Looking After Your Alloys

MickA

I had been looking at my alloy wheels fitted to the Citigo, particularly the fronts and a way  I could clean them properly. Getting to the rear section of the wheels is a bit of a pain I've used various brushes and sponges but it still doesn't do the job properly. So before it completely does my head in (these things do if I can't get to clean them properly) I removed the wheels.

Now being as they don't remove the wheels on the first service on the Citigo to check things over I thought also it would be a good idea to swap wheels front to back and also check for damage etc.  So on to the wheel removal, easy enough, not really they were sort of stuck on with the bolts removed I couldn't get them off without whacking them with a blunt instrument, a lump of wood in my case. Just imagine doing that at the side of the road with a puncture. Yes they had corroded on, just like my Vauxhall alloys had on my previous car, that had to be taken in to have them removed. It's the spigot part that the corrosion occurs, see the pictures.

So with the alloys now thoroughly clean (yes I know they will soon get caked in brake dust again, but it makes me happy) and Copper slip applied to the mating surfaces I reckon I can at least get them off again with ease should I need to. And I reckon those rear hubs and front calipers  will get some paint pretty soon, just can't decide what colour.

Pics below...

IMG_0543_zps9811387c.jpg

IMG_0547_zps82380e3c.jpg

IMG_0546_zps32282edb.jpg

IMG_0545_zps3ee58947.jpg

Thanks for that :)

Good thing about mine as they are Black so hides the inner dirt but i know they get pretty grubby inside on the fronts which i notice when cleaning them.I too am undecided on what colour to paint the calipers and drums.Will probally end up Black?

My drums will probally be taken off at the first service as i have a annoying rear brake squeal :( seems quite common as the UP suffers from this too.

The rear brake squeal could be no more than them needing taking off and cleaning up. I would have thought at first servive they would have at least done this to a Citigo, but no just an oil change really and what seems a visual check. But you can't see stuff like this until you take the wheels off.

Having mentioned my old car, a Vauxhall I was shocked to find this very problem and I managed to get one rear off after much swearing and whacks with a lump hammer and block of wood. The other I couldn't even get the locking nut off, so off to our local garage for them to try. They got the locking nut off ok but even they struggled with the wheel and made a comment about how long since you had it serviced. I said it was done last year, before my ownership, they reckon those wheels hadn't been off for a good while.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I had my rear brake drums powder coated ,only cost £25 ,  satin black , alloy wheels which are black, look's a lot tidier , Hammerite might work as the rear brakes dont get that hot , but powder coat is a safer bet

023.jpg

Edited by garryaagus
  • Like 1