Retro fit footwell lights Octy III

Ha! Thanks Andy.

Yes not sure what happened to the screenshots - what's the easiest way to upload them - I've not done it before.

I paste the screenshots in to a word doc as I am working through a coding.

I then save them as piccies (png files I think), by right clicking on them.

Then you can add them as attachments to a post, use the 'More Reply Options' button in the bottom right corner of the quick reply text box to see this.

Once they are attachments you can insert them in line, but be careful as the cursor position keeps resetting after each one!

Screens shot of the Long Coding sections that didn't insert on previous post.

post-53727-0-48255200-1401054140_thumb.png

post-53727-0-95619800-1401054284_thumb.png

• Like 1

So this lights up when doors open, then dims to a preset value when you close them (i.e. sort of like "mood" lighting?)

Yes, they fade up to the same level as the roof interior lights (100%) working even in daylight, the same as the interiors do, going off after a short period.

When driving (and the the lights are on) they run at whatever has been set in the infotainment unit as a % as ambient lighting.

Any pictures of this running? What colours are people going with? I assume white (to match dash) or blue or car colour or something like that.

British 'Summer' at the moment, so not too many opportunities to see them in action (no worries though - we get plenty of nice long winter nights!). I'll try and get some.

At the moment I just fitted the original bulbs (5w) - am looking at LEDs all round.

I do know from reading the Golf7 forums, they have fitted white, blue and red LEDs 

Yeah, GTI and GTD are LED standard, not sure about lower spec versions as I don't the lower specs would have LED throughout?

With our cars you would want one or t'other otherwise would look odd.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else managed to fit these, only I'm struggling. I can't get the bonnet release handle off, and can't really see an obvious place to route the cables through the carpet.

• 2 weeks later...

British 'Summer' at the moment, so not too many opportunities to see them in action (no worries though - we get plenty of nice long winter nights!). I'll try and get some.

At the moment I just fitted the original bulbs (5w) - am looking at LEDs all round.

I do know from reading the Golf7 forums, they have fitted white, blue and red LEDs 

Fitted LED's, the ones from Bold Sport (white) they do function as the originals......NO extra coding required

• Like 1

Fitted LED's, the ones from Bold Sport (white) they do function as the originals......NO extra coding required

Excellent work! Great photos.

Did you go for a full LED interior-light upgrade?

Thanks for the pictures, but how did you get the bonnet release lever off. I've tried pulling it, all be it not very hard, for fear of damaging it, but I can't get it to budge!

Where about's are you.....don't suppose you'd fancy helping me fit mine?

Edited by Alex1980

Thanks for the pictures, but how did you get the bonnet release lever off. I've tried pulling it, all be it not very hard, for fear of damaging it, but I can't get it to budge!

Where about's are you.....don't suppose you'd fancy helping me fit mine?

If you pull it slightly forward (grip the top of the handle and pull towards the centre console), you can see a small plastic collar that basically holds it onto the shaft. You can just wriggle that up a little way using a small flat-bladed screw driver and then the handle just pops off with a bit of force.

Excellent work! Great photos.

Did you go for a full LED interior-light upgrade?

Yes all LED's now.

Just a little observation re the footwell lights, especially the rear ones......... have noticed that the normal bulbs generate a fair bit of heat in this enclosed part of the front seats. I have left these with the LED's in but for the front footwells have used the normal filament bulbs as these give a more pleasant ambient light when  used in this role...... Thoughts please !!! 

• Like 1

Yes all LED's now.

Just a little observation re the footwell lights, especially the rear ones......... have noticed that the normal bulbs generate a fair bit of heat in this enclosed part of the front seats. I have left these with the LED's in but for the front footwells have used the normal filament bulbs as these give a more pleasant ambient light when  used in this role...... Thoughts please !!! 

Yes, they do get warm - the shielding from the Bold Sport kit should be fine if leaving as filament bulbs though, as they appear to be OEM. My only comment on your current set up would be whether I could live with the two differing lights' whiteness and brightness (not sure my OCD could cope!) I am fairly certain I would have to change all the lights to the same type - including the door mirror lights and number plates.......if I was to be able to sleep at night!

• Like 1

Yes all LED's now.

I'll have a look at the brightness setting tomorrow - I have a funny feeling I set it to 100 instead of 89  :thumbdown:

• 1 month later...

If you pull it slightly forward (grip the top of the handle and pull towards the centre console), you can see a small plastic collar that basically holds it onto the shaft. You can just wriggle that up a little way using a small flat-bladed screw driver and then the handle just pops off with a bit of force.

Has anyone managed to do this on a late 14 reg, only as much as I try the bonnet lever will not budge and I'm worried about damaging something. I've now tried that much, there appears to be a small amount of play in the operation of the lever, but there is still not movement backwards or forwards, as though it's coming off the attachment. Think I might have to live without footwell lights!

Edited by Alex1980