-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel with Scout logo
• Amundsen touchscreen satellite navigation system
• Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with humidity sensor
• Colour Maxi-DOT trip computer
• Cruise control
• Door mirrors in silver
• Door sill trims with Scout logo
• Floor mats
• Improved front approach and rear departure angles
• Increased ground clearance (33mm higher)
• Lane assist
• Light assistant (coming home, leaving home, tunnel light, daytime running lights)
• Rain sensor
• Rough road package
• Scout badging at front and rear
• Scout body styling: front and rear bumpers, sills and wheel arches
• Scout-specific front fog lights
• Side mouldings in black
• Sunset glass
• Under-seat storage drawer on passenger side

Prices
Octavia Scout Estate

2.0TDI CR 150PS 4x4 DPF £25,315.00
2.0TDI CR 184PS 4x4 DSG DPF£27,990.00

Other information
• CO2 emissions: 129g/km (150PS) and 134g/km (184PS DSG)
• VED band: D (150PS) and E (184PS DSG)
• Insurance group (50): TBC

So about 2k less than I was thinking they'd be wanting for one! :)

• Like 1

Pity we can't get the 184 with a manual box. Thanks SUK! Though I'm still not keen on the rear bumper. Yes, prices look better than expected.

Yep, a 150 manual with high beam assist, VBF, metallic paint and a detachable towbar. Done.

Roll on autumn 2016 when the current PCP will be winding down!!

Niall

New Octavia Scout price and specification announced

Tough new model is now available to order

The all-new, super-tough Octavia Scout is now available to order in SLi with a choice of two powerful engines: 2.0 TDI CR 150PS 4x4 DPF manual and 2.0 TDI CR 184PS 4x4 DPF with direct-shift gearbox (DSG).

First revealed to the public at the Geneva motor show, the new Octavia Scout has rugged mouldings on all sides that protect bodywork featuring ŠKODA's new design language. It uses an average of 20-per-cent less fuel than the previous Octavia Scout, but offers better traction thanks to the latest all-wheel drive with the fifth-generation Haldex-5 clutch.

Specification highlights (over SE)

• 17-inch Polar alloy wheels with anti-theft bolts

• Three-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel with Scout logo

• Amundsen touchscreen satellite navigation system

• Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with humidity sensor

• Colour Maxi-DOT trip computer

• Cruise control

• Door mirrors in silver

• Door sill trims with Scout logo

• Floor mats

• Improved front approach and rear departure angles

• Increased ground clearance (33mm higher)

• Lane assist

• Light assistant (coming home, leaving home, tunnel light, daytime running lights)

• Rain sensor

• Rough road package

• Scout badging at front and rear

• Scout body styling: front and rear bumpers, sills and wheel arches

• Scout-specific front fog lights

• Side mouldings in black

• Sunset glass

• Under-seat storage drawer on passenger side

Prices

Octavia Scout Estate

2.0TDI CR 150PS 4x4 DPF £25,315.00

2.0TDI CR 184PS 4x4 DSG DPF£27,990.00

Other information

• CO2 emissions: 129g/km (150PS) and 134g/km (184PS DSG)

• VED band: D (150PS) and E (184PS DSG)

• Insurance group (50): TBC

So about 2k less than I was thinking they'd be wanting for one! :)

Where is this info online? 

Is there anywhere that the Scout is on the car Configurator on Skoda's sites?

I like the "off-roading" they show in that video. You could do that in a VRS without even trying... Could've done better to show why haldex 5 is better over the FWD cars.

Otherwise I like the wheels and the interior. Not that keen on the bumpers though, they don't really seem to match the rest of the car.

• Like 1