The anti-theft project

I am opening this topic hoping that in the end will become a guide for securing our cars better.

In our days, car thieves don't care much of any car alarm system, because they use brute force to break in and steal whatever they find valuable. In fact I think the best feature of any car alarm system is the possibility to find your car in large parking lots. As I said, thieves from middle to low value cars, as Felicia, don't use sophisticated scanners to disable their alarm systems. They use a crowbar instead or a hammer to attack door locks and/or windows and snatch the objects of interest regardless of any howling from the alarm.

That is why I am interested in technical details, tips, manufacturers data, maybe even photos from more experienced mechanics and electricians that could explain how to:

- remove all door locks and the boot lock

- apply a hammer-resistant foil on windows

I know that one time tested solution, is to bolt some sort of safetey box to the chassis.
In this safety box you can put your valuables.

In case my original message was not clear enough, I will add a visual representation of things I would like to avoid. I hope that I amnmot the only one interested in preventing/discouraging a crowbar-type car break-in that could happen to anyone.

car-break-in_zpsfb6df140.jpg

I had considered this when I had the Fun truck. The only "worry" I had was: if you've removed the exterior door-locks and used the remote central locking to gain entry, what would you do in the (however unlikely) event of a flat battery?

No knowning what Polish legislation is like, but you could always rig one of these to the alarm.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

I think that there is nothing preventing someone from stealing something from your car...

i mean they can easily tow it, take it somewhere and strip it in a matter of minutes.

There are gps tracking devices that can be installed  to at least help identify where the car is in case it gets stolen.

Another possibility is to install an alarm system that sends a warning via a text or phone call to alert you that there is something wrong...

I have installed an alarm like this and so far so good but it can also be annoying at times if the alarm kicks in for no reason.

I guess another possible theft prevention is to try and keep it  inside a garage as much as possible if not being used.

Removing the door locks would only slow down the robber plus in some cases it cannot be done due to legal issues >.< at least in my country its illegal 

Edited by warbuli

I like the strong box idea. I think toughened glass and no locks would only discourage someone once they'd already done some expensive damage to doors and bodywork. Anti shatter films would probably still allow the window to break but hold the pieces in place.

If valuables are in a hidden locked box under the front seats out of sight it removes some of the incentive to attack the car with a crow bar.

Nobody said that removing door locks and anti-theft foil for windows will solve all security issues. I mentioned preventing/discouraging theft. For car-lifting and towing we have alarms systems, right? And we're talking about Felicia, not a BMW X5. I would like to see somebody dum enough to lift/tow a Felicia with the alarm howling for ever...

One detail in case you didn't know: the window foil I'm talking about is not the privacy foil, it is a sledgehammer resist foil. What is the point of having a security box? Keeping your wedding ring or Raybans safe while being left with windows shattered and broken locks?

Come on, people, try thinking out of the box.

Removing the door locks would only slow down the robber plus in some cases it cannot be done due to legal issues >.< at least in my country its illegal 

Really :o :o :o why?

I suspect that "sledgehammer resistant foil" on the windows won't leave the windows unscarred after the burglar have made an failed attemt.
Then you are left with the task to replace both the window and new foil.

Honestly, I see no way to escape the inconveniance of restoring your car, after a break-in attempt, regardless of it being a successful attempt or not.

If the burglar has choosen your car, it will get bruised up.

What you can hope to achieve, is to make it impossible for the burglar to get away with your valuables.
This might be possible with applying foil on the windows, but I would have to see it before I believe it...
Foil that stops a sledgehammer sounds too unrealistic in my ears. :)

The more realistic approach is to have a safety box.

Outside the box thinking:
Or if you want it larger you can transform your entire trunk to a large safe. ;)
Discrete and 100% safe.

so what can we do to secure better our cars against breaking in?

I think we should ask somebody who had the unpleasant surprise of finding his door lock ripped and window shattered...

I bet when they saw their beloved car vandalized their soul sinked...

I'll tell you what I do in the scrapyards to get into a felicia if they are locked up and the keys are missing, I just simply bend the top half of the rear door out till I can get my hand in to pull the lock striker up. So personally I don't see the point of window films, it certainly wouldn't stop me getting in, before anybody says it I don't make a habit of breaking into cars but I do know a few tricks from my days of working at a breakdown/recovery company.

I've got a scrap door somewhere, I might do a few experiments on how to strengthen the lock plate.

• Like 2

The only "worry" I had was: if you've removed the exterior door-locks and used the remote central locking to gain entry, what would you do in the (however unlikely) event of a flat battery?

that is fixable with little ingenuity.

an external hidden fused socket in parallel with the central locking power supply.

bring a small 12V/7Ah and plug it in.

open!

ah yes flat battery syndrome... the door locks are a bit dodgy on my fun truck, so i normally rely on the central locking, but the battery is a bit dodgy too so sometimes i cant get in it, i just get underneath and attach the battery charger or jump leads to the terminal on the starter motor from underneath to get it opened up

• Like 1

Yeah... quite scary how easy it is.

To do:

- remove unlock buttons (I never use them anyways)

- add an extra latch on the upper corner of door window frame to prevent any wedge insertion (solid or inflatable)

The only prevention is to not leave valuables on display

^^^^ This.

If nothing is on show (and no tell tale suction cup marks on the windscreen show a sat nav etc has been in the car) then surely the scrotes will move on the the next car.

I fail to see that a 15+ year old Felica is going to be stolen because it’s a desirable car (no offence to owners but they are hardly worth big bucks = so not worth much to break or sell on)

I can see why a 15-year old car would be stolen: less security makes it more attractive to the low-life that would steal it, rag it then burn it.

Just to be clear: is this to prevent theft of the car, or theft from the car?

Fair question. This topic is about making break-ins as difficult as possible for a reasonable cost.

It is assumed the car has a basic alarm system with shock and lift sensors.

I can see why a 15-year old car would be stolen: less security makes it more attractive to the low-life that would steal it, rag it then burn it.

Exactly.

I fail to see that a 15+ year old Felica is going to be stolen because it’s a desirable car (no offence to owners but they are hardly worth big bucks

how very dare you :rofl:  mine attracts a lot of attention, its an absolute clunge magnet

• Like 1

This topic is about making break-ins as difficult as possible for a reasonable cost.

In that case.....

The only prevention is to not leave valuables on display

....would be about the best answer then. If there's nothing on display, then there's no reason to try and break in.

I have seen lock-boxes that bolt to the car as krrcan suggested in post 2. This would give an added layer of security, as it would no longer be smash 'n' grab but require time and tools. But beyond that I think that anything effective that could be done would probably cost more than the car itself, with the exception of turning the whole boot into a lock-box.

that is a stupid 'invention'.

I don't see any country legislator dumb enough to make it legal.

a kid could touch the car and die.

and the thief... yeah he might get zapped once, but next time...

he'll chop that car with an ax.

or throw boulders at every window, headlight and lamp.

or throw a bucket of paint on the windshield.

or pour brake fluid on the roof, bonnet, hood.

or throw a Molotov cocktail through a window and set it on fire.

aso...

I quite often leave my glovebox open so you can see there is nothing in there from the outside, plus also I will leave the parcel shelf out if the car is going to parked for long periods so also you can see there is nothing in the boot, my logic being that if there is nothing obvious on display it's not worth breaking in.

• Like 1