Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

@VWSverige: how old is your car?

If later than 2007, you should have no problems upgrading straight to this in one go, specifically designed for your unit: http://www.rnsfirmware.com/firmware-4020-for-older-units-in-europe-with-hdd-rations-60355/.

It will need a music and map reload though and you might need to run a fix on the steering wheel buttons and maxidot, see towards bottom of
http://www.my-gti.com/3374/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-and-information.

If it is pre-2007 you might also need to apply the battery drain fix (using the link above).

Checked my Colombus and the maps version has not changed from Dec  when I picked my  car up 3 weeks ago  , I do however seem to have a lower HW version on a brand new car.

Yeah i noticed the maps require a DL-DVD but the firmware appears to be 600-odd MB so wondered if there was a specific reason it mentions to burn it to a DVD rather than a CD.

Cheers

Dave.

My experience is use good media but I think that's more important for older units with weaker lasers (like mine). But for me its always been CD (not DVD) too, and also as kb says, burnt as slow as possible, and verified too.

Adam

The burnt slow thing is what I'm worried about..... Whenever i burn a CD on my PC it says the slowest available is 16x. Even if I select 1x or 2x it comes up saying that the slowest is 16x speed which is what it then burns the disc at.

Cheers

Dave.

That's what I meant by slow as possible. Basically you are constrained by your hardware. Essentially don't go faster than the minimum available.

Adam

I found that Tesco CDs work a treat! I tried a more expensive one and it spat it back out at me.

I've just tried doing a maps DVD for another member and he's having some problems with the progress bar restarting so I may need to try a different DL DVD for that.

Phil

Updated mine today to 4120 and v9 maps. Had an issue with the Columbus reading the firmware disc when burnt on a DVD but it was happy when it was burnt on a CD. Maps went on fine using the same DVDs as the failed firmware one.

Cheers

Dave.

Where did u get the update from dave. Internet or skoda

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

I have a 5270 update disc that I've used and another member has just used in his superb to update with.

Phil

Ok..... one thing i've just noticed since the upgrade..... When i'm transferring music to the HDD it shows the capacity for MP3s as 25gb!!! I'm sure before the update it showed the capacity as something like 18gb??? I also used the 4120 70/25/5 version which, i've now just realised, apparently isn't suitable for the new v10 maps??? I have these installed and working ok....

I'm a little confused now.... The HDD is a 30gb drive isn't it??? As it would appear that i have a 40gb drive...... (40gb HDD would have approx 37gb available to use and then 70% of that is roughly 25gb). That's the only way i can think that mine can be showing the capacity it is doing for music but still be able to store the v10 maps without it being the 60/35/5 version of the 4120 firmware?!?!?!

Although that still doesn't explain why, before the update, the unit was only showing a capacity for music of around 18gb???

If it's any help the car is a '60' plate and was registered at the end of November 2010 and looks to be a 2011 spec car (MY11???) as the bluetooth works fine with our iPhones???

Cheers

Dave.

There is a chance it is a 40gb hard drive as they were made with 40gb drives back then. I reckon the newer firmware is possibly better at quantifying the space. Somewhere in the setup menu it shows the full detail.

The 60 35 5 version is mainly a precaution, there is enough space on the 70 25 5 version for v10 maps but with 30gb hard drives and useable space constraints etc, it is tight. Some users had reported the map update cycling towards the end probably as the space got closer to being used up, and so 60 35 5 was created. But I imagine there are probably plenty of users with 30gb 70 25 5 and v10 happily running, especially on less old units where the internal processors etc might have been improved.

I would look in the setup and see if it tells you the full detail of the HDD and see how it stacks up against the 70 25 5 ratios you have and the corresponding expected values for 40gb.

Adam

It is possible to 'hack' the firmware and adjust the percentages allocated to the three partitions.

There is details on an Australian VW forum: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/how-re-partition-hdd-your-rns510-62954.html

And also about putting a larger SSD in: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rns-510-hdd-replacement-ssd-swap-diy-60984.html

I have now checked in the hidden test menu and when checking the HDD details it does indeed say hard drive manufacturer is Hitachi and size is 40,000,000,000 so looks like i have a Hitachi 40gb HDD fitted in my Columbus. :)

Cheers

Dave.

Just out of interest..... All the sites i'd been using for info before updating to fw4120 mention it has the option of male or female nav guidance voices. Mine is still on the default female voice but i can't seem to find an option anywhere to try changing it.

Anyone changed theirs? and if so how do you do it?

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Guys,

New to the site but this is exactly what I am looking for. However im a slight technophobe, and not sure I will be able to find the mapping and firmware or do the copying stuff.

Is anyone able to help me out ? im in the Bath area, and would like to update to latest version. Currently on sw version 3984 and map version 7551.

I have a early 61 plate superb, but no discs or anything if it all goes wrong.

Also does the v10 mapping come with the speed camera information ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give

Not much to be gained from a firmware update as you are on a recent one anyway. Your maps however are version 7 so quite out of date.

Sourcing maps is a lottery depending on your dealer who charge wildly varying prices. Mine wanted silly money but you might get lucky with yours...