Low frequency 'boom' in cabin - Fixed

Had been to SKODA / VW service center in Abu Dhabi to get my Yeti serviced. They offered me to drop back to my home as service could take some time. I was offered the ride back in a SKODA Octavia (new model I suppose) and I was asking the driver repeatedly if he left any window open but he said no. It was really annoying buffeting sound like driving with windows open.

So there is another report from the UAE too.

Hope this will help SKODA UK to escalate it to the factory as it is a 'global' problem.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, Yes, I too have this low frequency booming resonating sound on my Rapid. Only had the car two days and its already becoming a pain!

I think this problem is related to the suspension/chassis set-up and therefore the build date of the car. I personally don't think that changing the make of tyre your running on is going to make that much difference. I've had a few Skoda's and this is the first time I've picked-up on this sort of noise coming into the cabin. From what I can gather, if you have a fairly new rapid, you probably won't have the problem, but if your's like mine is about 12 months or older, then you could well have. Of course some people are going to me more sensitive to this sort of low frequency reverberation than others, I had two separate test drives in this car and still didn't notice the problem until I had taken delivery of the vehicle.  

I'm phoning the dealer tomorrow, then Skoda U.K. , if no joy i'll just sell it on.

As a bass player for the past 27 years my ears are tuned to low frequencies so may be an issue.

If adding a couple of pillows to an otherwise empty spare wheel well partially solve the problem then what you are effectively doing is dampening the box which is the enclosure between the parcel shelf and the bottom of the car.

Removing the parcel shelf opens the box so that the disturbed air can move freely around the cabin dispersing it so that it's less noticeable.

Another option is foam under the parcel shelf or in the spare wheel well. Anything that will absorb the sound waves. Blankets and pillows will help .

I have that same boomy noise in my rapid, I also have a spare wheel and a rubber boot floor mat. I was told the same by my helpful service advisor that skoda have not had enough complaints to issue a fix. BUT as I think I've said before it is probably a cost/weight saving issue and some sound deadening would solve the issue...

I have a 1 1/4 year old Rapid and have spent good money buying self adhesive sound dampening/insulation and applying around spare wheel well (i have one) and boot area including the boot lid (keeps falling off lid Baah).

All to no avail, still have the low reasonant noise present... Its a real pain.

Despite protestations to Skoda UK who said it was not a manufacturing fault and were not enough complaints from customers..So keep complaining and just maybe they could do something about it. have my doubts.

If not it will result in me probably changing the car in a year or so to something quieter that i can live with.

Annoyed Bidey fae Perth

Hi, Took my Rapid back to the dealer yesterday. Went out with a skoda technician, we took the car around various roads in and around the Stourbridge area. Problem is, the roads around Stourbridge are pretty good and well repaired compared to the roads near where I live (some of which are poor) which I'm used to driving on.

I could reproduce this low frequency booming sound/reverberation within the cabin yesterday but not to the extent that I could when driving around the roads nearer home. The technician simply advised that it was no worse or better than other Rapids he had driven, standard response from most motor dealers. 

The technician said he would send a report to Skoda UK regarding this issue and he also mentioned that new Octavia owners had also complained about the exact same problem, so they know that this is an issue that affects at least two current models within the Skoda range.

Next step for me is to write to Skoda U.K. with a copy to the dealer outlining the nature of my complaint. It all seems to stem from the stiff suspension torsion beam setup at the rear of the car and it spoils an otherwise decent car apart from one or two build quality issues which are minor in comparison.

I think the only way of getting any resolution on this is to report/write to your supplying dealer and Skoda U.K., the more owners that do this the better chance we stand of getting something done.  

Hi MickA,

That's not really an answer though ;<( ,,,Skoda UK really need to do something about it. Even if it is admitting there is an issue and offering some guidance / options to remedy if possible?

Hi All,

Following on from my last post on here regarding this really annoying and uncomfortable noise/low frequency boom/reverberated sound that's transmitted through to the cabin over certain road surfaces, and those of us who have a rapid with this know only too well how bad it really is, I have some news.

My Rapid is going back to the dealer next week to have some modifications done on the suspension or at least that is what I understand.  When I've had the work done and have the necessary information, I'll assess whether its any better or any worse. At the moment I'm keeping an open mind.

Stormchaser, Before I purchased my Rapid, I had two separate test drives and It wasn't until I had taken delivery of the car and had been driving it for a few days on familiar roads that the noise made itself apparent over a variety of differing road surfaces.You won't necessarily pick it up on a short test drive...

Edited by Paul MR
  • Like 1

I was thinking of replacing my car in the near future, say 18 months I will be following this thread carefully since with great disappointment befell unto 

Hi All,

Following on from my last post on here regarding this really annoying and uncomfortable noise/low frequency boom/reverberated sound that's transmitted through to the cabin over certain road surfaces, and those of us who have a rapid with this know only too well how bad it really is, I have some news.

My Rapid is going back to the dealer next week to have some modifications done on the suspension or at least that is what I understand.  When I've had the work done and have the necessary information, I'll assess whether its any better or any worse. At the moment I'm keeping an open mind.

Stormchaser, Before I purchased my Rapid, I had two separate test drives and It wasn't until I had taken delivery of the car and had been driving it for a few days on familiar roads that the noise made itself apparent over a variety of differing road surfaces.You won't necessarily pick it up on a short test drive...

Thanks for writing this (highlighted added)

Until this problem can be rectified on all new cars it seems illogical to purchase.

Shame because I considered a Rapid 1.2TSi Tech.

Well to be honest, the problem that I and one or two others have may well be down to the build date of the car. Mine was first registered in Sept 2013, so the build date could be anything up to 6 months previous. If on the other hand you have a New Rapid with a reg'd date of Sept 2014 onwards  (with a much later build date) then you may well not have the problem at all. My previous car was a 2011 Octavia SE with multilink suspension, and the ride quality/road noise couldn't be any different. Thus, when I started to drive the Rapid full time it was only then that I noticed the difference in its underpinnings and this intrusion of road noise into the cabin.

• Like 1

I look forward to hearing what's the result is... I've been very impressed with the aftersales/warranty work thus far both by franchise and skoda uk. I had similar experience of regular "updates" with an early model golf mk5 so the occasional trip to the service department isn't unusual. Yes there is a boomy noise but it still wouldn't put me off buying another rapid! Value for money is fantastic!

• Like 1

Hi All,

SERIOUSLY look forward to this follow up and hopefully some light at the end of tunnel

• Like 1

After doing getting on for 2000 miles in my Sept 2013 Rapid se I haven't noticed any booming , though her indoors says I am getting a bit deaf !

The Fabia's I had before seemed rather noisier and the Rapid seems a better car all round and the boot is like a van.

• Like 1

Well, took the car back to the dealer this week to have a suspension mod done as per Skoda UK's recommendation. This was supposed to fix the low frequency/resonance noise/rumble, but it hasn't made things any better in my opinion. They have offered to look at it again, so I'll wait and see and decide after a few days. Also had both front doors fixed as they rattled/creaked when travelling over less than perfect road surfaces so that's a small step in the right direction. I think I need to test drive a newer rapid and compare that to the ride I'm currently experiencing in mine. My guess is that I'll notice an immediate difference and the lack of that annoying low frequency/resonance noise. From what I've been hearing the spaceback and newer production rapids don't suffer from this affliction. For those who are interested the modification was made to the rear suspension only. It only took 30 minutes to do so not a big job by any means.  

Edited by Paul MR

Our spaceback is running on dunlops and like people are saying its noisy (booming) going over potholes and speedbumps if its a rough surface, I did take out the parcel shelf tonight for a test and yes it is quieter with the shelf down,we have the 17" alloys-low profile so I suppose that won't help ! cheers - Stuart