Tyres Speed rating

MikeWales

Guest FurryFriend

The tyres that came on our 2017 Yeti SE Drive are Pirelli  Cinturato brand. 

Sure as hell, we won't be fitting that brand again. The tyres are awful, have been from day 1 and even though we drive very responsibly, the grip is appalling, particularly in wet weather. 

But presumably in case of accident, because they were factory fitted, and of the correct size, loading and speed rating, and still have a legal tread depth, they are OK. :dull:

Pretty soon now, we will be dumping them. They are probably the worst tyres we've ever had. 

Thanks for  the heads up on the importance of speed ratings. The idea of a Yeti being able to reach those ridiculous speeds is laughable, but we all know what a dreadful lot insurance companies are. 

Edited by FurryFriend

1 minute ago, FurryFriend said:

Sure as hell, we won't be fitting that brand again. The tyres are awful, have been from day 1 and even though we drive very responsibly, the grip is appalling, particularly in wet weather. 

What's the size and pressures you are running them at?

Guest FurryFriend

Hi Urrell

They are Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres. 

225/50 R17 94W   I run them at the recommended 2.1 bar round town, and at 2.3 bar for long distance with a decent load. 

Those are the recommended pressures for this car. 

25 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

The tyres that came on our 2017 Yeti SE Drive are Pirelli  Cinturato brand. 

But presumably in case of accident, because they were factory fitted, and of the correct size, loading and speed rating, and still have a legal tread depth, they are OK. 

Pretty soon now, we will be dumping them. They are probably the worst tyres we've ever had. 

Thanks for  the heads up on the importance of speed ratings. The idea of a Yeti being able to reach those ridiculous speeds is laughable, but we all know what a dreadful lot insurance companies are. 

Becareful in what you interpret speed rating to mean ... all it means in tyre side wall rating speak is .... the tyre will last 600 seconds at that speed before carcass failure .... not that the tyre is rated to run at that speed forever ... personally I would always like a minimum of 25%+ on the speed rating ... you would be amazed how hot a tyre gets running for 800 miles on an Autobahn or Autostrada at 95+ mph or faster :blush:

6 minutes ago, TruckbusUK said:

Be careful in what you interpret speed rating to mean ... all it means in tyre side wall rating speak is .... the tyre will last 600 seconds at that speed before carcass failure .

That is the most stupid way of describing the speed rating of a tyre I have ever seen, and anybody that does not know could well believe it.
It is the speed that can be safely maintained by that tyre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

That is the most stupid way of describing the speed rating of a tyre I have ever seen, and anybody that does not know could well believe it.

He could have said the speed rating is how fast he is legally allowed to go, irrespective of the speed limit. 

;-)

Guest FurryFriend

I think it's nonsense. 

I've previously lived in Europe and I can't think of any vehicle past or present that would be able to run at 95mph or faster continuously for 800 miles without running out of fuel. No autobahn or autostrada is that traffic free. 

Edited by FurryFriend

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

Honest its not!

5 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

I think it's nonsense. 

I've previously lived in Europe and I can't think of any vehicle past or present that would be able to run at 95mph or faster continuously for 800 miles without running out of fuel. No autobahn or autostrada is that traffic free. 

Didnt say you didnt stop!

Guest FurryFriend

I think we were all talking about the Yeti, so it seemed irrelevant. :biggrin:

Believe me, I know about tyre heat. I once blew the backside out of a brand new set of racing leathers after a front wheel blowout on my racing motorcycle ..... Tyre deflated and literally melted in the time it took me to slide 150 metres.

2 hours ago, TruckbusUK said:

.you would be amazed how hot a tyre gets running for 800 miles on an Autobahn or Autostrada at 95+ mph or faster :blush:

If doing those speeds the tyre will be up to maximum temperature after about 10 miles so that 800 miles is a meaningless figure.

19 minutes ago, Brijo said:

Helpful.  Just out of interest, which manual is that in?  It's not in either of mine (as in signature below). 

November 2014 Here
I think it's the only volume with it in.

Guest FurryFriend
On 26/04/2018 at 17:21, Urrell said:

Less complicated from the manual.

Yeti_Tyre_specs[1].jpg

So on this table, we COULD fit T rated tyres to our 1.2 DSG car? Is that right? 

So why would Skoda fit an over rated tyre to a brand new car, or is it simply what's around on  tyre fitting day at the factory. 

I need to replace these tyres of ours. They've got almost 11,000 miles on them, and I'll happily sacrifice the 4 or 5mm left on them for tyres that give us more safety. But obviously, spending £100+ a tyre for a full set, I want to be sure I don't get tyres that are not factory speed rated for the vehicle. 

Anyone? Thanks. 

Edited by FurryFriend

15 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

So why would Skoda fit an over rated tyre to a brand new car, or is it simply what's around on  tyre fitting day at the factory. 

Yes, but that table is the Minimum rating for the Yeti.
I suspect yours is fitted with an H, that is only rated 12mph higher and I'd think what most would fit.

Guest FurryFriend

As previously, the Pirellis on our car are a W rating, with a speed rating of 168mph. These are the tyres it arrived with when new. 

W... Seems ridiculously excessive, but I don't want to fall foul of insurance. 

Entering my reg on several sites, ALL give our Yeti as W. 

Additional. Monday..... 

Rang 4 different tyre firms over the weekend, and just now. 

In a nutshell :

All fit new tyres to manufacturers recommended tyre specs as in the handbook and technical info supplied to them by the manufacturer, so their policy is that they will not fit anything less than the W rating to my car, for that reason.

Insurance is the issue. Both for them, and the customer

Only exception is winter tyres. But for normal driving, that's how it seems to be. 

Now to decide on my new tyres :wondering:... Lots of homework. 

Edited by FurryFriend

On 4/27/2018 at 15:42, TruckbusUK said:

Sorry you have lost me :) although your arithmetic does seem correct.

By your Vmax+25% requirement, a V rated tyre is still adequate for a vehicle with a manufacturer calculated Vmax of 119mph.

19 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

I need to replace these tyres of ours. They've got almost 11,000 miles on them, and I'll happily sacrifice the 4 or 5mm left on them for tyres that give us more safety. But obviously, spending £100+ a tyre for a full set, I want to be sure I don't get tyres that are not factory speed rated for the vehicle. 

Anyone? Thanks. 

A bit of both; Manufacturers fit tyres to match the load index requirement for $model but most of them buy tyres from manufacturers on the basis of where they can get the best price on, say 10_000 tyres for delivery next week. (normal models)

Guest FurryFriend

Thanks Ken

Yes, I'm sure that's the situation. Simple supply and demand really. 

I've made a few calls and it seems that we will have to go with the W rating.

Insurance IS the deciding factor.