Octavia Mk2 - Engines, DPFs, Cambelts, Oils, Brakes and Servicing Info

Okay, so changing the gearbox oil seems to be becoming  a more and more popular thing, expecially with the age range the Mk2 now covers, so can anyone give a definitive list on the sticky at the top of the thread about how much is required for the different engines at all? If not, just a heads up on my 2008 1.8 would be lovely! :D

I know mine was under 3 litres, something like 2.4l or 2.5l.

I think if you put your reg onto shell oil finder it will give you details on the capacity.

I put genuine gearbox oil from TPS at around 50k. The old one was dark, smelly and ran like water.

This is confusing regards the cam belts...I have a 2012 Octavia  and a 2013 Octavia, both 1.6 diesel. The 13 plate has a different engine than the 12 one..So many ideas and quotes on when to change the belts......how can I find out for certain what the mileage is when belts should be changed ? cheers people.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I get a slight pop or clunk.. well more of a low pop sound when once gear changed and it starts to engage. Just before it engages it makes a like pop sound. Sometimes its really smooth with no sound but most times not.

When i lift bonnet and push down on the engine or wobble it with force i can swear its dame noise. Inside the car
it sounds like its coming from under gearstick or the passenger footwell side. Really hard to explain. I feel like there is a gap between the gear change insted of it being flush or smooth.

But some times its fine. Gear box is proper smooth. Hang on.. you know when you life the clutch and you feel the next gear pick up. (Gear engage) sometimes its proper smooth but when it makes the pop sound (sound like you rub a squeaky clean window with ur finger and it makes that sound) and i feel a pull back (like braking)   before next gear is engaging  . Real hard to explain sorry.

Any ideas?

I know it is an old post, but just for information about the fuel filter.

I have recently bought Octavia 1.4 TSI which has full dealer servicing since new.

Car is 2011 on a 60 plate.

The fuel filter started to leak, from a small pinhole due to corrosion of the filter housing.

New filter was just under £18 and, if it is up on a 4 poster ramp, only takes about 10 minutes to change.

The info about changing it every 4 years, certainly sounds right to me.

Hi.. whats cause of a constant squeek from brake pads but disks and pads are new. . Squeaking for around 2 months now.

Please help..

Usually poor assembly technique, poor quality parts, incorrect pad material for application or not bedded in properly.

What brand and model pads / rotors are they?

Did you change the guide rubbers?  Were the sliders straight & in good condition

Did you clean the hub face?

Did you clean all the rails and parts of the caliper that touch the disc pad backing plates?

Did you apply a thin smear of lubricant to any of metal parts that the disc pad touches?

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten any fasteners (inc wheel bolts)?

Did you bed-in the pads / rotors as per manufacturers instructions or accepted bedding-in technique?

what about cooling radiator? I heard that after 6 years it gets corroded and need replaced

The radiator is run to failure / condition based monitoring.

I think you mean the "lifetime" coolant which in VW-speak means 5 years.  So yes, change the coolant after 5-7 years.

The radiator is run to failure / condition based monitoring.

I think you mean the "lifetime" coolant which in VW-speak means 5 years.  So yes, change the coolant after 5-7 years.

Mine has been in for 6 years. Still pink, still has effective cooling properties. No sign of gunk or corrosion in the liquid.

If you have corrosion, you should be aware of the water pump failing. I know on the 2.0TSI the water pump was placed parallel to the engine under the intake manifold and these have been known to fail as the propeller corrodes. I'm not sure what the setup is on the Diesels or 1.8TSI, but should be checked if your coolant is a colour other than pink. Obviously if it has oil that's another issue.

Yep. From what I understand it's highly likely that you'll be changing your cooling fluid anyway after 5-7 years because of the water pump springing a leak. Had to do that on my sept. 2009 1.6CR diesel last year.

• 1 month later...

Hi im looking advice on engine oil. I have skoda octavia 1.9tdi 105bhp bkc 2005. I wana know , can i use quantum platinum 5w40 fully synthetic. Im not sure whether it is fitted with dpf filter or not. Bcz it is mentioned on oil that dont use if your car fitted with dpf. I have asked local tps and they said yes bcz no dpf but skoda main dealer said no bcz car has dpf.i'm using car for business use so mechanic said you need to put 5w40 not 30?

Hi im looking advice on engine oil. I have skoda octavia 1.9tdi 105bhp bkc 2005. I wana know , can i use quantum platinum 5w40 fully synthetic. Im not sure whether it is fitted with dpf filter or not. Bcz it is mentioned on oil that dont use if your car fitted with dpf. I have asked local tps and they said yes bcz no dpf but skoda main dealer said no bcz car has dpf.i'm using car for business use so mechanic said you need to put 5w40 not 30?

It won't have a dpf. You need oil which meets either 505.01 as a minimum or 507.00.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys just remember that most of the consumables like air filter and pollen filter replacement really depend on where you drive.

Eg,

My octy A7 is just 6 months old and about 7500kms on the odometer but out of personal interest I changed both these filters and both were gutted to hell.

There was just no filtering element left it was completely covered in black soot.

So be aware of at least these parts..

Most brands want consumers to have a very high ROI so they intentionally extend service periods

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 30/05/2016 at 11:53, albertz10 said:

This is confusing regards the cam belts...I have a 2012 Octavia  and a 2013 Octavia, both 1.6 diesel. The 13 plate has a different engine than the 12 one..So many ideas and quotes on when to change the belts......how can I find out for certain what the mileage is when belts should be changed ? cheers people.

Just paid £489 for new cambelt and water pump on mine. 5 years old and heading towards 65k. I got a reminder from the dealer rather than doing it as a matter of routine.

Eventually done both cars at 100,000 miles. changing all pulleys and water pump etc. Total cost for both cars using genuine VAG parts £660 including labour. The pumps and belts that came off the cars both looked like new....

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I was going though the list of things recommended to change at various intervals.

I have a query about:  1. Coolant change intervals?. Specifically for 1.6 FSI octavia with G12 coolant. The log book/manual doesn't specify any intervals. It would really be helpful to hear if there are any views?

2. In terms of engine oil list would Shell helix ultra ECT C2/C3 0w 30 be suitable as well?. Thanks

On 2016-6-20 at 02:44, thelostboys said:

Hi. I get a slight pop or clunk.. well more of a low pop sound when once gear changed and it starts to engage. Just before it engages it makes a like pop sound. Sometimes its really smooth with no sound but most times not.

When i lift bonnet and push down on the engine or wobble it with force i can swear its dame noise. Inside the car
it sounds like its coming from under gearstick or the passenger footwell side. Really hard to explain. I feel like there is a gap between the gear change insted of it being flush or smooth.

But some times its fine. Gear box is proper smooth. Hang on.. you know when you life the clutch and you feel the next gear pick up. (Gear engage) sometimes its proper smooth but when it makes the pop sound (sound like you rub a squeaky clean window with ur finger and it makes that sound) and i feel a pull back (like braking)   before next gear is engaging  . Real hard to explain sorry.

Any ideas?

Hi, I have the similar problem in my 1.6 fsi about hearing a sound when gear is changed particularly in gear 1 and 2 on a slow speed. The noise is like a click/for a second?. Do you know what was the problem

2 hours ago, hifiboy said:

Hi, I have the similar problem in my 1.6 fsi about hearing a sound when gear is changed particularly in gear 1 and 2 on a slow speed. The noise is like a click/for a second?. Do you know what was the problem

No mate sorry. Still happens. And it happens in low speed in first and second gears. Been a year now and cars still fantastic so don't worry too much about it. Double check your mounts etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just going over the service history of a second hand vRS, does this seem about rite to you?

• Car bought new Dec 2012

• Serviced carried out in Belgium at 18,000 miles (owner must have had a place over there)

• Traded in at original dealer and had a Used Car MPC at 18,500 miles in Feb 2014

• Brake fluid done at 40,000 miles in Mar 2016

• Oil change at 48,000 miles in Mar 2017

All work carried out between 2 Skoda main dealerships under the same franchise in Oxford bar the first service carried out abroad.

Edited by CookieMonster87

48 minutes ago, CookieMonster87 said:

I'm just going over the service history of a second hand vRS, does this seem about rite to you?

• Car bought new Dec 2012

• Serviced carried out in Belgium at 18,000 miles (owner must have had a place over there)

• Traded in at original dealer and had a Used Car MPC at 18,500 miles in Feb 2014

• Brake fluid done at 40,000 miles in Mar 2016

• Oil change at 48,000 miles in Mar 2017

All work carried out between 2 Skoda main dealerships under the same franchise in Oxford bar the first service carried out abroad.

30k miles between services seems a lot

I thought this also, but looking at the particulars it does say the longlife oil is suitable for 30k miles.

I'd like to think that having been serviced at a main dealer they would have pointed out any requirements for an oil change.

I recall (from looking at the service receipts) more work being carried out other than the brake fluid and oil change at the respective intervals but I believe these are the only points noted on the system at Skoda UK.

Filters etc haven't seem to have been recorded but I'm no car mechanic so wouldn't know what data they input/is relevant.

Engine Oil Change:

Petrol

Long Life / Variable - Up to every 30,000 Km (18,641 Miles) or 2 years maximum

Time & Distance - Every 15,000 Km (9,320 Miles) or 1 year

Diesel

Long Life / Variable - Up to every 50,000 Km (31,068 Miles) or 2 years maximum

Thats from the first post.