an electric car you might want to buy and be able to?

Aspman

Mazda Xedos 9? Electric isn't for me but all power to those who can use the tech. Still waiting for fuel cells

Saw a BMW i3 today. Fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Looks abominable

Edited by sparks03
  • Like 1

The tesla charging station sounds like a really good idea to be fair. I'd be happy to stop for half an hour for a coffee and recharge my car every 170 miles. Once they gain in popularity (which they are doing very quickly), I'm sure they'll be everywhere.

Until on demand Hydrogen power comes along, I think GM have the right idea with the Volt/Ampera.

You need on board power generation to make electric work for the masses

Test drove the Ampera for four days and while the idea is great, in practice it's flawwed.

It'll only go 30 odd miles on a charge then does 40mpg.

So in short, you can't cover enough cheap miles to make it pay.

A half decent diesel is way more cost effective.

I quite like the idea of car lending.

You do most of your miles in your EV and when needed you borrow a regular car.

Until the charging nextwork is up to scratch, it does exactly what you need.

I know someone who has a Tesla Roadster in the US and the package works great for him. I say package because it is the THC (Tesla Home Charger) and the range that makes it a no hassle solution. A full charge from a standard US outlet takes 2 days but the THC takes under 4hrs. His commute is 26 miles each way but the range of 200+ miles means that he is not limited to his commute and doesn't need to find a charger.

Test drove the Ampera for four days and while the idea is great, in practice it's flawwed.

I liked the idea of an Ampera, could have got it on budget, the battery should have lasted my daily journey in town. Would have been almost perfect.

It's a shame the interior is soo cheap feeling, and that my nearest garage to test drive or service it is like 50 miles away.

Vauxhall have got a hit on their hands, it's just a shame most dealers haven't got a clue about them. And vauxhall make no effort to advertise them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked the idea of an Ampera, could have got it on budget, the battery should have lasted my daily journey in town. Would have been almost perfect

Other than the fact they were £30k+ to buy at the time.

I had a great conversation with an Ampera buyer.

He told me the fuel savings had paid for the depreciation over two years.

So we worked it out.

He also had a commute just able to be covered by the electric range.

In the time he'd saved £1,800 on fuel the car had lost £12,000.

• Like 1

i3 is not a looker, that is granted. i8 is actually rather pretty, bar the rear quarters, bit bizzare. Except from Tesla all EV cars are hideous, Nissan Leaf the ugliest car ever produced IMHO.

I was more referring to technology, price (£30k) range and performance when I wrote about i3. I've been seeing one in the flash around my neck of woods and it is horribly ugly little thing I am afrraid...

The Leaf isn't the ugliest thing every, just very very boring. Better looking that a Nissan Puke anyway.

I wonder what the 200 mile range is in the real world? In the winter with the heater and lights on 200 could be 150 or less. 

I was talking to a customer the other day who was telling me that his colleague had just taken delivery of a BMW i3, he took a few of them out in the car, but had to turn off the air con as the battery charges was dropping rapidly. 

I wonder what the 200 mile range is in the real world? In the winter with the heater and lights on 200 could be 150 or less...

The Tesla Roadster quotes 240+ for it's range. A friend of mine who has one gets just over 200 in the heat of summer and a little under 190 in the coldest PNW winter. He makes it clear that he just "drives it like any other car" - no Eco drive. The Roadster is old(ish) technology so I would hope the i3 would do better.

I quite like the idea of car lending.

You do most of your miles in your EV and when needed you borrow a regular car.

Until the charging nextwork is up to scratch, it does exactly what you need.

I did say the idea rather than the car itself.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2014 at 15:03, M12MKD said:

For the S it is £50k (as in the Westfield showroom plus options). Yet still in the USA its $69k less US green tax break. Which again is under £40k!

Model III is at the price I said above.

I think you'll only get a pre-owned one at that price  add another £20k and your getting there  p.s.  just seen the date so OK take this as an update

Edited by cheshire_cat
addition
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cheshire_cat said:

I think you'll only get a pre-owned one at that price  add another £20k and your getting there  p.s.  just seen the date so OK take this as an update

Yep, in 2014 it was about £51k for the base model and no options (with Gov grant). ;)

Funny enough I was just thinking about Tesla again today. And in fact if I took the plunge and got one, with the "free" (upto 400kwh a year) charging points, it probably wouldn't cost that much more that a quickish petrol car. 

20 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

I guess this will be my next.                                   

IMG_1719.PNG

Is this the new Skoda Rapid E?

• Like 1

lol not.

A spare or replacement battery for my new Push Bike costs £710 & the battery takes about 700 charges, hopefully that is 30,000 miles between replacements.

I should have bought a used E-Up!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 20:28, Awayoffski said:

lol not.

A spare or replacement battery for my new Push Bike costs £710 & the battery takes about 700 charges, hopefully that is 30,000 miles between replacements.

I should have bought a used E-Up!

little off topic but what's the spec?