Low frequency 'boom' in cabin - Fixed

Interesting potential solution. Not sure if the same adjustments are available on the Rapid??? But will certainly look at this as possible solution to BOOMING.

Haven't noticed any boom with our Spaceback; noisy Dunlop tyres, and the odd minor creak or rattle is about it. However I did notice shortly after getting the car, that the two stops ether side of the hatch where unevenly adjusted, which being a former aircraft tech got me wondering why.

Best I could tell one had been adjusted and the other not, as it was fully retracted and not even making contact with the pad. Made the adjustment myself, which seemed to cure one of the minor occasional creaking noises from the back.

So there could be something in this link but the extended glass tailgate is quite heavy and I wouldn't expect a great deal of movement from it anyway, hence only getting a small occasional creaking sound prior to the stop adjustment.

TP

• Like 1

Hi,

Bought a Rapid hatchback 1.2se in May 2014 new, and on driving home noticed a noise like mild humming, sounded like when someone leaves a back window open, so emailed Skoda and mentioned the problem to the effect that if it could not be solved then I would have to sell back the car.

Skoda were fantastic they arranged an appointment with the garage I purchased the car from and after the meeting, the garage sent a report to Skoda who in turn sent a fix to the garage, I was asked to take the car back to the garage who were also fantastic , and in a matter of half an hour they had solved the problem, no more drumming sound, after more than five months later still no sound, the car is excellent to drive the fuel consumption is great and I am very pleased.

The drumming sound apparently comes from the boot lid, it appears that the lid sets up a resonance between the lid and the rubber seal. ( I think this is the case)

Hope this is useful.

• Like 1

WOW revelation!!

"The drumming sound apparently comes from the boot lid, it appears that the lid sets up a resonance between the lid and the rubber seal."

What is the garage and do you have any correspondence or official Skoda Uk details. My car goes in next week for service/ DSG oil recall check.

Hi Bidey,

The garage was Blades of Bristol, I have no paperwork as I emailed and telephoned Skoda.

I don't want to place my tele. no. on this (or any other) forum but if you have some way of me contacting you I will give you the story. I live near Bristol.

Regards

Newboater

P.s. I am not familiar with the workings of this forum.

• Like 2

Newboater, you are a star!

I just went out to look at the two stoppers on the car body. They were set to their lowest level. I adjusted them up notch by notch testing the boot closure until it would not latch closed. (Needed a special screwdriver, but my set had one)

I then backed them off one notch to allow the boot to latch and went for a drive.

My initial opinion is that it has resolved the booming issue. I will do some driving on worse roads when I have more time and when it's not dark and raining. Right now though I am very happy!

This theory is also backed up by my weekend drive with the family. It was really cold when we left home and the booming was not as bad as usual.

On our return journey it seemed worse. Thinking about it now, on the return journey the temperature was much higher which meant the boot rubber stops were softer allowing more movement, thus more resonance. They are big lumps of rubber.

Of course, I have the boot set to its tightest fit now, so if the temperature goes down, the rubber will be harder and the boot may not latch again. I have left my tools in the boot so I can adjust as needed. I may back it off a bit more so as not to strain the lock mechanism.

Bidey, adjust your boot stoppers and hopefully your nightmare will be over and you can enjoy the car once more..

Hurray!

• Like 1

Hi Rednaxela,

Glad to be of help, must admit it was really a nuisance when we first heard the noise. For anyone who has a similar noise try closing the boot on the first latch not completely closed and go for a short run and you may find like I did that the noise is less, if this is so then alter the stoppers.

Happy driving.

After a good few days with the tighter hatch, I am satisfied that it was the issue.

The interior noise is still louder than the polo, which brings this post back to the beginning (in my opinion)

When you bang the parcel shelt, it sounds like a bass drum. I'm going to have a go at the soundproofing project to deaden the shelf resonance.

I may also sound proof the massive spare wheel hole as well.

Need to research sound proofing material now... Lol

Now sound deadening is a very complex world... Dynamat and other companies are available but it's a art. Are you trying to stop the vibration of the panel or absorbe the noise that is created. There is a small amount of sound deadening (Dynamat type material) in my rapids wheel well but I put a layer of underlay to absorb the noise created. I'm no expert in this field but I do remember driving a rolls Royce phantom and being very impressed with how quiet it was and how thick the pile was on the carpet! The rapid does have very reflective surfaces (plastic & glass) with very little to absorb the sound. Please let me know how you get on!

will do. :notme:

I have ordered some dodo 9mm closed cell adhesive foam from e-bay for £20 (not too much £££ for a gamble)

It should be enough to cover the shelf.

The original poster also had some kind of stiffening material as well, but I can't seem to track down what that was.

Had the car on my own this morning (its my wife's main car) and it was such a dream to have the booming gone!

I think insulating the shelf will just be the icing on the cake.. (or a waste of £20.. we shall see)

• Like 2

Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the sound deadening and insulation and no difference.

My car was going in for a service and DSG oil advisory recall.

i listed a few things including "booming". I told them about the fix of hatch adjustments

They fixed the few snags. i.e. buzz on dash, rumble from rear bumper, ragged edge on gear knob

The dealer service was amazing and has renewed my faith in Skoda.

But the big deal is they fixed the "booming" by adjusting the hatchback door.

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

I CANNOT UNDERSTATE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE CAR ITS NOW AS QUIET AS A MOUSE OVER THE PREVIOUSLY BOOMING NOISY ANTI-SKID SURFACES.

:sun:  :sun:  :sun:  :sun:  :sun:  :sun:  :sun: 

Anybody WITH THE "BOOMING" GET DOWN TO YOUR SKODA DEALER AND TELL THEM.

• Like 4

Greeting from Czech Republic,

I have got same problem - low frequency throb or boom around 80km/h - not always.

Interesting is, that I first time noticed this problem, when I change the tyres from "summer" to "snow"

Summer - Bridgestone - 215/45/16 - Dione wheels

Snow - Michelin Alpine A4 - 215/45/16 - Dione wheels

I will try to find a solution and let you know. In forums in Czech republic, it is little bit unknown kind of defect...

regards

Lukas

Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the sound deadening and insulation and no difference.

i listed a few things including "booming". I told them about the fix of hatch adjustments

But the big deal is they fixed the "booming" by adjusting the hatchback door.

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

I CANNOT UNDERSTATE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE CAR ITS NOW AS QUIET AS A MOUSE OVER THE PREVIOUSLY BOOMING NOISY ANTI-SKID SURFACES.

Just to let you know after a long weekend in Inverness and over 300 miles driving across some pretty mixed road surfaces. It was a pleasure and no unbearable "BOOMING". Still some noise on the rougher surfaces but not un livable. So happy bunny again.

• Like 1

Fitted my soundproofing last week (with assistance from my little helper) assistance is mandatory with a 3.5 year old! Lol

Used 9mm Dodo Mat. £19.99 (ended up with one sheet spare at the end)

The matting stuck very well, but will come off if required. I also covered the joints with some plastic tape.

Has it made any difference to cabin noise? I honestly can't tell, so my conclusion is that the project was not worth the outlay of £20.

It may be a bit quieter, but not a noticeable difference.

a4b8cd376f532a7c2127927f9d1adf16_zpsf9e1

d96ff6dab08a5654798ef6686f626990_zpscbf8

582a57d1b948410bf6fb0a4386c0e2a9_zps993e

ea17ef956cb36422c5ee32f229fce976_zps72d2

"Fitted my soundproofing last week (with assistance from my little helper) assistance is mandatory with a 3.5 year old! Lol

Used 9mm Dodo Mat. £19.99 (ended up with one sheet spare at the end)

The matting stuck very well, but will come off if required. I also covered the joints with some plastic tape.

Has it made any difference to cabin noise? I honestly can't tell, so my conclusion is that the project was not worth the outlay of £20.

It may be a bit quieter, but not a noticeable difference."

Well you were lucky, i spent £40 and did all the sparewheel well, boot lid and boot surfaces with little effect!! :sweat:

As i said in previous post the real fix came from the Skoda garage adjusting the rear hatch stops to stop the hatch resonating. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Car has been transformed, still not perfect but 90% better and really livable with now. (love my Rapid 1.4 TSI DSG)

By the way the dynmat mat (i used something similar) fell of the boot lid when it got hot in the car

Bidey fae Perth

Edited by Bidey

Well, took the car back to the dealer this week to have a suspension mod done as per Skoda UK's recommendation. This was supposed to fix the low frequency/resonance noise/rumble, but it hasn't made things any better in my opinion. They have offered to look at it again, so I'll wait and see and decide after a few days. Also had both front doors fixed as they rattled/creaked when travelling over less than perfect road surfaces so that's a small step in the right direction. I think I need to test drive a newer rapid and compare that to the ride I'm currently experiencing in mine. My guess is that I'll notice an immediate difference and the lack of that annoying low frequency/resonance noise. From what I've been hearing the spaceback and newer production rapids don't suffer from this affliction. For those who are interested the modification was made to the rear suspension only. It only took 30 minutes to do so not a big job by any means.  

Hi Paul,

Did you ever report what the modification to the rear suspension was?