Retro fit footwell lights Octy III

19 hours ago, Micks_address said:

Hi folk's,

Tried coding this morning 

Vcds version 17.8

We followed instructions on page two of thread but couldn't find option re interior lighting. Anyone have instructions for new version of vcds? When we went into adaptions tons of options.

Thanks,

Mick

I recall it took me a while to find the right options to change as the OP states.  Mine was all in German with loads of options similar to. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the list. Mine were there. i own a 2016 model and mine would never code with the informant slider. Mine come on with the interior lamps and headlamps. 

16 hours ago, arnold said:

I recall it took me a while to find the right options to change as the OP states.  Mine was all in German with loads of options similar to. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the list. Mine were there. i own a 2016 model and mine would never code with the informant slider. Mine come on with the interior lamps and headlamps. 

I've sent an email to the dealer to see if they will activate the lights. They should seeing as I had ordered them in the first place!

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:12, Micks_address said:

I've sent an email to the dealer to see if they will activate the lights. They should seeing as I had ordered them in the first place!

Hi folks,

Sorted today thanks to friendly neighborhood coder in Dublin. Followed instructions from post 2 as below. Set the dimwert value to 89. We weren't able to do the long coding section as described in post 2, but seems like we don't need to. Setting now available in infotainment. Sliding alters brightness level. Lights come on when doors open, go off on door close, stay on if headlights are 'on'

Super happy now. I know its a stupid small thing but car feels complete to me now...

Cheers,

Mick

Coding:

First part:

Controller 09 - Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Go to

(8)-Interior light; light configuration-Fussraumbeleuchtung

Change value from ‘not installed’ to ‘installed’

(This puts the footwell light % setting in the infotainment system (under lights))

Still in Adaptations

Go to

(4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30

Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘Footwell light’ from the dropdown menu

Next

Go to

(1)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30

Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘18 – 2* 5W’

Next

Go to

(6)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30

Change this value from ‘0’ to ‘89’ or whatever value you want up to 100 I guess (this is where we set the highest brightness level)

If you just go back and make the changes here without exiting i.e. staying in Adaptations, you can do all in one go otherwise you have to go back in.

5 hours ago, redriddick said:

Hi mick.

I'm gonna do this myself. I'm in the Midlands. Was it hard to route the wires???

You need to take off a fair bit if trim. If you are comfortable doing that it's not to bad. Getting off the bonnet handle was fiddly. Running the wires not to bad. Guy helping me was used it wiring stuff in cars though. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Micks_address said:

Anyone tried these LEDs?

http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gti-remote-control-color-changing-footwell-leds

Tempted as look very versatile.

If you bought the boldsport or any of the retro fit  kits i think you will have to pull the guts out of the holder is the only difference i can see is Ours use the W5W lamp which convert to the 2 pin. 

7 hours ago, ahenners said:

Tempted to have a crack at this... @arnold these the ones you recommend still?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9G5ESK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasn't sure based on the Chinese seller, but I guess the bold sport ones come from China anyway...

I bought the bold sport ones and the back couple broke putting them in. I replaced with these at a third of the price and they went in no problems . Wiring is identical . I even paid extra for the bold sport 6000k bulbs which all flickers and died within the month. But the amazon ones and save the wait and money. BOLDSPORT more like bold claim, 

Edited by arnold
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arnold said:

I bought the bold sport ones and the back couple broke putting them in. I replaced with these at a third of the price and they went in no problems . Wiring is identical . I even paid extra for the bold sport 6000k bulbs which all flickers and died within the month. But the amazon ones and save the wait and money.

Great stuff, thanks :)

Do these just take a standard w5w/501/t10 bulb?

Edited by ahenners

41 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Great stuff, thanks :)

Do these just take a standard w5w/501/t10 bulb?

Yep 501 wedge . They are advertised as led but when i cracked mine open just a normal 501 yellow light. I bought 10 x 6000 k from china for 2 quid but the base was a bit rounded so modified with a bit of filing and all is good .If you buy flat led just be careful of the length. 

Edited by arnold
  • Thanks 1

Mine arrived today, looks like a decent enough set.

Any recommendations for good LED 501/t10/w5w bulbs to go in the footwell units? Can't decide whether to get an expensive set of Osrams/Philips, or some cheap eBay jobbies.

20 hours ago, ahenners said:

Mine arrived today, looks like a decent enough set.

Any recommendations for good LED 501/t10/w5w bulbs to go in the footwell units? Can't decide whether to get an expensive set of Osrams/Philips, or some cheap eBay jobbies.

Going to go with the proper VAG units as fitted to the MK7 Golf and MK3 Superb. Part no 5G0947409. Not cheap at £48 for the 4 but I'm particular about this sort of stuff and want it to look fully OEM. These should provide a perfect white light with even distribution.

718339_x800.jpg

5 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Where did you order?

Used the Briskoda parts email/dealer. There's a thread in the parts section, but essentially it emails off to a dealer. Mike who looks after it is very good and the prices are usually favourable compared to other dealers.

• Thanks 2

On 9/9/2017 at 20:59, seanbrady49 said:

Just ordered off of amazon, I've also contacted Carista to see if they can enable these functions on the beta test version (I'm a beta tester) fingers crossed they can do it!

Carista can't do it sadly , contacted someone one the forums here that lives in Galway but he hasn't been on the forum since Jan, anyone else know coders in the Galway area?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a few hours of effort and cursing, I've managed to do the retrofit. Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread, in particular posts from; @steveb1970 @panmat @arnold and @Micks_address

Looks great and works a treat dimming in the infotainment. I'm using Osram LEDs in the footwell units and they work well, the light distribution is more even than cheap Chinese stuff (though still doesn't fill the unit completely - this is a limitation in the design of the units I think, the bulb sits very much in one side of the rectangular holder). More importantly though, the Osrams don't flicker at all like some cheap Chinese LEDs do. The colour temp is also perfect - a proper cool white rather than the blue tinge often seen with cheap LEDs. Finally, they are very bright - in the images they are dimmed down to 20% and still quite noticeable!

Haven't yet clipped the glovebox back in - it's dark and pouring down now outside so will do this tomorrow.

IMG_20170924_194425.jpg

IMG_20170924_194435.jpg

Edited by ahenners

2 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Well after a few hours of effort and cursing, I've managed to do the retrofit. Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread, in particular posts from; @steveb1970 @panmat @arnold and @Micks_address

Looks great and works a treat dimming in the infotainment. I'm using Osram LEDs in the footwell units and they work well, the light distribution is more even than cheap Chinese stuff (though still doesn't fill the unit completely - this is a limitation in the design of the units I think, the bulb sits very much in one side of the rectangular holder). More importantly though, the Osrams don't flicker at all like some cheap Chinese LEDs do. The colour temp is also perfect - a proper cool white rather than the blue tinge often seen with cheap LEDs. Finally, they are very bright - in the images they are dimmed down to 20% and still quite noticeable!

Haven't yet clipped the glovebox back in - it's dark and pouring down now outside so will do this tomorrow.

IMG_20170924_194425.jpg

IMG_20170924_194435.jpg

Fair play. Would you mind linking to the osram LEDs you used?

Just now, ahenners said:

@Micks_address these ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I798TKO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

Standard version, cool white. £8.89 per pack of 2. Not cheap but the cheapest branded w5w I'm aware of and the quality is spot on.

Thanks, I might see if they available on power bulbs. Did you put them in the boldsport housing?

Just now, Micks_address said:

Thanks, I might see if they available on power bulbs. Did you put them in the boldsport housing?

Yeah, I'm still torn on whether to get the proper VAG units or not, but I was quoted £48 for those - 4x 5G0947409.

They will definitely have a more even light distribution as they are multiple LEDs across the width of the unit, but I'm not sure the improvement is worth the cost over the Osrams in those units. 

Powerbulbs do stock the Osrams I believe. There are also some Philips ones that should be good but again more expensive I think.

Just now, Micks_address said:

Yeah Amazon seems to be the place for those bulbs - I ordered some a few weeks ago for the overhead interior lights and they were the same price back then as they are now. Powerbulbs usually have a 20% code but would still be more expensive.

Just now, ahenners said:

Yeah Amazon seems to be the place for those bulbs - I ordered some a few weeks ago for the overhead interior lights and they were the same price back then as they are now. Powerbulbs usually have a 20% code but would still be more expensive.

Thanks would you mind linking to the overhead bulbs you fitted? We're they easy to change?

Cheers,

Mick