Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

Things have been slow lately. Had other cars and motorbikes to sort out and sell! Will post an update soon, but it's more destruction than reconstruction at the minute. Having to get stuff re-powdercoated again, after a mere 3 months out in winter. Pretty miffed off!

Also had to send the block back to be re-coated, as the rust started to come back through. Will update soon!! It's definitely still happening, but taking a bit longer than initially thought. Life gets in the way! :D

On 2017-2-6 at 06:50, stevobeavo said:

Very nice up dates. The taroxs should clear fine. Compared to the brembo there's quite slim, do you know which model you've gone for? 

If only I wasn't planning for a wedding I'd have had the brembos off you for my car if you were selling them. 

I've also been running the NS-2R's for about a year now, there not bad wet but do need a bit of heat in them to really feel the grip benefits, some I found quite hard to do on the road. 

And in regards to the wheel blades if it's the type I'm thinking of that hammer in between the wheel and tyre then make sure it correctly installed. A girl at work had them for a few months then one detached itself and destroyed the door and wing.

Sorry pal, only just realised this was here!

The Tarox's are the ones off Kev's (coskev) old motor. They're the B30 caliper. I did a swap with my Brembo's and some cash for them.

Never planning on using the car in the rain again if I can help it to be honest (as the next post will explain why!). So hopefully the NS-2R's will be great for what I'll use the car for.

The Rimblades are a stick on variant. Hopefully shouldn't have any issues. I'll make sure they're stuck on alright!! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me it's not through not wanting to work on it!! Just had a lot of other stuff going on the last so many months - plus a big job change to boot. No excuse I know :D

End of summer is definitely going to be a tough target to hit, as much as I'd love to get it up and going by then. I think end of the year would be a more realistic guess, as there's bloody loads to do. That's under the assumption it all runs as expected too!!

Lads at Camcoat in Warrington shall take the credit for the pistons! Seems I started a trend with them in our little group chat - fitted them to Joe's first!

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 1

Had some problems today - no torque specs were in the box for the rods, and have a problem with the coating on the main & big end bearings. Pretty miffed, as was looking forward to building the bottom end up today. So... probably stopped in my tracks until at least next weekend now :angry:

So whilst I was trying not to get more wound up, I stripped down the oil pump to check for wear. Few little marks in the gear, but nothing at all to be even remotely concerned with. Pumps on these engines age so well!

Pump stripped and cleaned...

36986073091_ceb451b4bc_z.jpg

All back together...

36939091316_416e5c19e2_z.jpg

I'll be buying a new pickup pipe seal, chain and sprocket from TPS soon. I'll also be ordering a few other parts that I need to move things along. Couple of bits (and many fasteners!) will be off to the ceramic coaters too!

May get the rear beam off tomorrow if I'm feeling energetic...

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

Managed to get the beam off today. Certainly going to be a 2-man job to get it back on with no marks to the powdercoat! It's in a bit of a state, having been on since 2006...

37128030775_8e1696508a_z.jpg

I need to get the new bearings back off and each stub axle before it goes off for powercoating. Also, the beam bushes have to come out. Can't say I'm looking forward to that, as they're solid! I think the blowtorch will be happening to help get them out.

I didn't get the beam off in the last big build a couple of years back, so may as well do this now. Fuel tank will be coming off so I can finish off the underseal that I didn't do all of last time.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not a spectacular update by any means, but just to keep up-to-date!...

Car parts always come along at the wrong moment! These came up and couldn't leave them there...

38305486022_7c6e590ef7_z.jpg

38305487292_5459bdd456_z.jpg

Excuse the shaky handed poor 2nd picture!

They are GP Race Pro lightweight seats. Hadn't heard of the brand before, but did a bit of research on the net and they're not cheap. Got them and some TRS 4 point harnesses for an absolute steal! They're not very old and in excellent condition apart from needing a clean. They were local too, so snapped them up quickly! Need side-mounts, a single runner and base plates yet though. The guy who is doing my cage will also make some custom subframes at the same time. Once the car is back on its wheels, the shell will be trailed down there.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...