Does anyone know what this is?

Hello everyone,

Discovered this in my driver's footwell on the way home from work this evening and I'm wondering where it came from. After having a good rummage around and a look through the Haynes manual I am none the wiser.

post-82748-0-72324700-1400521230_thumb.jpg

To be exact I found it with my right foot on the mat under the accelerator pedal.

I'm thinking it may be from one of the pedals or perhaps from the seat (could have rolled forward under braking)? Also, the car was in the garage last week having a wheel bearing changed so could it be something a mechanic left lying there by mistake? It looks like new; no scratches or anything.

Car is an '02 RS.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Ages ago (I posted about it), I found 3 bits under my seat.....  Pretty sure the seat doesn't go up/down anymore.  I am sure the spring hooks around part (2) which had broken off.  I think you get 2 springs per seat....

P1010339.JPG

close up of part (2)

P1010342combined.jpg

Edited by mbames
  • Like 1

Feels harder to jack the seat up while your fat butt is on it now, so I'm guessing it's a helper spring for the seat height adjuster. Still adjusts though...

I've filed mine in the corner of the garage somewhere.

Heheh, how strange that this thread came up now!

Because - only last week, I found exactly the same spring and bit of broken plastic rolling around in the driver's footwell of my '51 plate!

I thought it was probably a seat base spring - but wasn't too worried as my seat base still feels ok - even with my fat, 18 stone ass on it!

But now I see that it is even less of a worry...

So, I've just bunged it into the Nigel.

(Sorry - I've started to use 'Cockney Rhyming slang' - so for me, 'Nigel Farage = Garage'..... :) )

• 2 years later...

Old post, but very useful. Answers my questions of 'Mmmm, where did that come from?' and 'Do I need to repair/replace this?' In the garage it goes!