My "marmite" Yeti

All these mods on leased car?

Seems like a waste of money to me. I have to admit the "upgrade bug" bite me too in the past as it was with my Subaru WRX estate. But after leasing for 1 year and spending so much money for upgrade I bought that car out

It's on a 42-month PCP which we have every intention of buying (by paying the balloon payment) at the end of the lease.

Even if we then sell it, I will still have had 3+ years of enjoyment from the mods I have done - so I don't see it as a "waste of money" - I don't do mods to improve resale value, only to personalise the car to my own taste during my ownership.

Most of them are very easily removed for sale anyway - so if/when I do part with the Yeti, or in the unlikely event that I choose simply to hand it back at the end of the term, you can expect to see some of them in the classifieds section on here unless the new owner wants them.

First time Ive read this thread and whole heartedly agree, its your car and you do what you want to it. I actually quite like it. Dam shame about the bump but at least theyre fixing it for you, just be a bit picky amd make sure the finish is correct and to your satisfaction.

Did you get any footage on the dash cam?

Keep up the modding and the thread.

The dash cam... well that's an interesting question.

I had the cam set to record in 5 min bursts - at the end of each burst it saves a file then starts the next 5 mins - meaning you miss precisely 5 seconds of recording time while it transitions from one file to the next.

My accident happened within these 5 seconds. So I have the footage showing the brake lights coming on for the car in front at 4.58-5.00 minutes of 1st file and literally the 3 of us in the car swearing at the beginning of the 2nd file - but the moment of impact? Missed. Sods law.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but why did you set the intervals so low? Is the a max time/file size your cam can support?

The interval can be changed. It is partially to do with the size of the SD card fitted. As you can appreciate I will be changing that when I get the car back (today hopefully!).

Thanks JimboVRS - yes I am really pleased with the way it has all come together.

No further mods planned now - I pronounce it "Finished"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there

This looks absolutely fantastic , you've done well. We used to have a FL Tour de France but got rid. However, currently trying to decide on another - either an 'indoor' SEL with lots of tasty options from factory or a more or less standard L&K - both to get fettled afterwards such as yourself.

Looks great.

• 3 months later...

Today's mod.... out with the vest holder & in with a far more useful underseat drawer under the driver seat.

2wcqgzp.jpg

Fairly simple to fit - just unbolted the seat frame first to give easier access to the underside of the seat - 3 screws into pre-existing threaded holes and jobs a good-un!

Already been filled with my detritus!

Glad you found it easy. Mine was a real pig to get in place and I've still got one screw not fitted! And I took the seat out.

I have read lots of posts about folk saying what a faff it was to fit the drawer - I have no idea why - it was so easy to do - 15 mins start to finish.

I didn't remove the seat from the car - just unbolted it and rocked it backwards so I could get access to the underside.

• 2 months later...

Well as the Yeti is now over 2 years old, it's likely that this will be the last year of our ownership so the modding is pretty much over... But, having had a Rapid as a courtesy car while ours was in for a service recently, I spotted how much nicer the headlamp switch was - with a nice silver insert on the control knob - so couldn't help myself, had to buy one...

2whjeyp.jpg

Adds a little touch of class to that part of the dashboard I think. A nice finishing touch - may well be the last mod!
  • Like 2

Ah yes - that was a 99p ebay purchase - supposed to make it glow at night - doesn't work - but does make the key barrel easier to locate meaning less likely to scratch the (so easily marked) steering column shroud plastics.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Not updated this for a while, simply because there's been nothing to add. The car runs faultlessly and we have got it to the spec we wanted.

The plan had been to part-ex the car in September, at an age of 2.5 years - the optimal time to sell while it's still under warranty, but we decided it's simply too good a car to let go of, so we have decided to hang on to it a little longer - at least another year.

With this in mind we had to ready it for a winter outing to the Isle of Skye where we're going for Christmas & Hogmanay.

So it is now adorning a set of Semperit winter tyres fitted to a set of refurbished 17"  Dolomite wheels, and it also has a lovely brand new gloss black Kamei Delphine roof box bolted to genuine skoda roof bars. And I think, though it's a different look, it still looks the part....

124irk6.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've read this thread with great interest! Just about to purchase a candy white Yeti with Matterhorn alloys as a second car. The changes you've made look fantastic and have inspired me to consider a few mods in the summer. The paddles especially are an excellent addition. I was a bit surprised there was no official option for those via Skoda really. Good work! 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another update - well, in this case, the final update.

A couple of months ago I did the final mod to the car - which was to fit dampened grab handles. The ones I fitted were from a Mk6 Golf but in hindsight it would have been easier to retro-fit the dampers to the Yeti's existing handles as significant modification was required to get the Golf handles to fit - as they have a different mounting.

However once fitted the tiny but notable touch of extra class was easily perceived every time I used the handles.

Sadly that mod came in amongst a number of issues that we ran into with the car & the dealer.

Firstly, the dealer managed to prang the car while in for a service - they never told us it had happened but when we arrived to collect the car as planned there were red faces as clearly the car was still in the bodyshop. They fessed up and loaned us a car but that was not a good start - especially as it later transpired that the dealer's own bodyshop is NOT VAG approved!

Seondly just before the warranty expired I noted the dreaded "Zinc Inclusions" issue - small blisters on the bottom of all 4 doors. After a row with the dealer they eventually got this approved under warranty and 4 brand new doors were painted & fitted. It was in the bodyshop for nearly 2 months as they were continually waiting on parts and in the end the replacement lower decals. This time it went to another bodyshop as VAG would not pay the Skoda dealer to do the repair since their own bodyshop it transpired didn't meet their approval standards..... this made me question the quality of the repair they'd carried out when they pranged the car!

Once we got over that issue the warranty expired but we were not concerned by this as we had 4 brand new doors and a car we fully intended to keep. But then just 2 months out of warranty the DSG gearbox went wrong. A £5000+ repair estimate followed for a new gearbox. To-ing & fro-ing with Skoda customer services eventually got this reduced to £565 but this was a wake-up call and seriously called into question whether we were doing the right thing keeping the car. Noting that the balloon payment to buy the car outright was £11500, and with Skoda dealers having similar age/mileage/spec cars on their forecourt for £11,000 (before any discount is negotiated) made us realise we would be paying over the odds to keep this car.

So after a few days de-personalising the car, finally today, it's just been collected by British Car Auctions on behalf of Skoda Finance. It's next stop no doubt being an auction, and after that, who knows.... maybe HY14CWA will turn up somewhere else and will probably be a fine buy for whoever has it next - especially as it now benefits from a 2 year DSG gearbox warranty and will come with a 1 year dealer warranty no-doubt.

Maybe a future owner will find this journal and will be able to see a fully documented history of it's first 42 months!

In the meantime, many of the special / personalised bits are now to be found in the for-sale section of this site!

5 hours ago, 137699 said:

Another update - well, in this case, the final update.... it's just been collected by British Car Auctions ..

The end of a long story, with many twists and turns.  A bit like finishing the last page of a good thriller!  Good luck with the next car - another Yeti?