Skoda Rapid Elegance's USB port not recognising new mp3 files

Hi there

Have my Rapid for nearly 10 months now and at first it didn't bother me too much but now would like to know if it's a known or unknown issue.

Basically, when I have my pen drive to play mp3, I suspect the system is adding a marker/protection onto the pen drive. Because when I wanted to add new mp3 to the pen drive; the car doesn't see the new additional files. just the previous set.

The only way round it was reformat the pen drive and transfer the previous set of mp3 plus additional new ones to it before plugging it back in the car when it 'locks' it.

Anyone find that strange? There isn't much info about this problem. Wrote an email to Skoda today if they know anything about it but also checking here if anyone has a solution to the problem.

Thanks in advance :)

If you're using Windows then turn on the option to show hidden files in the preferences (sorry, I can't give more direct instructions as I've not used windows since the XP days) - that'll show if any 'new' files turn up. If you see any, delete them when you add new mp3s.

My guess is the MDI may be scanning the mp3s for id3 information (artist, track, album and so on) and then storing it all in a database file to speed up the process the next time.

If you're using Windows then turn on the option to show hidden files in the preferences (sorry, I can't give more direct instructions as I've not used windows since the XP days) - that'll show if any 'new' files turn up. If you see any, delete them when you add new mp3s.

My guess is the MDI may be scanning the mp3s for id3 information (artist, track, album and so on) and then storing it all in a database file to speed up the process the next time.

I've looked inside with hidden off; no unknown files found.

Errm I don#t really understand all this stuff to be honest.  Best way I can get it to work is ti remove the stick then shove it back in.  :/

Imagine I have 10 songs on the pen drive. I then want to add another 5 but the MDI only still sees 10 songs depsite being added. So had to format it and then add 15 songs onto it to get it to play. And the cycle continues.

Unusual. I can't say I've actually used a straight USB stick, I tend to use my iPod, mainly because I have one and it's wasted otherwise..

I'll have a go with a normal pen drive on Monday and see if I can get the same behaviour as you. Which radio do you have in the car? The Swing unit?

Unusual. I can't say I've actually used a straight USB stick, I tend to use my iPod, mainly because I have one and it's wasted otherwise..

I'll have a go with a normal pen drive on Monday and see if I can get the same behaviour as you. Which radio do you have in the car? The Swing unit?

Correct.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found this problem and got the same reply from skoda.

I found that if the data or (album) you downloaded to your stick is a file within a folder then it wont read it or play it.

Plug your stick into your comp and try to open one of the folders that wont play in your car. If this folder opens to another folder then that is your problem.

To rectify, open the folder that wont play. double click to reveal the music folder within it. Copy this folder to your desk top. Close the open folder down on the stick and delete it. Now send the folder on your desktop to the stick. This should now work. LMK how you get on

Ade

• 2 months later...

I have found this problem and got the same reply from skoda.

I found that if the data or (album) you downloaded to your stick is a file within a folder then it wont read it or play it.

Plug your stick into your comp and try to open one of the folders that wont play in your car. If this folder opens to another folder then that is your problem.

To rectify, open the folder that wont play. double click to reveal the music folder within it. Copy this folder to your desk top. Close the open folder down on the stick and delete it. Now send the folder on your desktop to the stick. This should now work. LMK how you get on

Ade

Sorry for a late reply. I haven't tried your method but I've devised my own solution.

Initially, I wrote a batch file to robocopy files to the USB pen; it worked at first but later it didn't. So I've changed the batch file to format the pen drive and robocopy the music across every time.

Takes time - yes, but it's more automated and it works this way.

I ha the same issue but simply moved all mp3 files to the root folder and i have on mix. a guy at work said i could keep all folders and just leave one song in th root folder, but i have not tried i yet.