Octavia rear bulbs

This may be a daft question but is there more than one type of Brake/Tail light bulb? I finally got round to replacing a blown bulb in my 08 Octavia which is the standard twin filament type that has been used for decades in various cars, I bought 2 new 5w bulbs from a petrol station and when I fitted one, it was very very dim and oddly when I press the brake the same filament lights up just brighter, the other filament never comes on, both bulbs are the same and only go in one way due to the offset pins on the bulb.

Do I need special bulbs or is the cluster (which contains 4 bubs) faulty?

Hope that all makes sense, thanks for the help.

Just had a look at my car. Estates and hatch are different. All bulbs in the estate cluster are single filament. I assume therefore you have a hatch. The handbook says P21/4W bulbs for the brake/rear on the hatch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I know my Passat had staggered post type stop/tail, normal stop/tail lamps did not fit properly into the socket and they switched the wrong element on I.e the brake element was lit when it should have been the tail or vice versa, once got the correct staggered postbtype they all went in and illuminated properly.

Being as Skoda is VAG it would not surprise me if they are similar.

:)

They are def different, I ended up in halfrauds 3 times trying to get the right ones off the shelf... turns out the manuals they have lying around werent up to date.. go and ask one of the peeps in there for exactly what your old one was and they will find it, or the new part number for it.. The 2 small locking pins are in slightly different places so the normal ones dont work as they should..

I ended up taking the old bulb in with me, giving it to them and asking for exactly the same.. got it sorted in the end!! but they are def different!! fact...

1) Hatchback - twin filament.

2) Estate - single filament (CANBUS alters the power to enable a single filament bulb to perform a dual function, brake/tail).

Another point to note is that on the hatch the bulb isn't a 21W/5W, it is 21W/4W. This is why you are having issues.

Ignore the Halfords / online bulb guides, most of them are wrong.

You need an RB566...

RB566.jpg

Most people try and fit the much more common RB380...

RB380.jpg

• Like 3

The hatch has twin filament, the estate has single filament.

Although the picture is incorrect due to the clusters being from an estate, not a hatch (slightly different shape and different orientation for the indicators/reverse lights), but I was hoping most wouldn't notice!

RearLightCluster.jpg

Edited by silver1011

The hatch has twin filament, the estate has single filament.

Although the picture is incorrect due to the clusters being from an estate, not a hatch (slightly different shape and different orientation for the indicators/reverse lights), but I was hoping most wouldn't notice!

I wasn't talking about the pictures, or your post, just wondering why Skoda decided to use different bulbs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Noticed myself recently the Halfords flip chart was wrong it stated type 380.

I went to Halfords today as I needed a new brake bulb for the right side and the current guide says a 382, which is totally different to the MK2 bulb I took in.

When I enquired about if they had a 21/4W bulb the helpful assistant found what I needed, a 566. I asked why the guide was wrong and he didn't know.