tweenster's S2000

tweenster

Update.

Well she's still going strong and has just ticked over 55,000 miles. I have to top up the oil occasionally but it's probably 500ml every 1000 miles and I can live with that. I finally got round to submitting the photographic evidence of the passenger seat heating element overheating and burning through the seat material (similar but not as severe as the drivers seat) and am waiting for Skoda to respond (it has the full Skoda extended warranty). The wheels could do with a returb and the front sticker is suffering from stone damage and could do with being replaced. But the best bit is that it is still an absolute hoot to drive! There are only 5 more payments and then it is ours and at present we intend to keep it for another year or so, maybe stretch it out until I retire in summer 2019 and then get something newer.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some new front tyres and after much research I chose Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3; wet grip A and noise rated at a whispering 67 dB. Car is also booked in for its 55,000 mile service. Still a few good miles in the old girl yet!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I took the vRS to do the shopping chores. Bimbling through a local village at the speed limit of 30mph and white van man comes right up on to my tail. We move into a 40 zone, I speed up to the new limit and WVM is still right there, far closer than is necessary. Into a 50 zone, I speed up again and WVM stays on my bumper but unable to attempt an overtake because of the oncoming traffic. We come to a T-junction to join a straight NSL road and I sensed that WVM intended to use this opportunity to overtake. As any normal vRS owner would do, I checked the oil temperature; yep, we are clear for take off! I checked right, I checked left, the road was clear and I pulled out, I let the car straighten up and then floored it!

**** off you ****!

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed that, as childish as it may seem!

• Like 2

It's one of the best aspects of these cars - the surprise factor. I can still remember the woman in a Mercedes convertible, who had two "goes" at me. I don't think she believed it the first time. By the time we approached a third set of lights, she suddenly decided she needed to be in the left lane (behind me). :D

• Like 2

Skoda have approved the replacement of the heated seat element and repair to the front passenger seat as a warranty job, the hunt for seat material begins again - it took several weeks last time!

Both front seats will have had the heating element replaced after overheating and burning through the material; are there any other known instances of this or have we just been unlucky?

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I 'borrowed' the vRS to collect my son from Uni on Saturday and take him back today. I don't get to drive it very often and I must say I had forgotten just how much fun it is to drive. As it was a Bank Holiday weekend I avoided the motorways and main A routes and opted for the back roads, choosing the vRS was because of its overtaking ability, significantly better than my 1.2TSi estate!

The ability to overtake is fantastic, and in the twisty bits, the lowered Eibach springs and RARB really do their job, giving huge confidence in the corners. The Goodyear tyres have taken the edge off the noise issues, which is great, and also seem to have helped with ride comfort. And all this fun as had at 43mpg, which I was also very impressed with considering I had been fairly generous with the loud pedal.

It now has just over 61,000 miles on the clock and is just over 7 years old; it still looks great (although the wheels could do with a refurb) and is great fun to drive, but I suspect it will be replaced when I retire in 2019.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I purchased some 15" alloys from Bogwoppit earliest this week and thought I would trial fit just in case they didn't clear the brakes. The good need is, they do! Will be purchasing winter tyres this week.

20181026_160144.jpg

20181026_160154.jpg

1 hour ago, tweenster said:

I purchased some 15" alloys from Bogwoppit earliest this week and thought I would trial fit just in case they didn't clear the brakes. The good need is, they do! Will be purchasing winter tyres this week.

20181026_160144.jpg

20181026_160154.jpg

They over standard brake setup?

^^^ Those are OEM Mk2 Fabia vRS brakes.

@tweenster,

Are you putting on Snow Tyres?

I tried on AVONS today.  I used to use Avon Ice Touring but these have had good reviews and are not expensive.  But i was not looking for cheap just good in the snow and XL.

About £50 in a size to suite your Twincharger.

195/55 R 15.        or maybe 205/55 R 15 (Petlas W651 Snowmaster, a bit bigger than 205/40 R 17 but OK.)

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

DSCN2199.JPG.30cfd32098e16a25154a4af30456981a.JPG

DSCN2218.JPG.c9114c6410d746ca9a4e77df0c26aae9.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:30, tweenster said:

I was planning on 4-season tyres rather than full snow tyres, and my preferred choice at present is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 In 195/55 VR15 XL.

Vredesteins ordered; should be here Tuesday and I will get them fitted at my local garage next weekend. Am really looking forward to seeing/feeling the difference these wheels and tyres make to the ride, as well as the improved grip in the wet and cold weather.

It was -1 here this morning and the new tyres arrived so popped down to the local garage who fitted them to my 'new' winter wheels and I fitted them to the car this afternoon. I took it for a quick spin round the block to check there were no unexpected clunks or bumps (there weren't) and whilst it may take a while to get used to the look, one thing that won't take long to get used to is the significantly improved ride comfort! OK, I probably need a longer trip to confirm the first impressions but the difference was amazing. I expected Mrs T will not want to change back come the spring, so these wheels maybe getting painted white next year!

Tyres are Vredestein Quatrac 5 In 195/55 VR15 XL. These are all-season tyres rather than out-and-out winter/snow tyres but will still perform significantly better than summer tyres when the temperature drops. Will report back in due course.

20181031_153356.jpg

• Like 1

Plug in and change,  same as xds, brake assist.   There are posts,  just search.   More assist or less.  On 195's I put less assist from factory.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs T has been commuting with the new wheel/tyre combination and agrees that it is a more comfortable ride. I drove it for about 60 miles today and this confirmed my initial impression that it is significantly more comfortable and less 'crashy' (not sure how better to explain it!). The tyres appear to have sufficient grip but they are all-season tyres so the current weather is not likely to show them at their best - need it to get colder!

Also, after looking at the car for a couple of weeks now, the new wheel/tyre combo looks good. A bit early to make a decision but I suspect they may get refurbished in the spring and changed to white. Could keep them on all year round then!

• 1 month later...

29 Dec 18 - car went in for a major service at 65000 miles; a few issues:

1.   Bump stops have deteriorated and need replacing - £120.

2.   Rear silencer coroding (advisory only at this time) - £330.

3.   Temperature and fuel gauge needles not illuminating - £830!!! WTF??? Left this one with the warranty manager...

Car still runs great and the 15" wheels have transformed the ride; it is now quite comfortable. The winter tyres lack outright grip but that's not actually a surprise and you learn to drive accordingly. I would love it if the car was a more subtle colour with the 15" wheels, would qualify as a sleeper then. 2019 might see it replaced, I have a couple of ideas but am actually still enjoying it, so maybe we shall wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 00:57, tweenster said:

3.   Temperature and fuel gauge needles not illuminating - £830!!! WTF??? Left this one with the warranty manager...

Skoda have agreed to fix the needles under warranty; happy days! Car goes in on 21 Jan to be fixed.

Warranty pays for itself several times over once more!

Edited by tweenster

• 2 months later...

Car has decided that burning the oil was not enough, so it has decided to leak it on to the drive. It's booked in on Thursday to investigate and I have already told them I expect it to be another warranty job. Coincidentally, I received my warranty renewal  request today - £216 for the year, all component cover, up to 15,000 miles per annum and zero excess - seems like a bargain!

Well that was an unspectacular anti-climax - the oil was leaking from around the sump plug. New sump plug and road test and all appears to be fine. Goodwill gesture from the garage - they picked up the whole bill!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent upturn in the weather, and the nation's move to BST, it was time to remove the winter wheels & tyres today and put the white Gigaros back on. When removing the winters, I always give them a thorough check over for stones, cuts etc. Imagine my dismay when I found a strip of metal stuck in one. When I removed it I found it was about 3cm long and the accompanying hissing sound confirmed it had punctured the tyre. It is in one of the channels in the middle of the tread so I'm hoping it is repairable. Car looks great again; grumpy about the puncture.

• Like 1