Recommended bike rack for Octavia, and tow bar

Hi.I'm looking to get a rear mounted cycle rack for my Octavia. I'm not a fan of the purely strap connected ones, and my previous strap only connected one I used on my previous car (Fabia) doesn't connect as 'happily' to my Octavia.

I'm therefore looking to get a tow bar connected so that I can get a bike rack that clips solidly onto a tow bar.

I'm just wondiering if anyone can recommend any particular cycle racks for this car that they've had experience of?

I'd also be interested to know whether there's any tow bars that can be got that do not confuse the parking sensors given it's a permanent fixture and I really don't want to have to turn off my sensors when I'm not using my rack.

Thanks in advance

I have a towsure bike rack that the bike wheels sit on and the fix onto an upright to hold them in place, plus it tilts so you can still open boot with it on

Really nice bit of kit and it folds up when not in use so makes it easy to store, it comes with like a duel connector that has a 7 and 13 pin plug on thats abit naff but works ok on my xc90,

One thing though it is quiet heavy to carry about but once lifted onto towball you can hold it with one hand and lock locking bar down easy enough with other hand then open it all out to put bikes on

https://www.towsure.com/images/products/9478/detail/cyclemaster-elite-2-folding-cycle-carrier.jpg

This is the one i have but looking on there website its not listed anymore

I have a thule 9403, never had an issue and its been on many long distance trips with 3 x heavy duty XC MTB's, it also tilts which means you can get access to the boot when the bar is in place, handy when you suddenly realise  you left something important in the boot before loading up!

Towbar, i have a westfalia fixed towbar which is not seen by the parking sensors, you can get CAN-BUS compatible wiring which will allow the car to detect and turn off the rear sensors when devices are connected.. or you can just go for a cheapre bypass relay and ignore the sensors going crazy while you reverse!

As above but the Thule 9502, tilts and carries two bikes. Cant fault it, picked it up recently for £140 including a small cable lock and delivered to my door.

Thanks all for your replies, I called my local dealership this morning, they originally quoted me £290 for installtion of a detatchable tow ball,and £100 for one that wasn't - they then amended the quote to £530 just for the fixed tow ball - suffice to say it won't be going to them for that kind of charge! That's more than the actual value of the cycle so certainly not what I'd be prepared to pay.

I've seen the Thule and it looks great, which is the reason why I'm looking at getting a towbar but I'll ring around tomorrow for the towball installatoin as £530 just for a fixed towbar sounds a bit far fetched.

if you feel brave. you can always fit it yourself.. involved a bit of cuting if the bumper is not already cut and removal/replacement of the crash bar behind the bumper.. 

electrics, depends which route you go can be easy with the bypass.

Hi all, after looking at the cost of getting a tow bar, a bike rack and a lighting board I'm wondering whether I'm just best finding a suitable high rear mounted one that doesn't need a tow bar and doesn't get in the way of the number plate.

I used a Mount Blanc one on my previous car (Fabia)  but it's not a stable fit for the Octavia though so I'd be interested if anyone knows of a high rear mounted bike rack that works with Octavia 2010 ? (or is a classed as saloon but certainly not an estate)

Big thanks in advance

I've got a Mont Blanc high lift boot mounted bike rack (3 bikes) for an Octavia estate (not sure what you mean by saloon).

Although with a change of fitting kit (c.£16) it will fit almost any suitable car.

Very happy with it but may be selling it soon as going to go down the towbar mounted carrier route on my next car.

Hi, I'm quite short and not that strong and have a 15kg bike so roofbars aren't really a solution that's best suited to be honest.

Ie. the shape, it's not an estate so not sure if my car is therefore either hatchback, or possibly 'saloon?'

Problem I have with the Mont Blanc is that I can get it to connect to the top of the boot lid by threading the straps with plastic bumbells at the end, but I can't see a secure way of fastening the bottom of the fully plastic bumper. Maybe possible to trap the bottom ones in the boot itself instead? Doesn't sound ideal really.

Nah, i have the same issue, short and a 30LB+ bike :(

it will be the hatchback/saloon etc, same as me!

I did a ton of looking into it when i got my car, ended up going with the towbar as its secure, and dead easy to throw the bikes onto, secure and keeps the inside of the car cleanr, while my friends are taking wheels off to put them inside their car etc.

With the weight of that bike, i really would not be recommending using anything but towbar.. if that comes off its going to make a mess out not only yours, but someone else's car :|

I have a detachable tow bar and it was about £300 fitted with electrics from an independent (although it doesn't switch the rear parking sensors off when connected which is a little irritating but not a huge issue), when its removed you wouldn't know the car even has a tow bar.

I use a sitter three bike rack and its great, easy to get on and off once you get the hang of it and it can be tilted to open the boot, its this one i have http://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter-towbar-mounted-3-bike-cycle-carrier-zx300.html

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?type=summ&emulate=bikegen&query=maxxraxx

2 - 5* bikes, different offsets and sides for different sorts of cars/electrics, adaptors for full boingies/ladies bikes with no traditional top tube etc. All in, a no brainer. Easy to use and sturdy to boot.

* watch your nose weight...

I have a Thule 9708 hang on 4 bike rack  that fits ont eh tow bar and it's been pretty good on the back of our estate including trips across the Irish Sea to the relatives.  Works well and once loaded upo is nice and stable with no need to lift the bikes up high.  On initial use it did seem to wobble a bit but I've added a couple of straps to it at the sides that hook inside the estate lid with dumbells that stabilise this.

In theory it can be folded down with the bikes on but you'd have to be strong to do it.

It does fold up when not in use though and can then be folded flat down to open the boot (when it's loaded I get into the boot from the back seats by retracting the load cover on the estate).

gallery_93_1405_39389.jpg

gallery_93_1405_52949.jpg

gallery_93_1405_42164.jpg

That looks like it holds the bikes too close to the car for comfort!

Nah - the frame of the carrier holds them away and a strap that goes wound them and through the wheels makes sure the wheels don;t touch the back of the car (I've done hundreds of miles like that with no such issues).  bTHere is no way they can touch the car - and it they were further away then thereis the issue of extra bending load on the towbar and suspension drop at the back so you want them as close as possible!

Thanks all for your replies, I called my local dealership this morning, they originally quoted me £290 for installtion of a detatchable tow ball,and £100 for one that wasn't - they then amended the quote to £530 just for the fixed tow ball - suffice to say it won't be going to them for that kind of charge! That's more than the actual value of the cycle so certainly not what I'd be prepared to pay.

I've seen the Thule and it looks great, which is the reason why I'm looking at getting a towbar but I'll ring around tomorrow for the towball installatoin as £530 just for a fixed towbar sounds a bit far fetched.

£530 for a fixed is way over the top. I am looking at replacing my car with a Yeti and have been quoted £580 for a detachable and £390 for a fixed swan neck with dedicated electrics coded to the car, pity that is down in Hampshire but I'm sure you can get a suitable quote near to you.

Ian

Not for a bike but I have a Thule Easy Base on mine, which can also be used to carry upto 3 bikes with the adaption mounts.

I use mine for dump runs (so I don't get the car dirty inside) and holiday to take a wheelchair and other bits when the boot is full.

On the fabia I had a bike rack fitted to the roof bars, again not tall and heavy bike makes it a hassle but better than a clamp on the rear rack.