Windows opened on their own!

skodaiw

My wife has just got back from Morrisons.  It's chucking it down in Lake and the first thing she told me when I went out to help her bring in the shopping was, "The windows were partly open when I went back to the car and it's soaking inside."

She insists that the windows were shut when she left the car, locking it with the fob.  She says it's happened once before.  She came out at the end of work and found them partially open, she never told me at the time, more's the pity!

I've been out to the car and wiped as much rain as I can off the dashboard.  As it's still raining, windy and dark there's not much more I can do tonight.  I'll probably go out tomorrow, remove the back seats and take them indoors to dry them out.

As far as I'm aware the windows can't be opened with the fob, and the only way I know is with the key in the driver's door turned anti-clockwise and held.

Is this correct or has she inadvertantly opened the windows without realizing?

Has anyone else experienced this?  I'd be interested to hear.

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

Thanks for the replies.

She's obviously inadvertantly opened them as she's walked away from the car.

I've got into the habit of trying the door to make sure it's locked due to problems I had with my previous Octavia not always locking, so I would notice this if if happened to me.  She knows now.

It's not raining at the moment, so I'll go out and see what I can do to dry it out. Get the rear seats out and go for a drive, with the air con on and recirculating perhaps.

Thanks again.

Denis

I have a 2012 Roomster TSI 86 and have had the rear passenger window open on its own on three separate occasions.

It has always at this time been difficult to reset. Eventually got the window up by inching it to the top and switching off

ignition. Complained to dealer who supposedly carried out a modification ( a felt strip ) and this has only repeated once

since that time.

Yup..this happened to me.  I ended up checking the handbook, cos I couldn't fathom out what I'd done.... I think if you hold the "unlock" button on the remote for more than a second or two it partially opens all windows (about 5 inches down).  Holding the "lock" button, locks the car and raises the windows. 

Luckilly it wasn't raining when this happened to me!!

Rob

Edited by g1tpo

Denis,

If you do a forum search on "Roomster windows opening" you will find some other examples, together with some Fabia ones.

Seems unlikely that they are all caused by accidentally holding the remote button down (and anyway wouldn't the car be unlocked as well? ).

Might be worth trying to reset the windows by cycling them down and up using the remote as others have suggested, if not a visit to the dealer might get you more than a "you must have held the button down" reaction!

Seems unlikely that they are all caused by accidentally holding the remote button down (and anyway wouldn't the car be unlocked as well? ).

No the car would not be unlocked because if you unlock the doors and then don't open one of them within 20 seconds or so, the car locks itself again.

I now realise a feature of my 2 Octavias that I miss!  The rain sensor for the auto wipers also closes the windows if they are open and it starts to rain. 

I went out and did a 20 mile-plus drive today with the heater and air-con on.  The wettest seat was the front passenger's.  The back has almost dried out but the squab is still damp.  I've just had a look at the car and the windows are getting condensation on the inside.  I think I'll just have to keep going out and wiping the damp off of them.

It took me ages to get back home as every route back was closed due to flooding or fallen trees.

We did have a problem with a couple of the windows going up and not stopping up in summer 2011, when it was very hot.  If I remember correctly this was put down to the fail-safe feature operating and all that was required was the felt runners to be sprayed with silicone spray.  I never had to resort to this and we don't have that problem now as the seals are freer.

Denis

Yes, something to act as desiccant. Silica gel would be best but not an easy thing to find on Christmas eve!

Denis

That's why I thought of rice, probably one thing that won't have sold out in the shops today.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It could be your wife inadvertently activated the 'comfort' option: if you keep pressed the unlock  button on the remote, all windows will open, if you keep on pressing the lock button all 4 will shut.

Otherwise, if (and only if) just one or both rear windows stayed open, it could be a known issue with Roomster's back windows.

See:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/197688-electric-window-problem/

It especially happens using the remote function  - see above - when closing the rear windows, the anti-pinch re-open them because of exceeding friction between glass and rubber seals.

Common fixes are lubricating seals, keeping glasses very clean, waiting for new seals to wear a bit and adapt.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has just got back from Morrisons.  It's chucking it down in Lake and the first thing she told me when I went out to help her bring in the shopping was, "The windows were partly open when I went back to the car and it's soaking inside."

She insists that the windows were shut when she left the car, locking it with the fob.  She says it's happened once before.  She came out at the end of work and found them partially open, she never told me at the time, more's the pity!

I've been out to the car and wiped as much rain as I can off the dashboard.  As it's still raining, windy and dark there's not much more I can do tonight.  I'll probably go out tomorrow, remove the back seats and take them indoors to dry them out.

As far as I'm aware the windows can't be opened with the fob, and the only way I know is with the key in the driver's door turned anti-clockwise and held.

Is this correct or has she inadvertantly opened the windows without realizing?

Has anyone else experienced this?  I'd be interested to hear.

Denis

No, Roomster, Fabia driver but the window after closing machine automatically opens. Problem resolved itself upon arrival at dealership. Miracle.

But on the Roomster I due to pinching close button sometimes all the windows are closed, and the driver opens halfway.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my OP.

My wife is now aware of what can happen if the buttons on the key fob are held down.

The car dried out quite quickly after I removed the condensate from the inside of the windscreen on a couple of mornings after it happened.

The air-con has removed the rest and all is well.

Thanks again and belated New Years wishes.

Denis

• Like 1