Fitted new DRL bulbs

chris c

The email said they offer a 3 month warranty on all bulbs but they 'can send a replacement' out to me.I have emailed back to see if they mean its a freebie or do I have to pay,the message was little unclear.

Maybe so many customers were asking for replacements they have imposed a 3 month cut off period?.

Mostly likely...

I would imagine for the sake of their reputation it wont be long now and the Mtecs will be vanishing off the website.....

I asked over on the Octy forum about the mtecs when i first read about them.

didnt get much positivity - they're cheap for a reason - being the overall review.

I apply the same rules to my own purchasing as i do at work -

get a few prices and average them.

anything more than 40% cheaper than the average is eliminated coz odds are its crap.

then look into the rest in more detail - spec and reviews and pick the best compromise

Have heard back fro H-Direct,they only offer a 3 month warranty on the bulbs so I will stick with the original bulbs-cannot see the point in buying a new bulb with such a poor usage time wise,its not as the bulbs are used 24/7.

When you go on the their webpage for these bulbs and click on the warranty tab it states "1 Year" - just printed it now in case of any problems with the set I have just ordered.

• Like 2

When you go on the their webpage for these bulbs and click on the warranty tab it states "1 Year" - just printed it now in case of any problems with the set I have just ordered.

Thanks for that,have just emailed H-Direct asking is it 3 months or 12 months warranty.Roll on Tuesday and see what their reply is(that's if they bother to answer).

Well,the man from H-Direct says no!!.Gave me some rubbish about 'These bulbs are warranted for  manufacturer discrepancies only' and 'because I have had have the bulbs for over six months they cannot replace the faulty bulb'.So its a 6 month warranty now?.They have offered me a new set with free P&P thrown in.I am going to stick with the original bulbs,cannot be bothered with this farce any longer.

Well,the man from H-Direct says no!!.Gave me some rubbish about 'These bulbs are warranted for  manufacturer discrepancies only' and 'because I have had have the bulbs for over six months they cannot replace the faulty bulb'.So its a 6 month warranty now?.They have offered me a new set with free P&P thrown in.I am going to stick with the original bulbs,cannot be bothered with this farce any longer.

*sniff *sniff       I smell something very agricultural in that story...

12months to 3 months to 6 months??????

Stop Press!!,have just received an email from H-Direct and a new pair of bulbs are on their way to me!.Dont know if I should  laugh or cry.Any way thanks H-D for the nice surprise.

I don't believe, you claim warranty on a pair of bulbs. It's a wear and tear part. But I must admit, 6 months is not an impressive life time.

Its more the Principle -

If something has a 12month warranty then either they should last that long,

or the supplier should replace if it fails under the warranty time.

and... the warranty shouldn't change every time you ask the question...

Generally, you are invoking the sale of goods act. This states that goods must be fit for purpose, what it does not do is state that a consumable must last 12 months. You wouldn't expect brakes or tyres to last 12 months unless you only do a small mileage or potter around, That the company has sent you new bulbs is to be commended, but they are certainly not bound to.

I have only ever had to return one bulb, that was a Phillips Extreme that lasted about 30 seconds.

• Like 1

Stop Press!!,have just received an email from H-Direct and a new pair of bulbs are on their way to me!.Dont know if I should laugh or cry.Any way thanks H-D for the nice surprise.

Great news and so you should get replacements FOC :)

Sent from my IPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Remember my car has only 1690 miles on the clock,these bulbs have hardly been used,less than 200 hours running time,surely they should last longer than that?.

That would imply less than 80 hours use, which is pretty poor IMO. I guess it will come down to the stockist to decide if the failure rate makes it worth stocking the bulbs and replacing them to maintain customer goodwill.

Anyone got any experience with LED based versions? The typical smd device is rated circa 50,000 hours, so should last some time.

Headlight wise, the Nightbreaker Unlimited H4 would be expected to last around 1/3rd the time of an OEM standard bulb, according to Osram's own website.

That would imply less than 80 hours use, which is pretty poor IMO. I guess it will come down to the stockist to decide if the failure rate makes it worth stocking the bulbs and replacing them to maintain customer goodwill.

Anyone got any experience with LED based versions? The typical smd device is rated circa 50,000 hours, so should last some time.

Headlight wise, the Nightbreaker Unlimited H4 would be expected to last around 1/3rd the time of an OEM standard bulb, according to Osram's own website.

I've tried Canbus friendly LED's.

They look amazing, until you try the main lights. They don't switch filaments when the side/main lights are on, and the rear lights don't work at all.

I then bought a ballast and harness solution, but the twisty bulb holder doesn't fit into the Skoda socket. 

Out of curiosity and whilst the harness was still hooked up, I tried the LED drl's and the result was the same. 

I've been trying to follow a solution on the Up forum, that involves moving the bulb connectors around.

My LED DRLs work perfectly as DRLs and sidelights.  They have lasted over a year and 1,600 miles so far, he said just a little too smugly, hoping that they don't go phut just after this post. :sweat:  

I tried nearly all the other DRL bulbs Polargs, MTECS, fakes etc and apart from looking a hasty blue when switched off, they were all yellow compared to the pure white LEDs even if not as yellow as the standard ones.

I just fitted the LEDs without any modfications whatsoever.

11788857665_4600030ffe_b.jpg

11783157724_c0190dbcb2_b.jpg

Edited by JimmyR

My LED DRLs work perfectly as DRLs and sidelights.  They have lasted over a year and 1,600 miles so far, he said just a little too smugly, hoping that they don't go phut just after this post. :sweat:  

I tried nearly all the other DRL bulbs Polargs, MTECS, fakes etc and apart from looking a hasty blue when switched off, they were all yellow compared to the pure white LEDs even if not as yellow as the standard ones.

I just fitted the LEDs without any modfications whatsoever.

11788857665_4600030ffe_b.jpg

11783157724_c0190dbcb2_b.jpg

I like the look of them, can you remember where you got them and if they are specified as canbus friendly? My standard DRLs have done around 3200 miles so far, probably around 160 hours run time.

They came from HIDS-Direct.

I posed this question to them on 18th February 2013 "I wonder if you would please tell me categorically if these LEDs will work as LED daytime running light LEDs for a Skoda Citigo/Volkswagen up!/Seat Mii?  They are very expensive so I don’t want to chance them blowing.  http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/r580-7443-w21-5w-gen-2-canbus-27-smd-5050-led-bulbs-white/ "

and received this in reply "We have now sold quite a number of this model for the city car series from VAG, all with successful installations. I also haven’t heard of any quality issues when fitted!"

Please note that I did not bend any pins or have to modify anything on the bulbs or wiring or sockets in any way.  They were just as suggested i.e. Plug in & Play and worked perfectly first time.

Easy Intallation - Simple Plug in & Play! 

Ingeniously developed, these LATEST 2nd Generation 7443 LEDs are designed in order to prevent bulb errors when fitting LED to modern cars. These new LED's have a built-in warning controller that stops any errors that you would normally experience with standard LED, improving on the older generation these new LEDS have better heat sink, resistance and longevity.

9464957354_b754fecaa4_o.jpg

Edited by JimmyR
  • Like 1