Skoda Superb Thermostat replacement

I've just bought a 2002 Skoda Superb 2.5 V6 TDi which I love. I've noticed that the temperature gauuge never sits at the half way point (90c) and only ever reaches the quarter mark. Also, the heaters never blow out really hot air, with the climatronic unit set at high the heater blowers still only blow warm air. I've been told the likely culprit is the thermostat and I know I can buy one new for £12. My two questions are: Is it a home DIY job to replace the thermostat? Where exactly in the engine bay of the Superb is the thermostat located? My other alternative is any one near South Wirral who could replace it for me in return for a cash payment? Cheers

Thermostat replacement on the V6 diesel is a bitch of a job. Save up lots of money and give the job to an independent who knows what he's doing. There have been some modifications to the thermostat housing. Change all of the belts, rollers and the water pump at the same time.

rotodiesel.

Thank you so much rotodiesel, this is much appreciated. I have today removed the 2 hoses that run from the engine bay through the bulkhead and into the heater matrix, and blown them through with compressed air. This blew out a lot of foul coloured coolant so i'am hoping the problem was just a load of grunge somewhere blocking the pipes. The temperature needle does move much closer to the centre mark now and the blowers blow hotter air now but not really hot. Perhaps a flush of the cooling system and new coolant would do the trick?? I've been quoted £800 by a Skoda independent garage for a new timing belt, water pump, tensioners, pulleys and thermostat so I'll be saving quite a while before I can get all that done!!

Please let me know how you get on.  My coolant does not go above 75 deg, unless I push 'er 'ard.

To get me through the winter, I have added a bit of cardboard between the rad and the bumper.

Also worth checking the integrity of your coolant temp sensor.  I have changed mine twice in the last year.  Once the cold starts were poor because the element in the CTS sending the temp signal to the ECU was at fault, though the dash gauge was OK as that element was fine.

2nd time round it was the other way around, dash was reading 50 all the time, but the car ran fine.

On this 3rd one it seems OK.

I've now replaced the thermostat and the thermostat gasket which combined cost me £15. The thermostat had failed in the open position and I was told that was the problem. I actually went to Mitchell Skoda in Cheshire Oaks and the Skoda mechanic there told me he didn't know where the thermostat was in the engine bay! I've replaced it now with the help of a mate who's a weekend mechanic and all now seems fine. I did have to top the coolant up but was surprised how little was actually lost. The thermostat is at the bottom of the engine bay where the bottom radiator hose enters the engine block. It's an easy enough job but you need to access it from underneath and need to get the car up on a ramp. Don't be put off doing the job yourself, hire a ramp somewhere, get the car up in the air and change a £10 part yourself. I can't believe a Skoda main dealer mechanic didn't know where he could find the thermostat in the engine bay!!

I am confused. Didn't you have to take the timing belt off to do this job?

I wonder if you have an aftermarket inline thermostat?? Surely you must do.

A lot of people do this mod as it is a very labour intensive job to do it "properly".

It gets fitted in the drivers side coolant hose.

Edited by oh_superb

I suspect a change of vehicle or engine mis-identity. On the PD engines, the thermostat is easily reached by unbolting the flange for the coolant return hose under the alternator. On the V6 diesels, it is reached by pulling the front and removing the aux and timing drives - and a fair bit more besides...

rotodiesel.

I suspect a change of vehicle or engine mis-identity. On the PD engines, the thermostat is easily reached by unbolting the flange for the coolant return hose under the alternator. On the V6 diesels, it is reached by pulling the front and removing the aux and timing drives - and a fair bit more besides...

rotodiesel.

That's what I thought. Hence my lack of passion to tackle my 2.5.  But 1st post above states 2.5 V6 categorically.  :angel:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

If this is any help, I changed the thermostat on my 04 Superb TDI 130BHP Comfort this Christmas. It was easy and I am sure anyone could replace it. The symptom was to see the temperature gauge drop from its previously vertical position. There was not much heat coming from the heater and I have a feeling that the MPG was dropping off a bit too. I bought a replacement for about £11. I did not drain the cooling fluid first as I could not see the tap. You need a few litres to top it back up. To replace it remove the dipstick and the plastic engine cover. The thermostat is mounted on the right side of the engine at the end of a flexible pipe. Remove the two bolts, pull the housing away and remove the O ring. Pull out the thermostat and replace. There is plenty of room although viewing is a little difficult. Good luck!

It is quite a bit harder if you have an automatic as there is a cooler on the EGR circuit.  Helps to remove the airbox unless you have really skinny arms.