'service campaign' DQ200 DSG Oil Change,ECU update, Fabias in UK.

I had mine done yesterday although it was this evening before I got the car back due to another issue...

On Sunday evening my dash lit up like a Christmas tree (to use that old cliché...) and I had no brake lights, central locking, indicators, wipers etc. (basically everything electrical). I called out the RAC - the chap thought the most likely cause was a locked or broken module - he disconnected then reconnected the battery, which brought everything back to life, and advised me to take it to the dealer.

I didn't drive it until yesterday morning, when I took it to Henrys in Glasgow city centre (a journey of about four miles) - Henrys tested it and couldn't find any faults at the time of the test - they asked me if the RAC guy had cleared the faults but he told me he wouldn't do that as it wouldn't leave anything for the dealer to go on (the engine management system light remained on but all the other warning lights were now clear).

Anyway, on checking the control unit Henrys found the bracket broken, which appears to be the most likely cause (although they can't guarantee it won't recur - they have of course replaced the bracket and cleaned and checked the wiring). I'm struggling to think how the bracket got broken and the only thing I can think of is I had to slam the anchors on at a decent bit of speed - it may be possible (although it does sound unlikely) that while doing this my foot somehow smacked off the control unit.

Anyway, the reason for this digression is that it's probably quite fortunate it happened when the car was due to go in for the service campaign in relation to the gearbox. As part of that they updated the ECU software and took the car a few test drives to make sure everything was running ok (hence why they kept the car an extra day). I have to say the guys at Henrys (service desk and workshop) were top notch. I certainly have a lot more confidence in them than I did with Parks...

• Like 3

Hi I'm a newbie, I think this an appropriate place to post this.

The wife always fancied the Octavia VRS (but I like a big car so we got a Superb 1.8 TSI with a DSG) so when she saw a 2011 Fabia VRS in red and black at a very reasonable price at our local dealer (while I was booking the superb in for its DSG recall) a trip to the piggy bank was made and she is the proud owner of a 44k mile pocket rocket (do they make wedges to fit under the accelerator?)

On getting it home I started to look through all of the invoices and service history & I came across the slightly disturbing warranty report at the last service "excessive oil consumption reported" that was followed by a

consumption check failed -

modified breather pipe fitting & software upgrade -

recheck failed -

new engine fitted.

Phew!

This is reflected in the service book under workshop entries - new engine fitted (by a dealer in Devizes)

I also notice the local dealer (Barnstaple) made an entry about a week (& 250miles) later it that just says 34F7 & a sticker in the boot to match I'm assuming this is the DSG recall work

My main concern is do the the engine & vin numbers on the V5 still match (where do I find it on the engine?) and I note it has done about 250 miles since the engine was replaced in May and then only about 50 miles since May, is that a problem?

Thanks for a great forum

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

The car might be one that a member on here's Partner had, and they got the new engine fitted, then traded in for another vRS just right after getting the car back.

He might be along to confirm or not. (Maybe PM you.)

It was a good car, and got an extended warranty i think.

Sounds like you should have got a good one now even if not this car..

The new engine should not be an issue.

What Warranty has come with the car, & who Underwrites it?

You will not be able to see the Numbers on the Engine.

Call the Dealer that fitted it and see if they tell you.

'They arrive with no numbers and we stamp the old numbers on, no need to do anything.'

**Ask them to send you a Letter to that effect, Headed Paper with the Technicians name and signature that he/she stamped the old numbers on the Block.**

Then call Skoda UK Customer Services and ask the same thing, and if the Call Handler does not know the answer,

ask them to get the Skoda Special Technical Team to contact you.

Other Members have been told by Dealerships that there was no need to Contact the DVLA or Change the Engine Numbers,

only to find out from Skoda UK that that was not True or Correct, their Replacement Engine did have Different Numbers and the V5 

required changing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hi I'm a newbie, I think this an appropriate place to post this.

The wife always fancied the Octavia VRS (but I like a big car so we got a Superb 1.8 TSI with a DSG) so when she saw a 2011 Fabia VRS in red and black at a very reasonable price at our local dealer (while I was booking the superb in for its DSG recall) a trip to the piggy bank was made and she is the proud owner of a 44k mile pocket rocket (do they make wedges to fit under the accelerator?)

On getting it home I started to look through all of the invoices and service history & I came across the slightly disturbing warranty report at the last service "excessive oil consumption reported" that was followed by a

consumption check failed -

modified breather pipe fitting & software upgrade -

recheck failed -

new engine fitted.

Phew!

This is reflected in the service book under workshop entries - new engine fitted (by a dealer in Devizes)

I also notice the local dealer (Barnstaple) made an entry about a week (& 250miles) later it that just says 34F7 & a sticker in the boot to match I'm assuming this is the DSG recall work

My main concern is do the the engine & vin numbers on the V5 still match (where do I find it on the engine?) and I note it has done about 250 miles since the engine was replaced in May and then only about 50 miles since May, is that a problem?

Thanks for a great forum

PM me directly if you want more details , as I know this car, I believe it was my partners.

• Like 1

Thanks goneoffski & VRSkeith,

I'm still too new to have PM yet :-(

The V5 had gone to the DVLA so I can't see what engine no is on it, there is a number on the stock list / receipt but as that shows the mileage as 43000 - bearing in mind they MOT'd it in May at 44800 I'm not sure I trust the accuracy of that document.

I took the "beautification" panel off the top of the engine and can see a QR code (I think) and two lines of very small numbers (approx 1mm high) etched in to a very shiny surface on the top of the block at the back of the engine, they're hard to read and nearly impossible to photograph.

As for the history it was originally PDI 'd by Jewsons Skoda in Abingdon in May 11, but not registered until July. Then a 5K service in November, at the same dealer. The rest of the servicing was carried out every 10K by Turners in Devizes.

Keith the car had the brake fluid changed and a bald tyre at the last service if that helps, I'd love to know more about it if it was your partners, when I get PM.

• Like 1

Thanks goneoffski & VRSkeith,

I'm still too new to have PM yet :-(

The V5 had gone to the DVLA so I can't see what engine no is on it, there is a number on the stock list / receipt but as that shows the mileage as 43000 - bearing in mind they MOT'd it in May at 44800 I'm not sure I trust the accuracy of that document.

I took the "beautification" panel off the top of the engine and can see a QR code (I think) and two lines of very small numbers (approx 1mm high) etched in to a very shiny surface on the top of the block at the back of the engine, they're hard to read and nearly impossible to photograph.

As for the history it was originally PDI 'd by Jewsons Skoda in Abingdon in May 11, but not registered until July. Then a 5K service in November, at the same dealer. The rest of the servicing was carried out every 10K by Turners in Devizes.

Keith the car had the brake fluid changed and a bald tyre at the last service if that helps, I'd love to know more about it if it was your partners, when I get PM.

No problem- car is 100% genuine, your missus will have a good little motor. Fully documented e-mail help by me with Skoda UK and Turners dealership.

DSG should have been covered by Service Campaign via Barnstaple Skoda (Marshallweb dealership..)

I chased my contact at dealership, to check  out requirement for the car after a Thread  " RECALL" on here.( Briskoda ,again ahead of the dealers) The DSG issue was only raised by Skoda UK on the week of May 5th -8th . 

Checkout the useful threads.

vrskeith

• Like 1

I know there is another thread on owners and ex owners having received a letter from some Skoda UK department.

Could you please post if you got a letter from some place other than a Skoda Dealership suggesting you take your car in to be checked & a 'Field Action'

take place due to the 'silent service campaign being done'.

1. Who did the letter actually come from?

Also.

Could you post if you checked if your car with a DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG required action but were told no.

When was your car built, & which model is it?

thanks,

George

Ok George

I had a letter from

David Allen,

Head of customer quality and network development

Skoda UK

It is dated 9th July 2014

And refers to Customer Satisfaction Campaign 34F7

Which is the same number entered in to my VRS service book and label stuck in the boot

And actually relates to my 2011 Superb S 1.8 TSI - which did have a few weird options fitted as well as the DSG box - climatronic air con, full size spare, on an S? Why not have an SE - that said it is listed as an SE but doesn't have matrixdot display or reversing sensors etc.

I didn't check about any recalls for the car but when I went in with the letter everyone I spoke to at the front desk didn't have a clue about it, or we're being evasive?

Edited by Saab99

Rob,

My Partner loved that car to bits, niggles and all. Always put a smile on her face.

Hope your Missus has the similar smiley experience, with the New CTHE spec motor.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2

OK, I have done a whole tankfull of tesco 99 on the track at Blyton park at the national do today , and everything worked perfectly! I proper wrang its neck, the 900C yellowstuff pads are not up to a track like that (100mph stop to right angled corners THREE times within 2 miles!) so I am going to have to fork out £135 for some better tarox options!

all in all car worked very well, no issues at all (apart from hot brakes! lol) , bloody brilliant!

Shark

• Like 1

Just spoke to receptionist at Newmarket Skoda in Bannockburn about some work to be done on my car and I asked them about the oil change on DSG gearboxes and she actually knew about the situation and was tasked with the job a few days ago to source people whose cars were needing the work done, aparentally its a 3 hour job she was saying.

Anyway she got back to me within the hour as promised and told me my cars chassis number was not on the list needing the work done. So does it have mineral oil in the gearbox or not, seems to have been behaving well since new Oct 2012 with 8500 miles on the clock.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

It does seem between 2009 & 2014 there are ones that must have had Mineral Oil used at the Factory when the Units were Produced and the Engine & DSG married.

But it is a bit of a mystery which, & what run of DSG or periods in time,

or if something happened in some other way, at Dealerships or the likes.

(did they have some Test Procedure were some were Produced with Synthetic OIl in and some with Mineral.)

It is a pity that Skoda UK (VW UK) could not just make more Public the Actual need for the Service Campaign and list the Series of VIN numbers 

or vehicles they advise to have the action on.

Or just a Skoda UK Website VIN Checker for Owners in the UK that have no Dealership Contact and Dealers or Skoda UK have made no attempt yet to contact them.

eg,

for the need of a Skoda UK VIN Checker for Service Campaigns when they do not do 'Recalls'.

Some still have possibly Faulty Wiring or Switches or Elements with Heated Seats and Dealership Service Desks not letting them know.

george

Thanks for the reply George, looking at previous threads on this subject, there are guys whose cars from 2009-2014 are getting the work done so how can they differentiate. As you say the mineral oil would have been added during the build, let's hope their paperwork is up to scratch and not missing cars out.

On another subject I cannot find a thread on the spider effect on alloys I want to add a reply about my experience, could you help.

• Like 2

I know there is another thread on owners and ex owners having received a letter from some Skoda UK department.

Could you please post if you got a letter from some place other than a Skoda Dealership suggesting you take your car in to be checked & a 'Field Action'

take place due to the 'silent service campaign being done'.

1. Who did the letter actually come from?

Also.

Could you post if you checked if your car with a DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG required action but were told no.

When was your car built, & which model is it?

thanks,  

George

Had this letter arrive today:

imagejpg1-14.jpg

Ummmm, now should I book it in or not? Lol!

Any idea if I didn't bother getting it done if skoda would be able to wriggle out of a warranty claim at a later date if the gearbox broke?

• Like 2

Cheers for posting,

Is that for the new estate, not the last hatch ?

No wiggling room for Skoda / VWG really if they continued building DSG Gearboxes with Synthetic Oil a couple of years after they knew there were issues.

They might not have given the EU owners the Extended Warranty that they did in other World Regions,

& in the UK they might try shifting problems to the Dealerships that carried out the Service Campaign work on Skoda or Skoda UK's behalf.

But they have not done full Recalls and are just letting some Owners know, while many of those with the earliest built vehicles and vehicles out 

of Warranty have not been informed.

Skoda & the VWG will be responsible for their Design, Manufacturing or Quality Control of Parts for a long time,

Consumer Law in the UK & the EU will make certain they are.

Also they have Corporate Responsibility for the safety of Drivers, Passenger & the Public with vehicles they built,

yet they seem to say that the possible issues with Loss of Power, Drive or interruption to power is not a safety issue in the UK.

(the letter mentions the Blowing the Fuse Fuse for the Gearbox and nothing about Mechatronic Control Units failure that is the issue affecting some DSG around the world.)

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Cheers for posting,

Is that for the new estate, not the last hatch ?

No wiggling room for Skoda / VWG really if they continued building DSG Gearboxes with Synthetic Oil a couple of years after they knew there were issues.

They might not have given the EU owners the Extended Warranty that they did in other World Regions,

& in the UK they might try shifting problems to the Dealerships that carried out the Service Campaign work on Skoda or Skoda UK's behalf.

But they have not done full Recalls and are just letting some Owners know, while many of those with the earliest built vehicles and vehicles out 

of Warranty have not been informed.

Skoda & the VWG will be responsible for their Design, Manufacturing or Quality Control of Parts for a long time,

Consumer Law in the UK & the EU will make certain they are.

Also they have Corporate Responsibility for the safety of Drivers, Passenger & the Public with vehicles they built,

yet they seem to say that the possible issues with Loss of Power, Drive or interruption to power is not a safety issue in the UK.

(the letter mentions the Blowing the Fuse Fuse for the Gearbox and nothing about Mechatronic Control Units failure that is the issue affecting some DSG around the world.)

george

No problem George. The letter is for the new CTHE Estate.

I think I will book it in to be done. Abit odd they are saying book it in for a "precautionary check" and "if necessary have the oil changed? Surely they are sending me the letter because they know it needs doing....

• Like 1

Arse & Elbow comes to mind with them, it is very strange the ones that were originally supposed to be built during the Early Days that are being said do not require any action 

so they must have Mineral Oil in already from as much as 3 years ago, 

yet after the Faults were discovered and the Solution of using Mineral Oil they continued filling with Synthetic Oil at the Factory.

george

• Like 2

No problem George. The letter is for the new CTHE Estate.

I think I will book it in to be done. Abit odd they are saying book it in for a "precautionary check" and "if necessary have the oil changed? Surely they are sending me the letter because they know it needs doing....

What happened to full traceability, a bye word in Automotive manufacture.

Perhaps it doesn't apply at VAG!?

• Like 1

What happened to full traceability, a bye word in Automotive manufacture.

Perhaps it doesn't apply at VAG!?

Exactly, I assumed I'd had a letter because our car is on their list of affected cars containing synthetic oil which needs swapping over. However the wording implies I will have to go to the dealer so the car can be checked to see what type of oil is in it and changed "if necessary". Bizarre! I wonder how the technicians are going to carry out the precautionary check before deciding if it needs the oil replaced....?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my letter last friday (identical to FurbyTom's). My name and address are exactly as the DVLA have them so I'm almost certain that Skoda have been contacting DVLA for the current owner. It went in today for the work and I checked that it wasn't my local garage who initiated it. It's all done now and if anything the reset has made for smoother changes. I hadn't got round to plugging in VCDS and doing a reset, at least it saved me that effort.

? What 'reset' had you not done?   

I received a letter as well from

'David Allen' Head of Customer Quality and Network Development'. Skoda UK, Milton Keyes.

& Interestingly, if you no longer own the vehicle, the Tear Off gets sent to 

'Group Compliance and Campaigns'

Volkswagen Group UK ltd.

It is not a 'Recall', as it does not appear on the DVLA Recall website.

It is titled as 'Customer Satisfaction Campaign: 34F7'

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hello Folks

Got my call up papers for my Yeti and have had the oil change job done by my local dealer as advised.

But I am puzzled why does changing the gearbox oil take 3 hours!

And surely the main area where electrics hit oil is in the mechatronics unit? Which has its own oil supply.

In other countries recalls the mechatronics unit has been replaced in many cases.

So If indeed the gearbox itself oil has been replaced where is the electrical involvement?

Does the gearbox have filler and drain plugs ?

What type of oil is it and does it need changing in the future?

My dealer can't or won't tell me!!

Any ideas welcome.

John