The anti-theft project

I leave it unlocked, take anything important with me, leave junk and rubbish all over the interior and put a disklock on the steering wheel.

I don't lock the back and leave the latch open. If there's something worth nicking in there, I back right up to a wall or hedge.

Edited by StevesTruck

I leave it unlocked,

it is always nice to read there are people taking care of homeless, junkies or hookers and offer them an environment to do their thing during the night.

leave junk and rubbish all over the interior

that's easy enough for anyone except you'll find more junk next morning, condoms included.

and put a disklock on the steering wheel.

what is wrong with the immobilizer?

is it so easy to bypass by a thief??

I don't lock the back and leave the latch open. If there's something worth nicking in there, I back right up to a wall or hedge.

after all the above anti-theft measures, I find it somehow overkill.

• Like 1

and put a disklock on the steering wheel.

what is wrong with the immobilizer?

is it so easy to bypass by a thief??

Leaving aside the jokes, that is an interesting question. Considering a very documented thief, how much time would he need to disable the immobilizer on Felicia and drive away?

If you have the right equipment you could start the engine without the keys in 10 seconds flat, it's unlikely anybody would bother to go to that amount of trouble to steal a car like that however.

If you have the right equipment you could start the engine without the keys in 10 seconds flat,

To be fair this is still true with today's technology. It is well-known how easy it is to pinch "state of the art" key-less BMWs.

Many years ago I saw an ignition system for a bike. The key was a similar kind of thing to that which is used in the VAG range (i.e. quite chunky, with a 'proper' key.) In the chunky bit it held the ignition mapping.

If you have the right equipment you could start the engine without the keys in 10 seconds flat, it's unlikely anybody would bother to go to that amount of trouble to steal a car like that however.

I am genuinely amazed...

10 seconds to start a Felicia with immobilizer without having the keys?

that is very worrying to say the least.

can you elaborate a little without revealing too much?

I hope you're not talking about those custom scanners for thieves of high-end cars.

The average scally knows they're not going to get past a disk lock without making a lot of noise for quite a while. Whereas if they fancy their chances against the standard security, they could leave me quite a mess to tidy up before I can drive to work. Likewise if they want to get in, they'll bend a door or break a window regardless, so I just leave the doors unlocked to save having to hover the glass up.

Edited by StevesTruck

Ive had my car done twice on the same door by bending back the frame.  I've now fitted another door.  To give this one a bit of a chance I've hammered a 10mm Allen key into a channel in the frame overlapping where it'll bend, with the perpendicular part of it cut to touch the inner part of the door so that when it bends it is also constrained by the inner part of the door.

I hope that it'll have quite a springy action so it'll snap back and trap the lowlifes fingers.

post-5007-0-62177200-1397903933_thumb.jpg

And this was as far as they got before the alarm did it's job and believe it or not the second time the git was caught.

I wish they'd just break a window and be done with it, easily repaired that way.

I don't understand why there is no solution for that corner of the frame. Are all engineers out of ideas? I am throwing one in: an electromagnetic actuated latch coupled to central locking. With some ingenuity it could result a functional, strong, esthetic latch.

fordfan_zps22ebb1ed.jpg

Not necessarily, you could use some sort of latching solenoid, that toggles position when it's activated so the power it uses is only momentary, it would be quite tricky to engineer though plus it would need to be adjustable to allow for a bit of play in the door hinges.. I shouldn't say this but I like the idea of welding razor blades to the door skin so if some little oik gets his fingers in there they get sliced off.

You realise how much power that would need?

Yes, I do. Exactly the same power needed by a central locking actuator. Slide a rod then disconnect. It's not like you keep the frame in place by a giant electromagnet, which by the way would drain the battery in 5 minutes.

Not necessarily, you could use some sort of latching solenoid, that toggles position when it's activated so the power it uses is only momentary, it would be quite tricky to engineer though plus it would need to be adjustable to allow for a bit of play in the door hinges.. I shouldn't say this but I like the idea of welding razor blades to the door skin so if some little oik gets his fingers in there they get sliced off.

For some reason read it as a mag lock rather than magnetic activated solenoid.
  • Like 1

how about some sort of linkage that is operated by the normal door handle with a rod that goes up vertically. And pushes a pin up out of the door into a slot on the body to prevent the door opening without the handle being lifted?

Your idea is better, I agree. Do you have any old car around to put it in practice? I would be very interested to know how hard a thief armed with a crowbar should have to fight with the door. Maybe you can issue a pattent too, or at least reinforce car doors for the right price.

Here is the last method to break in a car.

Conclusion: if any anti-theft method fails, my last resort is this:

dogonboard_zps12df4a04.jpg