Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

On 15/02/2018 at 15:49, WaveyDavey said:

You should get a progress bar whilst the Maps are updating then a message to confirm when it has finished. Then just check the map version number to confirm the new maps are installed. 

Progress bars only seen if "tap" the eject button while process under way, which feels hairy as a "full" press aborts the installation process by DVD ejection.
Saw only a brief prog bar, no completion message, no auto eject on completion, and second "tap" did eject the DVD, which did not give confidence update had happened OK ; so only the maps version to say it has been done.  

For peace of mind, it would still be nice to know a piece of map that  was new to the current version, to check that more than just 4 digits on the status screen had changed...

• 1 month later...

Hi folks

This is an incredibly useful thread. I have a Columbus in a 2015 series 2 superb. I believe the maps are version 11 or 12. Do I need to update firmware before updating to version 15 maps?  I have had a good read through and get the impression I don’t but don’t want to break my new toy!  Thanks for your help. 

• 6 months later...

It's been a few years since I posted on this thread when I had a few issues with an older Columbus unit. Thanks to members on here I managed to sort my issues.

Fast forward a few years and I now have a Columbus DAB.

When starting the car today, the Columbus will not get passed the start up screen, restarting every 30 or so seconds.

I have tried a soft reset, removed and reconnected the battery, removed the SD card and CD etc etc and nothing seems to work.

I have tried searching but this could be anything from a software to a hardware issue.

Any recomendations?

I'll look tomorrow Rustynuts and post back here.

Coincidentally, from previous posts, you supplied the Columbus DAB unit to the previous owner of my car, tubbytommy!

Edited by Jonboy984

11 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Indeed, that name sounds familiar. Curiously, he's neither fat, nor called Tommy as I recall.

Yes, neither fat nor called Tommy :D

Anyway Rustynuts, I have just started my car and the Columbus is fully working.

I am confused as to what happened but clearly leaving it over night has done the trick. Hopefully software was just having a wobble.

For my future reference, part no is 3T0 035 686 N, HW is H27, SW is 6276 and map version 8477 (v14)

Do you recomend trying to diagnose the issue or just be grateful it's all working?

Thanks Rustynuts.

16 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Indeed, that name sounds familiar. Curiously, he's neither fat, nor called Tommy as I recall.

Bit like Red Rock Cider then?

It's not Red and there's no rocks in it according to Leslie Nielsen  IIRC

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2018 at 12:38, Rustynuts said:

It'll probably start doing it again, this seems to be the current trend for those units. Shoot me a message if it misbehaves.

As predicted, it did start happening again. 

Many thanks to Rustynuts in assisting me in reflashing software 6276, all is working perfectly now.

Thanks once again Rustynuts.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Rustynuts.

Do any of the downloadable map updates include a speed camera database? p.s. I tried one site to download free maps but they wanted credit card details so I declined that one.

Skoda Superb 2014.

My unit has:

HW: H23, 

SW: 6270

Map 8048

If I eventually mange to find a download site for the maps will it downgrade my software to 5238 and what effect will this have?

Many thanks

Andy

Car version (1) (Large).jpg

Car version (2) (Large).jpg

Edited by Discusb
Added photos

25 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

No maps update will change the software level of your unit. You have 6270 software and that's where it's going to stay, unless you decide to upgrade the unit to 6276.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What would be the advantage of upgrading to 6276?

I'm probably happy with where it is and will likely buy a map from a popular selling site.

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2019 at 19:57, Rustynuts said:

No real benefit in upgrading. I can't see any difference between them personally.

Hi Rusty nuts , I'm very new to this forum , having only picked up mt 2015 2.0 Superb L&K . Still not too sure how to access the menus on the columbas .

But this is what I've got 

My unit has:

HW: H27, 

SW: 6276

Map 8195 

What are my options if you could explain .

Thanks in advance .

Sharkman

1 hour ago, sharkman said:

HW: H27,  Nothing there can be changed.

SW: 6276, That's fine, nothing newer.

Map 8195, Can be updated to the latest maps, Version 8536 (V16) which are dealer purchase, find online and download, buy from ebay etc.

What are my options if you could explain .

Thanks in advance .

Sharkman

Good Morning.

I'm a bit new around here, so please excuse me if I ask questions that have already been answered.  Trust me I have searched, but come up with no answers.

My 2012 Superb badly needs its maps updating.  However, I have a couple of problems I think I need to resolve before I try this.

Firstly, I cannot delete old destinations, nor will the unit remember any new ones for more than a few minutes before reverting to the old list.  It does clear the list when I perform a reset, and appears to store the new destination I program in, but then, after a few minutes, dumps the new destinations and comes back with the old ones.

Secondly, occassionally on a restart the GPS appears to "lose its way", often showing a position some distance from where I actually am.

I have attached an image of my Columbus part no, hardware and software details.

20190419_140049.jpg

You need a flash wipe performing on the unit, and it sounds like you might need a new GPS antenna. Antenna a few quid off eBay and the flash memory needs to be performed here on the desk or by someone with the correct hardware and software.

5 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

You need a flash wipe performing on the unit, and it sounds like you might need a new GPS antenna. Antenna a few quid off eBay and the flash memory needs to be performed here on the desk or by someone with the correct hardware and software.

Thanks for your response.

I see you're in North Yorkshire, while I'm in Lincolnshire, near Hull. I'm not averse to a drive up to your neck of the woods, but wonder if you know of anyone nearer to me capable of flashing the unit.

Also, while I'm at it, do you consider it possible, or worthwhile, to replace the hdd with a larger ssd before updating the firmware and maps?

Could you advise on the firmware version and maps to use; I've downloaded a couple of versions already, but read conflicting comments as to which to use.  I have also  noted comments about the possibility of problems and the rare need to revert to the original firmware, but cannot seem to find a copy of my firmware version online.