Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

skodapeter - as I wrote in my update #10 above I went from 3984 to 5270. As I wasn't sure if 5270 would work I also had several intermediate levels available to try. Anyway, I now have the 'Testmode' extended secret menu and 'Radio text' which is useful. I also have 'Video In Motion' too but wouldn't use it. There is no noticeable difference in performance.

As to where did I get it? The moderators of this site don't like us to post that info so all I can say is Google for it or use a torrent downloader if you know what that is.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, forgive my poor translation. I read the post and read the 5270 firmware can be put on the 3t0035680e, However, in the txt document inside the 3t0035680e reference does not appear. # Project: VWRNS # Author: MaGo # Steckbrief: C_EU_13.270_t2 C10/C12 # CommentStart: This is a SWL CD for VW delivery. # CommentEnd: # Integrationphase: Delivery cw45/12 C10/C12-samples # VwSwPartNumber: 1T0035680L/3T0035680G/7F0035680B #/7E0035680B/1T0035680P/1T0035680Q/3T0035680K/3T0035680L/1T0035686/1T0035686C/1T0035686D/7F0035686/7E0035686/3T0035686/3T0035686C/3T0035686D/7N5035686/2H0035680 # VwSwIndex: 5270/5270/5270/5270/5270 # AppsBuild: C_EU_13.270_t2 C10/C12. Can I get the rns 510 3t0035680e? Thank you..

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question, I have just retrofit a RNS 510 to my fabia vrs and have no sound. I have been told I need to re configure the audio channels. Is this easy enough to do because I don't really know where to start, or should I just go to an auto electrician?

If its just the CD player, could it be this:

http://www.my-gti.com/1336??

Adam

Sorry, no, it's the radio and nav too. The sounds from the unit when you select things on the screen too, so the audio channels thing sounds like it needs to be done, also, how do I know which generation unit I have and which I had previously? Edited by chrismaidstone

Columbus is a Generation 3.  But as you say this issue sounds different.  There is a setting in the Columbus relating to acoustic feedback which if ticked should certainly lead to the noises when you select things being present.  If it is already ticked and you are getting no sounds I would be looking at the connections at the back of the unit to ensure the speakers are properly connected.

Also it could be coding related, have you coded the unit with VCDS?  One of the settings relates to the optional 12 speaker system which if you haven't got, but have ticked in the coding can affect the sound. Is it possible that the previous car the unit was in had this option?

Adam

KBPhoto, Its a Mk 2 Vrs.

adamal, an auto electrician looked at it today and he said its not a coding issue. He said its the speaker connectors inside the unit and it will cost more than its worth to fix. I got it from ebay so will be sending it back for refund and will look at trying to find another one that i can test before i buy next time.

Thanks for your help tho guys.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this thread with my upgrade experience.

My Columbus came with:

DSC_0284_zpsdqtdypvm.jpg

I then downloaded a modified version (Video in motion enabled) of the 5270 firmware.

Tried a couple of DVDs and CDs and the only ones it like were some cheapo Tesco CD-Rs.

Started the update then got a downgrade error for some reason.

So I enabled the downgrade option in the hidden menu and it went ahead.

Seems to be working well. Start up time is much quicker. Just waiting for it to get a GPS fix as it seems to think I'm in Germany.

Phil

If it thinks it's in Germany, then that is Regensburg Syndrome, but I thought that only effected early units on late firmware (at the time).

It may cure itself if left on for a while.

Have a search to find solutions.

It eventually got a GPS fix (took about 10 mins) and updated.

It since doesn't think it's in Germany. It must have reset the GPS info so needed to get a signal from scratch.

Phil

Another update for anyone with a pre-fl Octavia and Maxidot.

I was having problems with the maxidot getting stuck in the audio or navigation screen and the only way to get out was to switch the Columbus off and back on again.

I managed to find a gateway fix for the 5270 firmware here:

http://vwnavi.com/volkswagen-factory-fit-navigation-systems/rns-510-mfd3-navi-system/firmware/13672-unofficial-272x-software-swl-recovery-cd.html

Now it works perfectly.

DSC_0301_zpsyofm6sb2.jpg

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anyone

I am retired.

I am not tech minded and have had my superb 2 since new (09 plate) and love it. But I would like to upgrade the Columbus unit

I can't access the version details, held the setup button for 2 minutes.

Have spoken to the local dealer in the past with very little help.

can I be pointed to someone/dealer that will be helpful

Thanks

Roger

Roger

If you are not happy taking out the unit you will need a vcds scan to enable the secret menu and establish the existing firmware version. But its really easy to pop out the unit and look at the sticker...

Im nearby-ish in Newport if you prefer the vcds route. Feel free to PM.

Adam

I'm inbetween Hereford & Worcester and, if you are up this way, drop by as I have VCDS & firmware disks that will probably be suitable for your Columbus.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm inbetween Hereford & Worcester and, if you are up this way, drop by as I have VCDS & firmware disks that will probably be suitable for your Columbus.

Hi,

I am brand new to Skoda and this forum.

I have a FL 2009 Octavia with the Columbus system. Are you able to update the maps for me? Also, is there an update to put in full post codes?

I am based locally ish in Bristol.

My Columbus system has a button called 'Traffic' instead of the pictured 'TMC'

Many thanks, Andy

$_57.JPG

Edited by abys

I can't send PM: possibly because you don't have enough posts yet!

Or because you're less than one day old!

Hi. Yeah, I only joined yesterday. :)

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance. Andy

• Like 1