Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

Just now, Rustynuts said:

I'll be honest and say I'm not sure about Bluetooth compatibility with earlier software versions on the Columbus. I don't know exactly what issues you'd encounter, other than perhaps if you wanted Bluetooth streaming you'd need to replace the loom on the Bluetooth module perhaps.

There was a thread running on the Superb II forum a couple of day back (started several years ago), many pages in it so I may have missed some detail but it was mentioned a few times that it was advisable, maybe necessary, to run the latest firmware.  It may be that this is only necessary for advanced features such as SMS and music streaming, neither of which I'm too interested in anyhow (and I don't think iPhone will allow SMS anyhow), as long as I can get calls and my phonebook I'm happy.

15 minutes ago, Gdcobra said:

There was a thread running on the Superb II forum a couple of day back (started several years ago), many pages in it so I may have missed some detail but it was mentioned a few times that it was advisable, maybe necessary, to run the latest firmware.  It may be that this is only necessary for advanced features such as SMS and music streaming, neither of which I'm too interested in anyhow (and I don't think iPhone will allow SMS anyhow), as long as I can get calls and my phonebook I'm happy.

You're correct about the iPhone. It doesn't use rSAP so you can only use the Bluetooth connection for voice calls and streaming music/audio. 

14 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

You're correct about the iPhone. It doesn't use rSAP so you can only use the Bluetooth connection for voice calls and streaming music/audio. 

That must explain why I cannot connect my Kodiaq's Columbus to the internet using my iPhone. I have ordered a data sim, but just need to find out how to operate it, any suggestions?

Edited by Paymaster

45 minutes ago, Paymaster said:

That must explain why I cannot connect my Kodiaq's Columbus to the internet using my iPhone. I have ordered a data sim, but just need to find out how to operate it, any suggestions?

What are you putting the data SIM in?  I use a mobile WiFi hub (MiFi?) but never used in a car, just link other devices directly.  I tried in my wife's Mazda but that wouldn't connect to it but then none of the tech seems to work properly in that car so don't think of as representative. 

2 hours ago, Paymaster said:

My Columbus has a data sim slot so I will try there!

1 hour ago, Gdcobra said:

Makes sense.  Later versions have more modern features.

It's not the same Columbus....... The current Columbus unit has been in use for a couple of years now and is a totally different model..... It just has the same name. ;)

This thread is regarding the original Columbus unit fitted in older cars not current models. 

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 1

Well I got a v14 map disk and tried to install the maps without modifying the Columbus but each time the update progress bar got towards the end it would then start over again. 

I left this running as I thought there may be several parts to the install but after about 4 hours decided this was never going to happen so I abandoned it and went back to read post #1 of this thread. There is a suggestion that as map sizes have grown the HDD partition which holds the maps (particularly on older units) is too small and suggests using firmware 4120 modified to allow a larger, 35%, partition for the map. I followed the install procedure and this has all gone OK.  My unit now indicates SW-4120. Another change I've noticed is the direction indicated in the MFD has gone, which I'm less than happy about!

I then tried installing the maps but got same behaviour as before,

So what can the problem be?

Having thought about this I can think of 3 possibilities (there may be more):

The DVD drive is struggling to read the disk.

The disk appears to read OK in my PC but perhaps the Columbus DVD is a bit more fussy. One possible way around this would be to install this from SD card, I've seen some suggestions of this in this thread but how do I do this? I copied the DVD files to an SD card hoping this was all that was necessary but the system just ignored it.

Partition size still too small.

Even with the larger partition from the modified 4120 there is not enough capacity. Or perhaps the v14 maps are not compatible with 4120.

Maybe I can try a later firmware. Is there a later firmware which I can us with 3T0035680B HW=H11? Maybe giving a larger map partition on the HDD?

My model of Columbus is just too old for latest maps.

Obviously in this case I may as well give up, in this case I'll look out for a later Columbus with DAB. I'm assuming the later units are compatible with the rest of my car?

Thanks on advance for any help or pointers.

There's a rumour going about that the maps are now too big for the partitions on the hard drive, and it's essentially *******s. What the problem really is, is that people have buggered about and changed all the partition sizes on all the downloadable firmware versions (and called them "modified") to squeeze the most hard drive space for music. If they left the partition sizes as VAG initially made them then the maps would still fit. So then someone has gone and further modified the modified firmware to give back some of the lost hard drive space. People love to play with things ... :dull:

However, all that aside, you now have a firmware which is supposedly providing a big enough partition to fit the new maps on, and they still won't go on. I'd guess you have a hardware fault (poorly dvd drive) which isn't allowing the maps read to finish. It's also possible that the 4*** firmware you've loaded could be contributing to the issue as I've had poor results with those and reading dvds for maps.

All told, if you can't load the maps on then there's a few options, some of which might be what you need.

You can try and load the maps on from an sd card but this involves using a firmware update to fool the unit into thinking the sd card is a dvd, and although it works it can also cause major issues if it fails. I'd only do it as a last resort.

You could sent it to me and I'll repair it and load your maps on for you.

I can sell you a DAB version for a good price.

Edit: As regards the direction instructions in the dash display, you've updated the firmware and wiped the coding which tells the car what to display. You'll need someone with vcds to recode it correctly.

Edited by Rustynuts

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your prompt response, I may well take you up on one of your offers but would like to continue with this a little longer.  I hate being beaten and in truth probably don't know when I should give up!

since putting the 4120with 60/35/5 on I notice that my HDD capacity is reported as 16.75Gb available for music, which is about right for 60% of a 30Gb disk however prior to the update I believe my disk was indicating 13.(something) Gb available when I first tried to put music on it which works out to just over 40% which indicates that the partitions had been altered in favour of the map area (presumably about 15Gb available for maps).

I'm quite happy to allocate more to the map area, all if necessary, but how can this be done?  I have looked though the files to see if the partition sizes were in one of the text files but no joy so presume hard coded.

Edited by Gdcobra

Hi Gdcobra,

what year is your car?

When I updated a 2011 Octavia Columbus to 5238 all went well but I had to install the latest maps from SD card. 

When I updated a 2012 VW Passat RNS510 (Columbus) to 5238 I lost the Nav display on the dashboard (between the tachometer and the odometer); the fix was to use VCDS to code BAP for the head unit but there is another bit flipping coding fix that you can find online. V14 maps loaded first time from DVD.

5238 is definately recommended (RDS text display etc.) but I would not go any higher.

BTW

Hi BTW

Thanks for the advice,  in the end I have gone for a later unit, mine was an early one, and had obviously been updated in the past but I think was just not up to the job of running the latest maps.  I'm also happy to have the DAB radio and a bit more internal music storage.

• 2 weeks later...

Needing a map update and having been quoted £295 by local main dealer decided to explore the options available. Read the article by AJ7788 from back in Dec 2013 and thought will give this a try. Downloaded firmware EU_4020a_FW_60_35_5 from RNSfirmware and bought a set of maps from a Satnav dvd company RNS510/810 MAP DVD V14 and over Easter plucked up the courage to try. Maps cost me £25.

The firmware update went sweet as anything taking 53 minutes and performing exactly as AJ7788 described. Thank you AJ7788, as I did not bother about the seeming periods of inactivity nor the restarts. Checked for secret menu and sure enough I now had it and it told me

Delivery Part No 3T0035680B

HW Version H03

SW Version 4024.

Steering wheel buttons work, Unit accepts SDHC cards 16Gb. Had noticed that Jonboy 984 had exactly the same screen after updating his firmware in September 2014. Obviously no maps loaded at this point.

Put the map disc in and kept getting CD/DVD Disk Error. Gave up in frustration and emailed the supplier who suggested cleaning the drive heads. Noticed that KbPhoto got it to work by leaving it and going back to it. Everything else was working fine, music re-installed, radio working, phone link. The DVD loaded OK in my computer so am thinking it is the reading of the double layer DVD or not a good DVD. Tried re-burning the DVD as per 2Skodafamily

So based on what I have read here I am now thinking either, try earlier maps version Rusty nuts Sep 2014 or Firmware fix and use SD card adamal Sep 2014

My problems are Earlier map version, if the one I bought doesn't work will I be wasting money on an earlier version. SD option download link not available and Rustynuts says use only as a last resort.

Any advice on next step greatly appreciated.

Have decided to go down the SD card route. Now have a link to the site so just need to find the download and give it a go.

Just to close my posts off it turned out to be the DVD I bought not working. A massive thank you to adamal for all his help and advice. Now got maps up and working. The SD card links I followed are no longer active.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 31/12/2013 at 13:19, Camberley_Chris said:

Success - I have just updated to firmware 5270 and software (maps) 8048 (and have photos to prove it).

Before

Delivery part number 3T0035680E

HW-Version                 H61

SW-Version                 5270

Active map coverage  West Europe

Active map supplier    Navteq

Map version HDD:      7918

After

Delivery part number  3T0035680K

HW-Version                H61

SW-Version                5270

Active map coverage West Europe

Active map supplier   Navteq

Map version DVD      8048

It all went smoothly (a couple of scary long pauses during firmware upgrade) and after just the firmware upgrade I still had the v9.0 maps, POI's and music on HDD as before since this was an 'upgrade' firmware image and not a 'factory' image that removes everything. 

I then upgraded from v9.0 maps to v10.0 which is much easier as you can run the car, listen to radio/music while the DVD rattles away for almost an hour.

I now have the 'Testmode' extended secret menu and 'Radio text' which is useful. I should have 'Video In Motion' too but haven't tested it yet.

So I have a new operating system and new maps to start the new year - Happy New Year to all our readers too!

Where did you source your discs from Chris? Thanks

Gosh, that's an old post, I'm way beyond those levels now.

Currently my firmware is at 5274 (though I don't expect any new versions for this old Columbus) and maps are v14 8477 and I'm looking for v15 which should be out in the next few weeks.

As for the source of my updates I'm not really allowed to say as the moderator doesn't like that - even though Skoda is notoriously hopeless at providing this information and service.

All I can say is that Google is your friend here. Good Hunting! 

2010 Skoda Superb, factory fitted Columbus. 

Should I upgrade to the very latest firmware (seems to be 6276) or am I fine going with 5238 which seems to be the default choice? If I upgrade to 5238, do I need to get new maps as well?

How do I find out what version of maps I have atm? 

18 minutes ago, fredfred said:

2010 Skoda Superb, factory fitted Columbus. 

Should I upgrade to the very latest firmware (seems to be 6276) or am I fine going with 5238 which seems to be the default choice? If I upgrade to 5238, do I need to get new maps as well?

How do I find out what version of maps I have atm? 

Woah there!

6xxx firmware is only for C14 units which already have 6xxx firmware. If you did install 6xxx on an older unit, it's gonna brick it!

Tell us what you have, ideally from the sticker on the top of the unit.

Do you have access to VCDS as there is a chance you'll need the unit recoding if you update the firmware...

3 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Woah there!

6xxx firmware is only for C14 units which already have 6xxx firmware. If you did install 6xxx on an older unit, it's gonna brick it!

Tell us what you have, ideally from the sticker on the top of the unit.

Do you have access to VCDS as there is a chance you'll need the unit recoding if you update the firmware...

This is why I was asking.... I removed the unit last night for a different issue but didn't think to record the unit details. Will do so tonight and report back. 

So I have:

Unit: 3T0 035 680 B (according to secret setup menu)

HW: H05

SW: 4024

Maps: 7918

So... I *think* I can go up to 5238. Is that correct? And what might be the latest map files? 

Edited by fredfred

So the clearest summary I have found is this:

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/forum/car-navi-system/car-gps-systems/volkswagen-seat-skoda/32206-vw-rns-510-skoda-columbus-i-firmware-guide-downloads

1. Everyone can use firmware 5238 and newest maps
-> You can always use firmware 5238 on any device from 2005 to October 2013 (with HDD). *Hardware C3-C12*.
-> You can update directly to 5238 with no need for an update in between.
-> An update version will not reset the coding.
-> *The only exception are SEAT devices from 2007-2008.*

2. Who can use firmware 5274?
-> Hardware C6-C12

3. Who can use firmware 6276?
-> Hardware C14 starting from November 2013 (HW Vehicle 0xCE01; with SSD).

As far as I can tell, 5238 adds radio text in addition to what's in 4020 (which is what I currently have). Not too much of an upgrade but I might give it a go, just because. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 23:17, fredfred said:

So the clearest summary I have found is this:

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/forum/car-navi-system/car-gps-systems/volkswagen-seat-skoda/32206-vw-rns-510-skoda-columbus-i-firmware-guide-downloads

1. Everyone can use firmware 5238 and newest maps
-> You can always use firmware 5238 on any device from 2005 to October 2013 (with HDD). *Hardware C3-C12*.
-> You can update directly to 5238 with no need for an update in between.
-> An update version will not reset the coding.
-> *The only exception are SEAT devices from 2007-2008.*

2. Who can use firmware 5274?
-> Hardware C6-C12

3. Who can use firmware 6276?
-> Hardware C14 starting from November 2013 (HW Vehicle 0xCE01; with SSD).

As far as I can tell, 5238 adds radio text in addition to what's in 4020 (which is what I currently have). Not too much of an upgrade but I might give it a go, just because. 

Radio text was introduced with 4120 which I've had on mine for three and a half years now.

Edited by WaveyDavey

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2013 at 23:30, AJ7788 said:

Hi all,

Thought this might help someone else so I have put together a little guide on upgrading firmware and loading maps on the Columbus unit.

**PLEASE NOTE: Neither myself, or anyone associated with Briskoda.net is responsible for upgrading your unit, it is done at your own risk as there is a chance you can brick your unit**

First of all you need the relevant firmware for your device - some doesn't work with older versions, or there are some modified versions about. The firmware is available freely and you can have a look at http://www.rnsfirmware.com/ or http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment (some links on this site doesn't work, but the alternative download does seem to work) to find the relevant firmware.

**YOU WILL NEED YOUR MAPS DVD AFTER INSTALLING NEW FIRMWARE AND YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ALL MUSIC, ETC THAT HAS BEEN SAVED ON THE HARD DRIVE!**

For reference, my Columbus is part number: 3T0 035 680 A and on top of the unit it says HW: H42, SW: 2724. I downloaded the RNS510 firmware 4120 modified for Europe from the http://www.rnsfirmware.com/ link (File name is: EU_4120_FW_70_25_5.ISO).

The next step is to burn the ISO image onto a disk, for this I used Astroburn Lite which is an add-on of Deamon Tools Lite. You can use any image burner software for this, as long as you don't just burn the acutal .ISO file onto the disk as this will not work. An important note is to burn at the lowest speed available! I used Verbatim DVD+R disks and burnt it at 4x speed.

Once this is complete you are ready to update your Columbus. The instructions for this is simple, put the key in the ignition but do not start the car. Turn the Columbus on and insert the disk - you will be presented with the following screen;

2013-12-15091309_zps5a1cd563.jpg

The unit might restart but you will be presented with this screen after a little while;

2013-12-15091411_zpsb48b63dc.jpg

You have about 10 seconds to press OK or it just continues automatically anyway.

It took about 50 minutes for the firmware to update, there were multiple restarts and some odd noises coming from the unit, but this is all normal! Some during update screenshots;

2013-12-15091449_zps9f2db609.jpg

2013-12-15094700_zps2fae0472.jpg

Once all the stages has completed you will be presented with this screen;

2013-12-15094934_zps70866b3f.jpg

Remove the disk and the unit will restart. I think mine just turned off so I had to turn it back on manually.

To confirm firmware has been installed press and hold the Setup button until you can see Version Info - press on this and it will show SW-Version - in my case it was 4120. At this point the map information will just show "-" as no maps will be loaded.

Now to install the maps;

Insert the maps DVD into the Columbus (The map disks are copyrighted so you will need to visit a dealer or buy an official map DVD disk). Nothing will happen on the screen when you insert the disk other than some noises where the disk will sound like it is being read. To get the screen up to show you how far the update/install process is press the eject button on the CD/DVD slot and the following screen will come up;

2013-12-15102000_zps99dee27c.jpg

This process took around 40 minutes and in the end this screen was shown;

2013-12-15103420_zpsbfb18c37.jpg

Press on "Eject" and the disk will be ejected. To confirm maps has been loaded correctly press and hold the Setup button again until you can see Version Info. Press on this and you will see Active map coverage which in my case is "West Europe", Active map supplier will be "Navteq" and the important one "Map Version HDD" which again in my case is 8048 (This is VW V10 maps for reference).

2013-12-15103504_zps04775612.jpg

2013-12-15103457_zpsf9299883.jpg

Success! And your all done :)

Wanted to say thank you to a couple of members on here for loads of advice and putting up with a million questions from me :D especially; adamal and KBPhoto.

Any questions, I'm sure someone will be able to give the answer so ask away.

This was a great guide - it all worked well.  It did not delete my maps, which was a bonus.  My unit had been re-starting itself every 10 minutes, with really slow satnav that could not remember any more recent destinations. 

The only problem I now have is that with the newly installed firmware (4120) I get no nav instructions or media data to the maxidot display.  Any ideas anyone?