Retro fit footwell lights Octy III

Looking to fit these to my MK III Elegance; there are cut outs both front and rear for the light units, just need to purchase one of the kits off ebay or the likes of Bold Sport - that has all four lights plus the wiring kit. And then code using VCDS.

Question (possibly for one of our European Octy driver colleagues (where these lights appear to be a standard fit - or available as a factory option at the very least) - can you tell me where the trigger wire needs to go in the CECM?

Looking on the older MK II threads, they needed to use pin 50 on the FL model. Is it the same for the newer models?

• Like 1

Yeah, I reckon you're right. Have just seen a thread on a MK7 Golf forum where somebody has linked to a Kufatec PDF for their own retrofit kit. I think it said module C, pin 70. Will download it tomorrow and have full read of it.

Need to get the glovebox out on the Octy to get to the BCM (now next to the fusebox) and have look at what's what.

I would be very interested to see you succeed.

Could help if someone posts a pic from underneath the footwell area, showing where the wires are coming from / goin' to, wich pin, etc.

It will make a lot of people happy :-)

The kit from Bold Sports is around £15 for fronts only and £25 for front and rear. Looks like you get all the cable as well; wire for the BCM and earth point.

You can upgrade to LED as well for a few quid more. 

Mine definetly has the cut outs for mounting the light units so just need a steer on where to get the power from in the BCM. Looks a tricky b*gger to get to now compared to the MKII, so might need a weekend to investigate before committing to the project. 

The solution can come from a Golf 7 / Leon 3 / A3 / O3 owner who's got footwell lights factory fitted. Some pics of the lights unit and BCM showing the cables color and the pin they are connected to in the BCM.

Unfortunately, why should a guy who already have footwell lights bother himself with the hassle ? Maybe some natural generosity or a desire to help humanity go forward :-)

• 2 months later...

Got the Bold kit, good value at £26 delivered (within 7 days from Hong Kong). Connected up to pin 72, earthed via nearby handy point (to try before fitting) and have coded via adaptations in Central Electrics to footwell lights installed (footwell light level now shows on the Car settings under lighting). However nothing happening. There is more coding to be done clearly - the adaptations show many, many lighting combinations as letters and numbers and little or no help on-line. Older cars could be coded using the Long Coding Helper, the new MQB cars have no info for these so they only show as tick boxes......

Saw on a German site coding info for activating Ambient lights (with footwell lights) on the new A3 which shares the same chassis - they say tick bits 1,2 and 3 in Byte 17 Central Electrics - could try this, but with no info alongside the boxes am slightly concerned at coding the module incorrectly and not being able to undo the changes (some changes can't be apparently - hence all the warnings I guess).

So a bit stumped at present and the project is back on hold.

• Like 1

Steve, got your PM, you need to try and get the coding and adaptations map for 09 from one of the European members who has footwell lights and compare it to yours.

Or wait until the first L&K hits the street in the UK which is coming with footwell lights as standard :)

Thanks Andy

Good suggestions, both! I did PM one member from Norway - might try him again. Was tempted to try ticking the boxes from the Audi A3 article I saw and see what the adaptation map looks like compared to the one I pulled out last week.

Yeah, saw that a while back - baulked at paying £40-50 (with shipping) for some thing that I should be able to accomplish with my far more expensive VCDS cable!

Found another lead last night where a kindly soul had published his Golf Mk7 GTD adaptations map for Central electrics - will compare to mine to see where/if the differences are in terms of the settings for the lighting functions that are just a series of letters and numbers.......

Yeah, agreed, still it's been fun trawling through so many other forums and websites to try to get a handle on this. Certainly not giving up, and learning more about vcds as I go.

I've had a chance to look at the Golf map now and can see (4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30 is set as 'Footwell' on the Golf and 'not active' on my map, apart from an ambient lighting setting as well there isn't anything else I can see; so will certainly be changing the above to see if we can't get these lights working!

• Like 1

Hope so! It certainly seems logical. 

Will be having a play tomorrow at some point and report back - getting to be a dab-hand at getting the poxy glovebox out with ease now, the rest of the trim is straightforward as is the access to the modules (thankfully). Even fashioned my self a pin removal tool to get the trigger wire out with ease  :)

Hopefully will report success tomorrow.

Well, no luck so far - all areas checked even compared to a Golf Mk7 adaptation map to see where any differences may have been and changed accordingly. Output tests not helped (me)........

Think Andyvee is right; will have to wait for the first L&K versions to hit the streets and hope I can get some more setting info then.

There is one <significant?> difference I have seen on the project; my BCM model, software and hardware is 

;SW:5Q0-937-086-Q   HW:5Q0-937-086-Q ---  Cent. Elect.

Everything else I've seen is 5Q0-937-086-084, so perhaps mine is that bit newer (with different settings)?

Little i learned about the vcds, combined with these type of settings is that you need to enable the function, and make this option vissible on the user menu of your columbus/amundsen (I've got factory fitted footwell lights on my o3, and an extra option is enabled in the menu) if a function is added in vcds (dipping mirror for example) this added feature is switched off by default. It needs to be activated through the user menu on the columbus first.

Hi

I have been able to get the footwell lights setting to show up on my Amundsen>car settings>lights section. The settings have the 0-100% for the intensity of the lights whilst driving (I guess). I reset the lighting settings also to see if this would 'enable' the lights but alas, it did not. Not sure there are any other settings within the infotainment set up I've missed?

Are you able to pull an adaptations map of Central Electrics 09 for me to compare to mine?