'03 Fabia VRS - Which steering rack?

Hi guys,

I am currently needing to replace the steering rack on my 2003 (53) Fabia VRS.

I have spoken to my local motor factors to try and order a rack but am being told that there are two different types (one with a Brown plug and one with a White plug(?)).

I have poked around on my car but cannot see any coloured plug to help me!

Can anyone here please advise me as to which rack i need for my car (or the correct part number).

Many thanks in advance!

First way of identifying manufacturer of steering system, I know that you have a VRS, but if you can reach down to the power steering fluid reservoir and remove the cap, have a look at it, if the green cap has vertical "grip" "ribs" on it the system will be a TRW system, if you look closely at the cap you should see TRW written on it as well as other "stuff".  That should be good enough because the motor factor is only asking if it is a TRW system or a Koya(?) system, I've forgotten the other supplier to VAG.

The plug they are refering to is on the steering angle sensor. Pop your head down by your off side front wheel and look for where the rack goes through the bulkhead into the car. You will see the plug there white plug is small and not removable the brown one is bigger and removable from the sensor. Hth

• 2 years later...

Old thread........ I know but just so people know there's more than 1 type of trw racks im 100% sure as i checked the cap on mine it said trw 2004 fabia vrs and the one i took off a donor car said trw aswell, so i went ahead and stripped both off only to find out my one has a removable brown plug and the other one has a non removable white plug!!!!!! Again both were TRW racks! 

I didnt check the plugs beforehand as i didnt know where to look

10 hours ago, Jayramm said:

Old thread........ I know but just so people know there's more than 1 type of trw racks im 100% sure as i checked the cap on mine it said trw 2004 fabia vrs and the one i took off a donor car said trw aswell, so i went ahead and stripped both off only to find out my one has a removable brown plug and the other one has a non removable white plug!!!!!! Again both were TRW racks! 

I didnt check the plugs beforehand as i didnt know where to look

According to this page. Up to and including chassis number 6Y-3-731254, RHD cars used angle sensor part number 6Q2423291A, which is the captive cable version.

From chassis number 6Y-3-731255 they moved to the disconnectable sensor, part number 6Q0423445.

I don't think these sensors are interchangeable on a given rack, even if you had the adaptor loom referred to as item 18B on that page. Tech1e referred to a difference in the sensor and mechanical parts on the rack that it interacts with, in a post not long ago.

In case you want to work out your chassis number from your VIN, to look like the format shown in ETKA, you just replace the 9th and 11th characters of the whole 17-digit VIN with dashes, and then cut off the bit before the 6Y.