My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

I have stopped worrying about this as I was initially concerned. I have owned my Vrs for 14 months now and only done 8k miles. My driving consists mainly of city driving commuting to work(5 miles)and the odd venture out and about with an annual trip to France. My DPF Regen kicks in about once a week and it happens whether I've been driving in town or driving national speed limits. I have never as yet had the DPF light come on. I only use BP Ultimate as I think this may help. This was my first Diesel and it was a gamble that hopefully I won't regret :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had my first dpf regen today, only 50 miles on the clock 

instantly knew it was regen as my stop start wouldn't work.

not as loud as I've heard on other cars. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm intrigued as to what is determined a short trip and a long trip...at least in VAGs eyes.

parked up yesterday after around 90 mile motorway trip, and fans were blowing, so assume a DPF regen.  Y usual commute to work is also 35 miles of dual carriageway, so hoping the regens take place during this...

Passive regens takes place every 160 miles (roughly), regardless town or motorway run.  If you download VAG dpf app from android play store, you will be able monitor regen. My car successfully completed every regen for past year (since I use VAG dpf app). Car is over 3 years old with over 80k on clock and dpf is only 7% full. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 13:02, bakili said:

If you download VAG dpf app from android play store, you will be able monitor regen. 

Is it this you are referring to?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf&hl=en

But you need some kind of adapter for this to work?

Edited by toni8b
  • Like 1

I am using it on my 2013 MK7 Golf CLHA engine code and cheap ebay adapter. 

See below  

VAG DPF free is the free version of the application VAG DPF that show you the most important data related to the DPF particulate filter and its regeneration phases using an ELM327 Bluetooth/WIFI adapter. With this free app you can statically view 3 parameters related to the particulate filter status. This app doesn't use standard OBD2 commands as almost all other apps, it uses directly CAN commands specific of car model and this is the reason why it doesn't work with every car; due to the use of CAN commands, the app needs al least a decent ELM327 adapter (see note below); some users reports correct app working with a 10-15 euro adapter.

ATTENTION!! This app works only with VW group cars (Audi Volkswagen Seat Skoda) that are equipped with engines listed below; for diesel engines not listed is not guaranteed the full compatibility, so if you anyway buy the app, consider that some or all functions couldn't work correctly.

Engines supported:
CRBC (2.0TDI 150CV)
CFHD (2.0TDI 143CV)
CUNA (2.0TDI 184CV)
CFFB (2.0TDI 140CV)
CFWA (1.2TDI 75CV)
CLHA (1.6TDI 105CV)
CXXB (1.6TDI 110CV)
CAYC (1.6TDI 105CV)(partially on Passat 3C MY10)
CAHA (2.0TDI 170CV)(beta, requires verification)
Tested by users:
CFGB,CFGC,CJCA,CRMB,CUPA,CUSA,CXFA,CAYB,CAYD,CRLB,CUTA,CFHC,CAGA(*),CSHA,CJCD
(*) = partial support
IMPORTANT some of the engines above may be incompatible, it depends on the engine software version.
Others engines of the same family may be compatible, but they are not yet tested. The list is constantly updated.

You need the full version to show oil ash level which is how full the dpf ultimately is in gramms of oil ash.

The free version shows the soot level which is how full it gets  prior to a regeneration. 

Edited by Redfab
  • Like 2

Redfab,

can you please confirm that I got it right - Oil Ash level is the permanent level of DPF being filled (3%), as result of regens?Where 63% is the soot level (equal to 15 grams)

tmp_3644-Screenshot_20170418-2254312079474385.png

Edited by TTodorov
  • Like 1

Yep that's it.

63% and 15.15g of soot is how the dpf is filling up leading up to the regen.

Mine regens about 88% and 21-22g. 

2.2g of oil ash is the oil what the regenerated soot converts to. That can't be changed. Mine is currently at just over 20g. 2009 1.6 tdi 45k miles. 

(Unsure where you get 3% from)

Edit. See the 3% now. Never noticed that before. Going to check mine out now!!

Edited by Redfab
  • Like 1

What's your oil ash % showing with 27g then bakili?

Mine is 29% with just over 20g. 

I think TTodorov has quite a new car with just 3%.  

• Like 1

Not aware of any iOS app. I contacted the author of vag dpf app.  He said he has no iOS version nor the time to make one. Fair enough as he's only a 1 man developer.

You can't start a regen with it it's just a monitor. 

On Sat Jan 11 2014 at 21:58, Dempsek said:

If you are reading this post do not despair!

The horrible burning smell coming from your new diesel car is OK. 

When you stop and turn the engine off and the fan stays on and the engine seems to be super hot, the car is OK.

The above are clear signs of an active DPF regeneration and is normal for your new diesel Skoda car.

To comply with the latest emission levels diesels have to capture the large soot particles and burn them up into smaller particles which are kept in the DPF, this process is called regeneration.

A lot of regenerations take place during normal driving where the exhaust is hot enough to burn the soot in the DPF and are unnoticed and are known as passive regeneration. 

When the temperature in the DPF is not hot enough for an passive regeneration, the ECU injects diesel into the DPF which burns up the soot and is known as an active regeneration.  When you stop the car part way through an active regeneration, often the car smells like it's burning and the engine fan will stay on to cool the car.

Mods could you please edit this thread (if needed) and make it a sticky or just delete, thanks

Anyone mention having to thrash your brand new car to clear it out? My Skoda dealer did. Mine is auto diesel  so manual over ride to thrash it at over 2500 revs in 3rd or 4th gear. Which I think is terrible but I then used just under quarter a tank of fuel to do it! Wish I didn't pick a new skoda  had them since 53 plate. Utterly disappointed?