TPS Branches - Which Ones Do or Don't Sell to the Public - A List

trundlenut

• 3 weeks later...

In Exeter's Marsh Barton I see that GSF, ECP and TPS are all in the same road within a few hundred metres of each other.  I bought the required battery in ECP who clearly had no restrictions...they took the old one off me as well.  Presumably ECP are retail with no pretences towards "Trade".  They look as though they're doing OK...open 7 days a week and a boatload of vans in the yard (delivering to whom?,,,trade or retail customers?). It has to be said they were cheap enough compared to most others...and convenient.

In the past I managed to acquire a ticket to Maccess...and spent many hours and many pounds in there and was pretty chuffed at the prices most of the time.

They went broke a year ago...so won't be going there again.  

So what's the relationship between the above three suppliers?  Competing with each other?  Or each serving a particular type of customer and each ticking over nicely?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

New(ish) branch in Warrington will happily sell to public, just have to say it's a 'over the counter' sale.
They used to be a warehouse for most of the NW branches, but have finally opened a counter on site. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been using Stockton-on-Tees branch for at least 5 years now.

Never once been asked if I'm trade or public.

I can cover myself as a mate runs an independent garage but I've found that the easiest way to keep such institutions sweet is to buy something daft at the same time.  I buy the Quantum screenwash concentrate from TPS - good stuff in my opinion.  IIRC, I pay about £12 (INC VAT) for 20 litres.

Plymouth branch of tps are a no-no. Refused to sell me unless I went through murrays skoda. Had to purchase genuine pcv system from Parks motor group skoda franchise and needless to say it cost me an absolute fortune. And that's with a staff discount. Even when the head engineer from the Plymouth depot called from Parks motor group regarding the parts they refused as they don't recognise Parks as a trade even though Parks motor group are one of Scotland largest independent car dealers and the largest independent coach operator with depots in Rochdale and Plymouth as well as Scotland. Can't understand why. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I reckon they have a policy but the staff don't care.  You have to look plausible.  Give them a chance to say to their manager, 'oh, I thought he looked kosher'  A three-piece suit - no;

dirty boilersuit - yes.  And knowing the part number probably lends cred.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:56, Doofy said:

Hell of a lot cheaper than dealers..

I guess it depends on the discount they apply.  They quoted me dearer for a VW part than the dealer.  They said they have to charge the prices set by VW. 

Didn't argue, just went to the dealer instead.  When I got there, the price was the same as TPS had quoted.  Said they'd used an old price list when I called, but honoured it after a bit of a faff.  I suggested discounting it even more but the guy looked at me like I was being ridiculous.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PatS9 said:

not sure if already mentioned but Romford, Enfield, Slough and Hayes in London do serve public.

But don't expect the invoice to be in "your name"! :D

Edited by jeallen01