My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

I think I must have had more than the regens that I have noticed it's just that most of them must happen and complete during a longer journey of which I do a few occasionally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WOW - I NEVER knew this.  My previous car was a Mazda6 Diesel with DPF.  Nothing about this was mentioned to me at handover, nor was it anywhere I could find in the manual.  But often, the car smelt like burning rubber.  I would often get out and start bending down sniffing each of the tyres, thinking there was something wrong with my alignment - I can't imagine what the neighbours thought of me watching me do this!

This was an ongoing thing every couple of drives or so, during the 3.5years I owned it, and through several sets of tyres.

I wish I'd known right from the start.....

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to get Regen info on the Columbus Unit?

Just think if the regen cycle is displayed, we can actively drive that little bit longer to ensure we get the full regen cycle complete before shutting off the engine?

For instance, if we can see the cycle is at 80% complete, take the car for another 5-10 minutes drive and by the time you get home, the DPF has fully regenerated.

• Like 1

I'd much prefer to drive a diesel but DPF has killed the industry.

RIP.

VAG have already announced that Particulate Filters will start being fitted to PETROL engined vehicles too, so we all better get used to dealing with them...

• Like 1

although I've experinced few regens already, never heard the fans blowing when I stopped the car..

However there is another indication thata ECU gives you, beside Start/Stop,revs, when driving in city the gear shift indicator asks you to stay longer on first gear and asks you to shift later to the next gear from second up.

VAG have already announced that Particulate Filters will start being fitted to PETROL engined vehicles too, so we all better get used to dealing with them...

Particulate filters won't be an issue with petrols as they burn so much hotter. It will be the extra sensors and electrics to go wrong that will cause the problems.

• Like 1

The things that make it more frequent are :

- start/stop system

- fast accelerations, pedal to the metal, specially when cold

- city short diatance driving

- fuel quality

- scheduled regens (fixed)

when you see it regenerating give it another 10 mins driving with load and constant pedal push. Like a dog, give it some time to pee :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do a lot short journeys and most time when I just about pull on drive or to my destination regen starts. I have to either interrupt regen or get it back on road to get it completed.

get it back on road to get it completed.

Am I correct in assuming that this is the best course for DPF health, provided your circumstances allow it at the time?

Realise that VAG do not appear to recommend it but do warn against consequences of repeated interrupted regens. Well the only way to avoid interupted regens is not to interrupt regens

one thing I couldn't find answer for...

when RPMs go high and it's an active regeneration,not due to high power or heat consumtion (you find this usually car ask you to stay longer on 1st,where usually asks for second) :

1. does the city driving in traffic makes any sense

2. does it help to leave it parked idle for 20-30mins

As others have said, it doesn't complete regen if left sitting at idle. Just let it do it's thing and act as the manual states if you get the DFP warning light.

I've done 10k in mine now, never had the DPF light come on and have been in heavy traffic. In actual fact I've not noticed one in weeks even though I sit in the M25 car park regularly on the journey home

For what it's worth without starting a fuel argument I have used vPower diesel religiously for the last 2 months.

Edited by davitc

My MkII greenline hardly ever did an active regeneration even from new. My daily route is about 10 miles, usually at 60 and this journey seemed to provide the ideal conditions for a passive regen.  With my new MkIII greenline, it's doing this all the time and sometimes bizarrely when I get home?

What has changed? The route is the same, my driving style is the same. What has changed is compliance to Euro6 regarding Nox emissions Now the only system that VAG employs to reduce is total reliance on the EGR (no Adblue yet? (taking the P**s)).,

Is it that the EGR is working a lot harder, dumping more dirty carbon rich exhaust gasses through the engine which the DPF has to get rid of by excessive active regenerations.(Why can they not take the supply of inert gas from downstream of the DPF?)

Is this the long awaited solution to the emissions scandal? and will owners of Mk II diesels accept this deplorable outcome?

Also is this the reason that normal driving consumption figures are abysmally below those quoted by Skoda?

This suggests that the quoted/ published MPG figures were obtained in the lab, not only on a rolling road (no wind resistance) but using a car not equipped with either a DPF or a EGR?.

Perhaps Skoda could come back to us withy some answers?

Is this the long awaited solution to the emissions scandal? and will owners of Mk II diesels accept this deplorable outcome?

I think Ron may have hit the nail on the head - this is Diesels emissions scandal 2.

I'm getting non stop active regens, other folk doing the same commute in other diesel cars are not.

I think Ron may have hit the nail on the head - this is Diesels emissions scandal 2.

I'm getting non stop active regens, other folk doing the same commute in other diesel cars are not.

I covered this when I had my TDI vRS a while ago Clicky.  When SWMBO had the car for a while we got 13mpg due to constant regens.

I'd love to know if the new Mk3 FL has this issue.  I was told (no idea how true this is as it was a dealer that told me) that SCR systems have much less issues with DPFs as the adblue allows the engine to run much hotter and create much fewer particles.

I do wonder if diesel is really just coming to the end of it's life when it comes to emissions.

My MkII greenline hardly ever did an active regeneration even from new. My daily route is about 10 miles, usually at 60 and this journey seemed to provide the ideal conditions for a passive regen. With my new MkIII greenline, it's doing this all the time and sometimes bizarrely when I get home?

What has changed? The route is the same, my driving style is the same. What has changed is compliance to Euro6 regarding Nox emissions Now the only system that VAG employs to reduce is total reliance on the EGR (no Adblue yet? (taking the P**s)).,

Is it that the EGR is working a lot harder, dumping more dirty carbon rich exhaust gasses through the engine which the DPF has to get rid of by excessive active regenerations.(Why can they not take the supply of inert gas from downstream of the DPF?)

Also is this the reason that normal driving consumption figures are abysmally below those quoted by Skoda?

This suggests that the quoted/ published MPG figures were obtained in the lab, not only on a rolling road (no wind resistance) but using a car not equipped with either a DPF or a EGR?.

Perhaps Skoda could come back to us withy some answers?

They do take egr from the clean side of the dpf, this is called low pressure egr, unfortunately to meet euro 6 they also have to use high pressure egr which is taken straight from the exhaust manifold so you will be pleased to know that the euro 6 engine has 2 egr valves! Edited by MrAdamwood

Realising now that the big differences regarding regen behaviour experiences in Octavia 3 might be down to Euro 5 v Euro 6.

I had thought Euro 6 was better to go for - A bit more power, slightly better official economy figures, cheaper road tax. Now realise the earlier Euro 5 might be better if you can live with a slightly older car.

Realising now that the big differences regarding regen behaviour experiences in Octavia 3 might be down to Euro 5 v Euro 6.

I had thought Euro 6 was better to go for - A bit more power, Slightly better official economy figures, cheaper road tax. Now realise the earlier Euro 5 might be better if you can live with a slightly older car.

(Replacing the above as no edit available)

• 1 month later...

After 2 weeks of ownership & around 280 miles of driving, I've experienced my first active regen.

I came back home after a 12 mile round trip, switched the engine off & the cooling fan stayed on.

Was only on for 5 mins max, but glad to know it's nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

A quick question, if I may. My commute is basically 20 miles motorway and 5 miles A and local roads. In the cold weather, I often get the faint aroma of what I assume is the burning rubber smell in the cabin, when I have been on the motorway for 10 miles. Is this normal?

many thanks