Superskoda hood power damper

Success at last, the second strut finally arrived from Germany this morning - mounted straight onto the ball pins with a little lithium grease and job's a goodun. Really pleased with the way that the weight of the hood is picked up once it's about 25% open, then gently comes to a stop on full extension. Just need to apply a bit of touch-up paint to the base of the ball pins. I'm inclined to bin the old support stay as soon as I'm happy that the new struts aren't leaking.

Warrior193.

Can you list what you ordered in the end. I am tempted to do this with my Octavia.

• Like 1

Hi GRH, I used the advice from one of the previous posters and used Seat Ibiza Mk 2 / 3 gas struts (Febi Bilstein 27709) - Ebay item 401182532250.  NB. If you check the specs for the Bilsteins, you will probably be able to source identical struts from a different manufacturer - it took me a few weeks to get a pair of the Bilsteins together from separate suppliers. - A bit of advice, don't bother using Premier Factors unless you enjoy dealing with incompetent suppliers.

The ball pins are 6mm x M10 and 8mm x M10, Ebay items 201561709396 and 401102290899 - although a slightly longer thread (at least 15mm of thread to allow for the thickness of the washer) would be better on the 8mm one. NB. first size is the thread, second size (M10) is the ball. The 8mm stud goes into the front bolt position of the hood hinge.

I got also got some 6mm and 8mm washers (the 6mm ones will need to be the "penny / repair" type to completely cover the hole in the wing mount, a standard washer is ok for the 8mm stud.

Unless you already have one, you will need a special spline (actually 3 square) adapter bit to remove the bolt from the hood hinge ( Ebay item 110640243135)

I mounted my struts with the cylinder on the forward ball pin (with the ram facing rearwards) - all the other posters have mounted theirs with the cylinder on the hood hinge and the ram facing forward. It works either way but I think the way I've done mine looks better.

Once you have all the parts together, this job doesn't take very long at all. Just surprised that more manufacturers don't fit this standard - so much better that the pony support stay.

Warrior193.

• Like 1

Hi GRH, I used the advice from one of the previous posters and used Seat Ibiza Mk 2 / 3 gas struts (Febi Bilstein 27709) - Ebay item 401182532250.  NB. If you check the specs for the Bilsteins, you will probably be able to source identical struts from a different manufacturer - it took me a few weeks to get a pair of the Bilsteins together from separate suppliers. - A bit of advice, don't bother using Premier Factors unless you enjoy dealing with incompetent suppliers.

The ball pins are 6mm x M10 and 8mm x M10, Ebay items 201561709396 and 401102290899 - although a slightly longer thread (at least 15mm of thread to allow for the thickness of the washer) would be better on the 8mm one. NB. first size is the thread, second size (M10) is the ball. The 8mm stud goes into the front bolt position of the hood hinge.

I got also got some 6mm and 8mm washers (the 6mm ones will need to be the "penny / repair" type to completely cover the hole in the wing mount, a standard washer is ok for the 8mm stud.

Unless you already have one, you will need a special spline (actually 3 square) adapter bit to remove the bolt from the hood hinge ( Ebay item 110640243135)

I mounted my struts with the cylinder on the forward ball pin (with the ram facing rearwards) - all the other posters have mounted theirs with the cylinder on the hood hinge and the ram facing forward. It works either way but I think the way I've done mine looks better.

Once you have all the parts together, this job doesn't take very long at all. Just surprised that more manufacturers don't fit this standard - so much better that the pony support stay.

Warrior193.

Thanks. Think I have new job for my car. Cheers

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,
found the febi bilstein in ebay,
but can't find anything else.
I really need some help for those :)

""The ball pins are 6mm x M10 and 8mm x M10, Ebay items 201561709396 and 401102290899 - although a slightly longer thread (at least 15mm of thread to allow for the thickness of the washer) would be better on the 8mm one. NB. first size is the thread, second size (M10) is the ball. The 8mm stud goes into the front bolt position of the hood hinge.

I got also got some 6mm and 8mm washers (the 6mm ones will need to be the "penny / repair" type to completely cover the hole in the wing mount, a standard washer is ok for the 8mm stud.""

9 hours ago, hitmn said:

Hi guys,
found the febi bilstein in ebay,
but can't find anything else.
I really need some help for those :)

""The ball pins are 6mm x M10 and 8mm x M10, Ebay items 201561709396 and 401102290899 - although a slightly longer thread (at least 15mm of thread to allow for the thickness of the washer) would be better on the 8mm one. NB. first size is the thread, second size (M10) is the ball. The 8mm stud goes into the front bolt position of the hood hinge.

I got also got some 6mm and 8mm washers (the 6mm ones will need to be the "penny / repair" type to completely cover the hole in the wing mount, a standard washer is ok for the 8mm stud.""

you can get these:

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/2x-10mm-BALL-STUD-BOLT-M8-for-gas-struts-ball-ended-bolt-bonnet-hatch-STD-002-/111293094319

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/2x-10mm-BALL-STUD-BOLT-M6-for-gas-strut-struts-ball-ended-bolt-bonnet-STD-001-/111293093987

• 2 weeks later...

Installed, but with some modifications with my pocket knife. I forgot to take a shot, but the bilstein shape is a little bit different. I highlithed it at the pic below. This one (on the pic) is "concave", bilstein it is not, so I made it with my knife :)
All is functioning now :)

hood damper.JPG

On 5/29/2017 at 14:58, hitmn said:

Installed, but with some modifications with my pocket knife. I forgot to take a shot, but the bilstein shape is a little bit different. I highlithed it at the pic below. This one (on the pic) is "concave", bilstein it is not, so I made it with my knife :)
All is functioning now :)

hood damper.JPG

Hi Hitmn, it looks as if the 'stand-off' (or lack of ) was your problem with the top mounting ball-pin. The pins I got had a thicker hexagon section to them - but it took a lot of searching on the web to get them. The longer hex also gives a little more contact surface for tightening them. Other than that, are you happy with the struts? 

• 3 weeks later...

got all the bits but ran into the same problem as above a double washer on the bonnect hinge sorts it but the bolt thread was a bit short so hopefully these will overcome the issue. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-10mm-BALL-STUD-BOLT-M8-x25mm-LONG-gas-struts-ball-ended-bolt-bonnet-hatch-/112180735777?hash=item1a1e7e2f21:g:-8UAAOSwImRYD0mF

• 7 months later...

Apologies for the thread resurrection, looking to get the Febi struts as used by the last few posters but a bit confused about the ball studs based on the comments.

Can anyone who used the Febi struts confirm the best ball stud thread lengths etc to ensure there is sufficient gap between the strut and the bonnet edge? Thanks

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

I’ve just read it and confused as hell too. 

When specifying Gas Struts you need the closed centre dimension, force, any end damping (usually only one end) and the stroke as well as the end ball dimensions.

Not seen the closed centre dimension mentioned anywhere, I know the Stabilus rep so will get some foc when I find out all the above.

There is oil in the cylinder and the Cylinder should be mounted to the Hood//Bonnet to keep the seals lubed when closed.

It seems to be that the Febi 27709 have the right length and force and I will be going for those.

Was looking at this M8 10mm ball joint https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x3-ball-extension Will the thread length of 12mm be enough for clearance with the washer? 220 I noticed you mentioned the 25mm length ones, did you use those in the end?  @hitmn @Warrior193 @220

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

It seems to be that the Febi 27709 have the right length and force and I will be going for those.

Was looking at this M8 10mm ball joint https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x3-ball-extension Will the thread length of 12mm be enough for clearance with the washer? 220 I noticed you mentioned the 25mm length ones, did you use those in the end?  @hitmn @Warrior193 @220

Yes I used the 25mm's in the end no issues with fitment.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 220 said:

Yes I used the 25mm's in the end no issues with fitment.

Thanks for the quick reply to my quoting of such an old post! 25mm only required on the M8 end then? 12mm length fine on the M6? Everything all good with this installation still since you fitted mid last year?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SashaGrace said:

Very nice :) Are you leaving prop on? I would have to remove it, it would bug my OCD far too much!

Thanks! No I'm going to remove it, but its bloody freezing outside today so I'll leave that for another time :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ahenners said:

Thanks everyone who posted with advice on the struts, bolts etc. Fitted mine today and works perfectly, so much better! :)

HOTGGE.jpg

@ahenners did you buy them from SuperSkoda? or from somewhere else!

I've been in two minds if to do this but the more I see them, the more I just want to do it! Also can I ask what you needed to buy apart from the dampers in-order to fit them, B) Thanks