Octavia Mk2 - Engines, DPFs, Cambelts, Oils, Brakes and Servicing Info

The dealer must have switched the car from variable servicing (2 years or 20k miles, whichever is first) to fixed servicing (Every year or 10k miles).

Also a 2001 car will not be a CR engine and should of had at least 7 services by now.

If you're only doing maximum of 10k miles a year I would recommend fixed servicing anyway.

Fixed servicing in my opinion is really there for people doing high mileages to avoid having 2 or more services a year!

Just my opinion.

Also looking at your signature (which doesn't show on mobile) it says you have a 2011 car so your CR 2001 is obviously a typo and should be CR 2011 :)

Cheers. Battery changed and apart from an initial bit of strangeness with indicators all seems great. Just my glow plugs to change now. I've been trawling the site and it seems Beru and Bosch are the preferred. But there are all sorts of part numbers. I put my ref into the europarts website and these come up.

c5c129a15239c58c492c7d703796f8cb.jpg

Are they correct?(2005 MK2 PFL 1.9tdi elegance)

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no recommended time or mileage for replacing a chain. They are known as "for life" but to them the lifetime of the vehicle doesn't seem to extent beyond a few years and 100k miles.

It all comes down to how long do you want to leave it. You could have it and the tensioners inspected at some point to get an idea of the condition.

Phil

100k seems about right (presuming the mechanism has a constant lubrication).

To make a very simple analogy ... with bicycle chains : you'd monitor how well the individual links of the chain match the teeth of the pin wheels. When that match starts to get visibly off something is getting ready for replacement.

Yeah 100k seems like a nice number to do jobs like this. It seems when most people change the oil on their "sealed for life" manual and automatic gearboxes too (which I see you also have graemeakerby).

I would also recommend changing your gearbox oil at some point too. Although the tiptronic gearbox does not have a formal change interval I personally would change the oil. I've seen a few people start to develop problems with higher miles which an oil change usually cures so bit of preventive maintenance doesn't go amiss.

Thanks for the input Phil and RJVB. I just bought the car and it has done 61k miles. I am thinking that a gearbox oil change is more of a priority at this mileage, or do you think it is worth doing as the car is 8 years old?

At least I have a good 35-40k miles before the chain will need changing... I will look into an inspection.

As there is a chain as opposed to a cambelt on my 1.6 FSI what would you recommend regarding servicing? I can't seem to find a mileage or number of years recommended for replacement.

They should be a lifetime fitment but watch for rattle on start-up.  There's no point changing it if it hasn't stretched / worn. 

I have a chain in my 1.8tsi.  I've just reached 170,000km and it's giving no signs of stretch or wear.  It's an expensive job to do - down here they are quoting around AUD1300 for chain / guides / tensioners on the MK6 2.0TSI (which has an issue with stretched chains) but our parts & labour are a lot higher than the UK.

My advice is wait till you have a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am Raghu from Chennai, India. I own a 2007 model Octavia II which is called the Laura here because the Octavia I was still being sold then. It is the AT, L& K version.

The cost and effort of servicing and maintaining this vehicle is huge...in India terms.

Authorised service centres of Skoda are very few and have monopolies in the cities and towns where they exist. If there are two in a city, they are owned by the same person. In short, the Skoda guys have the customer by the short hair. In India, car companies are not required to retail sell their spares. So, even if you can get someone to do the work, you cant get the spares for the job. Besides, Skodas sell in such small numbers that no third party spare maker finds it worth the effort.

The result of all this is that the customer is severely shortchanged. The 60,000 kilometre ( not miles) service for this car would set me back by Rupees 55,000 which is about GBP 600. Is it ok? Also, for India, Skoda has lowered all the replacement schedules. Timing belts at 60,000 km i.e 38k miles, air filters every year, etc.

The timing belt change costs nearly 35000 INR. A similar sized Elantra or Accòrd's cambelt change is about 15000.

Equally bad is the 60k km reqt to change the DSG oil for Rupees 16000.

Now that I have concluded my rant, I need help in finding good quality cam belts and other spares for the car in the UK that can be ordered online. A relative travels frequently to the UK and can collect it for me.

Thanks in advance and regards.

Hi,

I am Raghu from Chennai, India. I own a 2007 model Octavia II which is called the Laura here because the Octavia I was still being sold then. It is the AT, L& K version.

The cost and effort of servicing and maintaining this vehicle is huge...in India terms.

Authorised service centres of Skoda are very few and have monopolies in the cities and towns where they exist. If there are two in a city, they are owned by the same person. In short, the Skoda guys have the customer by the short hair. In India, car companies are not required to retail sell their spares. So, even if you can get someone to do the work, you cant get the spares for the job. Besides, Skodas sell in such small numbers that no third party spare maker finds it worth the effort.

The result of all this is that the customer is severely shortchanged. The 60,000 kilometre ( not miles) service for this car would set me back by Rupees 55,000 which is about GBP 600. Is it ok? Also, for India, Skoda has lowered all the replacement schedules. Timing belts at 60,000 km i.e 38k miles, air filters every year, etc.

The timing belt change costs nearly 35000 INR. A similar sized Elantra or Accòrd's cambelt change is about 15000.

Equally bad is the 60k km reqt to change the DSG oil for Rupees 16000.

Now that I have concluded my rant, I need help in finding good quality cam belts and other spares for the car in the UK that can be ordered online. A relative travels frequently to the UK and can collect it for me.

Thanks in advance and regards.

Well the service parts are not that expensive really. Air and pollen filters are around £10. Oil filter about £6. Quantum long life oil £20 from eBay. I think £600 is way to much for the service for sure. You should source the parts from UK and indeed ask your friend to take them over. I think the full Cambelt kits are under £200 too. And the interval in the UK changed to 85k miles or 4 years too especially for my 1.9 2005. So maybe that's the reason.

Question is where will you get the car serviced. Oil and filters are not that complex. May need some tools that people don't own. If you have a warranty and have to go to the dealer you are stuck. Otherwise find a trusted mechanic who is willing.

If you can get the parts even pattern from the likes of gsf parts or euro car parts etc shipped over you are on to a winner.

If you want genuine its TPS with an account or the main dealer. Where does your friend live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking that if I change my oil every 7k miles or so, does it matter if I use 5w30 variable oil? I'm not on variable/long life - I tend to just change the oil every 12 months which is typically 7-8k for me.

I am a bit confused by the servicing schedules. I've got a 2012 2.0tdi Common Rail, with 110bhp.

I've just done 39000 miles so here in Poland it should be every 30000kms or 20000miles I guess. Or every two years.

I know in the first service all they did was check the car over and replace the oil and filter.

What more will the dealer do at the second service? The service book is in Polish so I don't understand all that much!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Škoda Octavia II Ambiente 1.6 TDI 77kw
model year 2011, production number 006641
6x airbag non so che options ho su la mia macchina come poso sapere ??

Guarda l'etichetta sotto il coperchio del baule con diverse sigle alfanumeriche a 3 caratteri - ogni sigla descrive una delle opzioni della TUA macchina. La legenda (significato) lo trovi in uno dei post di questo forum.

(Sorry guys for Italian - the member was asking which were the options installed in his car - I responded he had to read the sticker in the trunk and decode it using the list published elsewhere in this forum.)

Hi All,

Not sure if ill get shouted at for posting in someone elses feed but here goes,

i have a fog light out, after ages trying to get to it and changing the bulb it still isnt working?

any ideas? front drivers BTW?

• 1 month later...

If its a petrol you can use a vw 502 spec oil. 5w30 5w40 as long as its fully synthetic. You could use any 504 spec oil which I believe only comes as 5w30.

Diesels will differ but you can use 505 01 in pump duse engines and 505 00 in others. Cars with dpf should use 507.

• Like 1

If its a petrol you can use a vw 502 spec oil. 5w30 5w40 as long as its fully synthetic. You could use any 504 spec oil which I believe only comes as 5w30.

Diesels will differ but you can use 505 01 in pump duse engines and 505 00 in others. Cars with dpf should use 507.

Thanks it's a TFSI so a petrol

Found this

https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/engine-oils/Shell/Helix-Ultra-5W-30/p-OIL-189

Any good?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

5w30 i would say. You are in wales right so weather is probably similar to london if you are in the south.

Edited by UdayP

Hi All,

Not sure if ill get shouted at for posting in someone elses feed but here goes,

i have a fog light out, after ages trying to get to it and changing the bulb it still isnt working?

any ideas? front drivers BTW?

Have you checked the fuse? It might not have been the bulb. Have a look at the correct fuse and make sure its not blown.