Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

And the difference is..?

These maps are the ones just released by VW in June.... The map data is from the end of 2013 beginning of 2014. For myself a major road upgrade near here that involved turning a single carriageway road into a dual carriageway road along with removing two roundabouts and replacing them with major junctions (5 and 6 lane junctions) is now on the maps.

Obviously going to be numerous other road changes and additions etc... but this is the one that i checked for with me knowing about it.

Cheers

Dave.

If you have any links then PM them otherwise they'll just be deleted. Links to illegal software or downloads are not permitted on Briskoda.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My current firmware is showing as 1304

Have tried downloading what appears to be 3810A firmware, but keeping getting an error message when trying to load it (010306 I think) - the unit is recognising it as a SWL disc, but then throws up the error

Believe I need this before upgrading to 4020 or 4120?

10383945_838577629506173_618065675903125

You should be able to go straight to 4020 mate. What is not clear is whether you need the adjusted firmware for older units. My first inclination is you don't and that is why you are having trouble with 3810a.

Do you have the secret menu or VCDS?

Adam

You should be able to go straight to 4020 mate. What is not clear is whether you need the adjusted firmware for older units. My first inclination is you don't and that is why you are having trouble with 3810a.

Do you have the secret menu or VCDS?

Adam

I read somewhere that you need 38xx first to split the drive into 3 instead of 2, as 4020 doesn't split it

I do have the secret menu, that's how I managed to get the above screenshot

I also have VCDS

post-37884-0-06579500-1409156942_thumb.jpg

The 4020 does the partitioning too. Of course you have the secret menu, I'm being dull today!!

If you scroll down that menu there should be a hw radio number. That should help determine whether you need an adjusted firmware or standard. 1304 is a funny one that is newer than some 2 series ones. Also do you know the rough age of the unit?

Brimma: is your Columbus 3T0...A and HW:06 (or higher)? Or a 1Z0?

Look on the sticker not the menus as these may be different due to previous firmware upgrades (although unlikely in your case).

If so you can go straight to 4120 without issue (this adds radio text over 4020, but that's about all).

Agree with kb on this. It is pretty crucial to ascertain the original part number. I believe the hw radio field I mention isn't changed by a firmware update which is why I mentioned it. There is a useful resource here too:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/firmware-updates-european-rns510-units-70579.html#post799562

Brimma: is your Columbus 3T0...A and HW:06 (or higher)? Or a 1Z0?

Look on the sticker not the menus as these may be different due to previous firmware upgrades (although unlikely in your case).

If so you can go straight to 4120 without issue (this adds radio text over 4020, but that's about all).

I'm a 1Z0, HW:H05 originally, 30.08.2008

In which case, using the resource above I would advise going for the 4020 link.

4120 will be a bridge too far for that older unit (apparently can damage the radio board).

Yes - I'm on it with a similar unit!! 4020 is also available in modified format as per the link above, or rnsfirmware.com, and slightly faster than 3810a in my experience.

• Like 1

Did it finish ok?

It did, it's fully loaded, just need to check that there are no issues with maxi dot, then load maps

I appear to have got some brightness back which I had lost with the previous firmware

Thanks for your assistance, I think that is now about as far as it will go

• Like 2

Even if it will go further all you'll gain is radio text (which is point lesson many stations around Herefordshire as it doesn't work very well).

Hi,

I have a skoda scout 2009 with rns510:

3T0035680

HW H03

SW 0904

I’ve installed 4024 60/35/5

The navigation info and compass has disappeared from MFD (the maxi dot screen) butthe wheel controls work. The phone also works and it displays in mfd.

Any information anyone,how to fix?

Thanks

By the way, I've done this upgarde in order to fix the continuously rebooting problem which appeared sudently(after the logo screen the unit was rebooting)

I first pulled out the hdd and checked for bad blocks.One software was reporting a few but different ones each time (bear in mind that the windows scaner can't scan only but the maps partition as the other one is not fat32) so I've went for the firmware rewrite.

Swl didn't fix the issue