WaveyDavey's Superb Twindoor

WaveyDavey

Washed, Clayed, Polished, waxed & sealed her today.... Took about 8hrs in the end!!!! Bloody big cars.... Gimme a Furby vRS any day. ;)

Also cleaned and sealed the seats last night before today's cleaning started.

9099D159-5639-48D3-A41B-493527DF0AC7_zps

C61CE95F-20C8-4B86-AF30-94994B2A0E1E_zps

9EB3BE0D-C38B-4DE9-80D3-8870F6AA89C9_zps

1CB6D2AD-755E-4018-AEB6-38CBC256312A_zps

B64C0F5B-2C9F-4820-9CC6-A9FBCEDB7AF2_zps

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the Columbus maps to v11 this week which are the maps released by VAG last month. Noticed some changes in this area have now been added to the maps.

Also had a brainwave last night at work which i tried out this morning with regard getting audible warnings of the speed camera POIs i have on the Columbus. Glad to say it works too so i now have audible warnings when i'm approaching speed cameras. Not a simple work around but it does indeed work great. :)

It basically involves using the PocketGPSWorld Cameralert app on my iphone (69p i think in the Apple app store). You set this up to notify when approaching speed cameras and to send this notification via a bluetooth connection. Then each time you get in the car and want to have an audible warning of speed cameras when you are using the satnav you just start the cameralert app on your phone and set your route in the Columbus. This means that each time you approach a camera you see it on the screen as a POI icon and the app on the phone sends an audible alert over bluetooth to the Columbus which plays it as though you have an incoming phone call. It does means the screen on the Columbus goes to the phone screen for the couple of seconds it is playing the alert but it then goes back to the map screen to continue navigation and the visual indication of the icon on the map.

As i say it's not a perfect way but it does work the same as a normal audible warning would but just via the phone and the bluetooth connection.

I'm going to give it a full trial on Monday when i head up to Leeds to get the tracking checked so will use the Columbus satnav rather than my TomTom app on my phone and will see how it goes when used in anger. :)

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 2

Had a breakdown on the M1 last night on my way back home from Bedford. I'd been down to collect a spare wheel and toolkit i found on ebay. (Only £70 and it's only been used once for about 20 miles) so with the fuel cost of around £30 it meant i was still making a good saving over getting one from the dealers.

Anyway at about 7pm and just as i was coming off the M1 down near Bedford the car went into limp mode and the glow plug / coil light was flashing. I pulled up at the junction turned off the ignition and everything cleared and the car drove as normal. So chatted with the guy for half an hour then went and got a bite to eat before then setting off back up to Sheffield at around half eight. Ten o'clock-ish the same thing happens again so i pull up on the hard shoulder and the same turn off turn on does the trick again..... Then 15 minutes later same again.... This time i pulled off the motorway and sat with the ignition off for maybe 5 or 10 minutes before trying once more to get home (I was about 30 mins from home by now). Five minutes later and same again but now with the engine management light lit also so this time i managed to get off the motorway and pulled up on a dual carriageway.

Phoned the Skoda Assistance number at around half ten and got told someone would be out but it may be as long as two hours so i wait and wait and wait and wait. It gets to 1am and still no sign so i call them again only to be told "Yes we have your call down as tasked to a patrol for 9:30-11am"!!!!! I went on a little rant at this stage and they went away and came back again saying that they had rebooked my call and someone would be with me by 3am!!! Another rant about not waiting nearly 5 hours for recovery and a supervisor/manager comes on the line with apology after apology and says they have a relay/recover truck in the area and the plan is to now just get me and the car home for the night and for a VW patrol to then come out to my home the next morning.

Eventually at around 2am the AA Relay truck arrives and the driver again is all apologetic as he had been delayed because he was querying the call as they had it down as taking me to a place of safety even though the car was classed as already being in a place of safety as i was off the side of a dual carriageway etc.... Turns out the control had not changed it to say that i was to be taken home etc.... Eventually the truck dropped me and the car off at home at around 3am (Six and a half hours after setting off!!!).

So the VW Group Assistance patrol came today at lunchtime and hooked the car up to the diagnostics laptop and it looks to be a failed EGR valve so he booked it in with the local dealers and then he followed me down there with me plodding along in limp mode. Left the car there and ther VW guy then sorted out a hire car from VW Group which arrived at about half four today (14-plate petrol Fabia). Looks like it'll be covered under the Skoda approved used car warranty.... Well that's what the patrol guy said and what he told the dealers who seemed to agree.

Anyway rant over..... I feel better now. :)

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 1

Dave, 

I'm sorry for your eventful evening! It's good to know it's being fixed. But I can imagine something like that could have snowballed into stopping you from getting to work or anything the next day...

Human errors eh!? 

Nightmare experience there - but glad it is being sorted and under warranty cover too.

Had a similar thing with SWMBO's Seat Exeo when the gearbox played up recently.

The call centre "said" one thing - but after waiting with the car 2 hours and no rescue;

called them back and it had been placed as first call next day for the recovery truck!  :swear:

Totally bizarre and no excuse at all.

Spoke to dealers this afternoon. They are ordering parts which will be here tomorrow or possibly Friday and will be doing the work next Monday or Tuesday. They are also speaking with VW Group assist to arrange the extension of my 48hr hire car to cover through till the work has been done next week.

So looks like i'll be attending the national meet in my new little 1.2 Fabia SE. :) Bit gutted i won't be able to make it in my car though.

Cheers

Dave.

The VW Assist guy said it was the EGR valve that had failed. He also told the dealers that too. To be honest i didn't ask when i spoke to them today. I'm wondering if the previous owner has driven the car like a granny for three years without ever giving it a bit of stick and therefore caused a premature failure due to it just getting more and more clogged up with crap.

Cheers

Dave.

Well as the people at the meet yesterday will know Bickertons stepped up to the plate and gave me a surprise phone call on Friday lunchtime to say they had got the work done on the car so that I could take it to its first Brisky meet. I thought i'd keep it to myself though and surprise everybody when we turned up in it.

I think they were trying to make up for Skoda Assistance/The AA's botch up earlier in the week and their customer service manager has also taken my complaint with Skoda Assistance up on my behalf so as to get it further up the management chain within Skoda and Skoda Assistance as the dealership have also had another customer who had issues with the recovery of their car within a week of myself. Their efforts and help with all this has been very much appreciated and they'll be getting a glowing review in the dealers section on here.

Anyway it meant i got to do a couple more jobs before yesterday.

The original inflation kit and foam insert has been removed and the spare wheel and toolkit i travelled down to Bedford to collect have been fitted instead. I had a warning triangle which I'd had for years but it didn't fit in the correct space in the boot so I ordered the actual Skoda one off eBay. This fits perfectly in the space provided under the boot opening. I also got a set of the MTec super white bulbs to replace the standard foglight bulbs and to try and match the look of the xenons a bit more when the cornering lights are used. (Thanks to JakeBlade)

I also got a Pipercross panel filter off eBay which was new and sealed for £20 so I've fitted this to see how it goes. (I know they are a Marmite thing but at only a few quid more than a paper filter i thought I'd give this one a try for a few months). At the time i started watching the filter on eBay it was with the intention of it going with the DTUK box. I've now decided to put that on hold for a while and see how the car goes without any mods to the engine what with all the excitement this last week or so. I've also come to appreciate the fact the CR140 performs well enough for me as is bearing in mind 90% of the time it's just me in the car on the motorway. Once the warranty is up next June i may change my mind though.

I ordered a couple more items last night which should be arriving this week..... A set of Skoda rear window shades and some Millers Diesel Power Eco Max.

I also realised my earlier post regarding the work around for the audible alert of the speed cameras may not be much use to people who don't already have the CamerAlert app as it is currently unavailable to buy in the Apple App Store but I think it is still available for Android phones so hopefully its of some use to some people still. :)

And a couple of pics of her at the National meet yesterday.....

14633690589_7a617fc231_b.jpg

DSC_5208 by WaveyDavey13, on Flickr

14797357406_f539a1aa18_b.jpg

DSC_5250 by WaveyDavey13, on Flickr

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 1

Will do Jake. Just need to go out in the dark now. :) had millers sport 4 in the past with my old vRS but never used the new stuff so will see how it goes with the CR.

Cheers Adz it was a quick 5 minute job on the iPad would you believe!!! :)

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 1

Yeah it's an app i have on there.... Send me a pic and i'll do you something similar if you like. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

ok cheers for that dave ill sort a pic i like out and ill send it to you.

can you pm me your email address please

cheers adam

The Skoda rear window shades arrived today. Fitted them both in a few minutes and am pleased with the results. Hopefully the little 'un will get on ok with them when he's in the back of the car. :)

37E8E854-6A62-48D7-AB32-C62B7E1ED411_zps

8174BF70-1A2E-408F-8664-C1E871503BB0_zps

C229DE67-4756-479E-B78D-B1FEAEB10735_zps

A05B5E99-A4CC-46CA-B25B-B830B53F361C_zps

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 2

The Skoda rear window shades arrived today. Fitted them both in a few minutes and am pleased with the results. Hopefully the little 'un will get on ok with them when he's in the back of the car. :)

37E8E854-6A62-48D7-AB32-C62B7E1ED411_zps

8174BF70-1A2E-408F-8664-C1E871503BB0_zps

C229DE67-4756-479E-B78D-B1FEAEB10735_zps

A05B5E99-A4CC-46CA-B25B-B830B53F361C_zps

Cheers

Dave.

Welcome to the club...;)

• Like 1

Well showed the new darkened look to the car to the mrs this evening and she's impressed with them so looks like i'm not in the bad books for buying them. :)

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 1