Low frequency 'boom' in cabin - Fixed

Hi Bidey, yes I did, weeks ago...Bump Stops... It made no difference to the car at all.

I've just now had the car back from the dealership after 2 days worth of evaluation. The problem is not, spare tyre or lack of, not tailgate maladjusted, or lack of sound proofing, none of those. Its the suspension....the shock absorbers. I tried to tell them this weeks ago.

My dealership asked Skoda if these could be replaced under warranty... guess what they said..., they said NO. Skoda will only do this if they get a large number of Rapid owners complaining about the same issue. 

I now have plans to elevate my complaint further, by-passing Skoda customer services completely...

Hope i can support you, mine has improved a great deal, still there vaguely,,,

It does drive "scittish" around corners though and could believe that the suspension is to blame.

Could be worth speaking to independent suspension expert for advise,, maybe even cost / change shock absorbers if that is a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after saying my Toledo was fine and no niggly little problems, I actually did find one, and it was this booming. Well not actually booming but a buffeting sound I would call it.

After a few trips out now I sort of  got this buffeting occasionally, it was dependant on speed and type of road surface and as I say not always there. Strange I thought and having read this thread from start to the last post I too have solved it. Can confirm it was the rear hatch causing the buffeting noise, just like if you drive with a rear window slightly open at speed down a motorway.

It's all sorted in just a few minutes tweaking the position of buffer/stops on the tailgate, the noise has completely gone. I replicated my journey and recorded mentally at what speed and which roads it was most affected by. Had to take a trip out today since adjusting the hatch and nothing, perfectly quiet and a smooth journey. If I was hypercritical I would say the Bridgestone tyres are a tad noisy but apart from changing them, which isn't going to happen, it's all good.

Well after saying my Toledo was fine and no niggly little problems, I actually did find one, and it was this booming. Well not actually booming but a buffeting sound I would call it.

After a few trips out now I sort of  got this buffeting occasionally, it was dependant on speed and type of road surface and as I say not always there. Strange I thought and having read this thread from start to the last post I too have solved it. Can confirm it was the rear hatch causing the buffeting noise, just like if you drive with a rear window slightly open at speed down a motorway.

It's all sorted in just a few minutes tweaking the position of buffer/stops on the tailgate, the noise has completely gone. I replicated my journey and recorded mentally at what speed and which roads it was most affected by. Had to take a trip out today since adjusting the hatch and nothing, perfectly quiet and a smooth journey. If I was hypercritical I would say the Bridgestone tyres are a tad noisy but apart from changing them, which isn't going to happen, it's all good.

Great Mick,

I was almost considering selling Rapid as i had been all the road to the top in Skoda UK and no result. Then somebody described it being fixed in this forum by garage doing the stops fix. Told the garage and they fixed it no probs. Caused me a lot of time and dosh to try and fix with sound deadening etc.

Reported it in Skoda customer feedback survey just last night

It's a shame you had gone to these lengths to cure this. Had any response from Skoda?

I had a test drive in another Toledo at the same dealer I bought mine from. That had a buffeting noise over a short drive I had. Wasn't going too fast as it was a new car and not familiar  with it. It did have 17" alloys on and I thought maybe they were the reason coupled with high pressures in the tyres, dealers can inflate  them too high.

Mine has 16" alloys which is about the middle ground for ride/comfort although they had 38 psi in all tyres when I collected it, but it wasn't that causing the buffeting I eventually found out.

I do a good deal of searching the web on forums such as this before buying cars, it pays in the long run as you can usually find out all these small niggles that can be easily sorted. It would do no harm in some manufacturers to read them also, they may believe us then when we say we have a problem, and it's not just us being picky or an awkward so and so's.

Edited by MickA

• 2 years later...

I think I recall Bidey may have sold it.  However across the community here the rear door adjustment seemed to be the best fix. Chucking away the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx may help a lot too. Later cars 2014 on don't seem to have been effected as much - there were a lot of quality improvements to the Hatchback after the Spaceback was launched (suspension and steering amongst others).

Edited by camelspyyder

Early Rapids rode notoriously harshly. The Spaceback came with different spring and damper rates which gave better results and the changes were copied onto the hatchback/limousine (depending where you live). I think the power steering changed to all electric at the same time (late 13).

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I've recently bought a late 63 reg 1.2 rapid from a small family run garage. The car has the "spaceback era improvements" I believe.

The car is whisper quiet on smooth roads (like on my test drive) but is like driving a bass drum around my home town. I went home yesterday feeling slightly deaf and actually dizzy.

I have tried tinkering with the boot stops to no avail. Do you think a main dealer would be able to get better results? Are other people still suffering this problem or is it truly solvable?

My dealer's test drive route is on some horrendous bumpy and awful sounding surfaces, I'm surprised they sell anything.

Your noise could be harsh road surfaces v's a poor tyre choice - OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx for instance.

Look at tyrereviews.co.uk to see what real people think of the exact tyres you have fitted.  

Ignore the EU tyre noise ratings. They are just as far from real-world as the EU mpg ratings.

Edited by camelspyyder

If you have recently aquired the car from the dealer my first check would be the tyre pressures. Some will inflate them far too high, thus giving a harsh ride (booming)

For instance driving around 80 miles down the M6 after collecting the car from the dealer I could tell the tyres were overinflated. When I checked them the next day the pressures varied from 35-38psi. Had it before on new cars, even after collecting them from a service.

Anyway apart from that, some makes are noisier than others do recheck the hatch bumpstops too, you may get a buffeting noise at certain speeds with that.

Edited by MickA

Thanks for the replies guys. The car has Bridgestone tyres on. Deflating them considerably under the recommended pressure helps somewhat with the boom in the cabin but I think it is just dampening the vibration of the car as a whole so it booms less. 

Took it to my local Skoda dealer who said they are willing to investigate it for £90 an hour in a few weeks.

I took a loan out to buy this car, and love it apart from this deafening bass that is driving me crazy. After one week of 9 hour shifts in it I am almost ready to cut my losses and get rid (something I actually can't afford to do)

^^^ I don't know what to suggest next. Mine have Bridgestone on, they wouldn't be my first choice of tyre but they came fitted on the car, they won't get changed until I have had the use out of them.

Is it the Spaceback you have?

No it's the hatchback. The tyres look a little perished and cracked on closer inspection. Maybe I should change them. I would be over the moon if that's all it is but can't see it.

Just a thought, mine's got a spare wheel, I suppose that fills the void which could lead to a empty hole causing the noise, booming. Most Rapids I believe needed to order the spare as an add-on or you didn't get one.

As an update:

I have had to start driving round with the hatchback "popped" so it is just on the safety latch. This eliminates 90% of the oppressive bass that fills the car. A bump in the road will cause a pressure wave but that is far better than the constant thunder that fills the car when it is closed.

I have altered the side buffers, the tail stops and the latch itself multiple times but cannot get it to stop when the boot is fully closed.

How did the previous owner put up with this? for 3 years?? Mine is only months newer but has never had this issue.

And the dealer would never have heard the end of it!!

Edited by camelspyyder

How many miles has the car done on the Bridgestones?

I commented about dealers/garages inflating the tyres too high. Mine went in for an interim service last week, first time I went on a long run Monday I noticed the ride was rather harsh, it only clicked half way back home later in the day, tyre pressures.

So today whilst doing my weekly wash and check of the car, must check tyres. Yep pressures should be 2.0/2.1 bar F/R they were inflated to 2.4/2.5 bar. So quite a difference.

23000 now on the Bridgestones. 2.2 in them all. 

I am also wondering how someone could put up with it so long but there is a 50 page thread of people on the Octavia page that have been struggling for years with cars they paid 25k for.

I really wish I could find a solution. 

Some tyres are like Jekyll and Hyde at a certain mileage.

My OEM Contis were smooth riding, quiet and fairly grippy up to 27000 miles.  

At that point the wet grip vanished, and now at 33000 with a still fully legal tread the dry grip is going away to the point where the handling is a lot worse.

Oh, and they're a lot noisier on even slightly rough surfaces.

That said, you don't want to chuck a new set on and find that it's still noisy do you?