WaveyDavey's Superb Twindoor

WaveyDavey

I think the house was feeling a little bit left out what with the Superb's LED bulb upgrades so....... Six 50w halogens replaced with six 7w LED spotlights. And a spare just in case. :) :) :)

Cheers

Dave.

post-9093-0-64725300-1407577946_thumb.jpg

Well an update on the bulb changes......

Used the cornering lights for the first time since changing to the MTec bulbs and have to say i'm very underwhelmed. :( Where as with the OEM bulbs i could tell they were coming on as i turn into junctions with the MTec bulbs i can't tell when the nearside bulb comes on and i can only just tell when the offside bulb is on. As i do use my front fogs a few times a year with the roads and weird times i drive to and from work i need them to be as good as possible so i'm going to swap back to the OEM bulbs when i get 5 minutes and it's not raining.

Also one of the "10 for a fiver" LEDs i have in the sidelights has failed (nearside one). I ordered a set of ten myself last week (The two i have were given to me by Damo) so will replace it when mine arrive. Unsure if it was just a dodgy one i used or if they don't have a long lifespan. Strangely enough though i haven't had a bulb fail warning at all but the bulb definately isn't lit..... I'm assuming this is normal when a CANBUS  LED bulb goes???

Cheers

Dave.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!! Sorry mate, and after I recommended them to you as well. See if you can return them, especially as they claim to be almost twice as bright as normal bulbs. I do notice them when they come on in my car - like an extension of the xenons low down in front of the car.

Yeah, unlikely you'd get an error with those LEDs as they are full of resistors to trick the canbus.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

lol no worries Jake.... I thought they would be better myself but having now looked at some reviews elsewhere they are the same as others like Philips BlueVision etc..... in that the trade off for the whiter light is a less bright beam etc....

I think they only cost £12 or so delivered so it's not the end of the world..... But i'll pop the bill into the post to ya. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

Updated the Columbus maps to v11 this week which are the maps released by VAG last month. Noticed some changes in this area have now been added to the maps.

Where did you get V11 from out of interest?

Was looking at Night Breakers but they don't come in H8 which is what the front fogs are.

Cheers

Dave.

Donnt go for the Nightbreaker, take H11 CoolBlue Intense rather.

H8 is a 35W bulb, H11 is a 55W bulb, but it will fit in fog lamp housing and work very fine...

For comparison, O2 vRS FL is using in fog lights HB4 type of bulb. I fitted there also CoolBlue Intense HB4 (60W), and work 'xenon white':)

Donnt go for the Nightbreaker, take H11 CoolBlue Intense rather.

H8 is a 35W bulb, H11 is a 55W bulb, but it will fit in fog lamp housing and work very fine...

For comparison, O2 vRS FL is using in fog lights HB4 type of bulb. I fitted there also CoolBlue Intense HB4 (60W), and work 'xenon white':)

I thought you had to file the fitting down on an H11 bulb to get it to fit in an H8 housing??? That's what i've seen online before. I'll settle for the OEM bulbs i think rather than messing about filing H11s down to fit.

Cheers

Dave.

See here:

post-62289-14078383553232_thumb.jpg

Cut 1mm of edge (just edge) on a bulb housing (only one of the three metal holders) with cut-pliers and you can fit it faced down, no problem about that, without damaging bulb itself or housing that could not be used sgain (or in H11 or H8 lamp housing).

Cheers

• Like 1

Today's little job...... Updated the Columbus boot screen to the current OEM screen for the new look. Only the steering wheel badge and keyfob badges to go now. :)

5C7097E1-9B80-47A8-9E2D-8A8D22DEBB15_zps

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This weekend's update is the enabling of HHC and XDS by Simeon at the South Yorkshire meet yesterday. Living in a city like Sheffield i cannot emphasize enough how good the HHC is and it really should be standard on the DSG at least.... I suppose the pull of still charging big bucks for what is a quick 2 minute job is too great hence it isn't standard.

Tried out the HHC a couple of times so far both going forwards and in reverse and it works an absolute treat. Not had a chance to test out the XDS as yet though so that will come later.

Many thanks again to Simeon for enbling it and i can understand why i think he put it up there on the list of best mods done to his car. :)

• Like 2