Problems insuring Black Edition Octavia

Hi

Bought a Octavia Black Edition Estate 2.0 that should be delivered by the end of the month. Im having difficulty getting Insurance quotes for this as it is only on one or two insurance databases.

The ones that I have seen have been very expensive.

Any ideas? I dont want to put it down as a normal SE  in case I need to claim.

Thanks

• Like 1

Its a new model, which is always a pain to sort out until the car model is listed on the insurance providers database,

it is in effect an SE with factory options, so until they get their act together that maybe the route you'll have to take. When you get the V5 through it will just say SE anyway.

I had a similar problem about 4 years ago with a limited edition motorbike.

It was a Suzuki GSX-R 750 TT Edition, it didn't appear in any database, so all the insurance companies did was insure it as a normal GSX-R 750, with a slight increase in premium for "custom paintwork".

In your case I'd just say it's an SE & be done with it. I wouldn't worry about it unless of course you know you ARE going to claim!  :ph34r:  :bandit:

I'm just curious, how much do you pay on your insurance in uk?

I just heard that I could take any insurance company from any country due to some eu laws..

I'm from Sweden and I pay £1400 / year for my new vrs

Edited by Frallan

I'm just curious, how much do you pay on you insurance in uk?

I just heard that I could take any insurance company from any country due to some eu laws..

I'm from Sweden and I pay £1400 / year for my new vrs

Good job I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that, or you would owe me a new keyboard...  I'll be paying £270/year for my new vRS.

Oh, and whilst the EU law may allow you to have insurance cover from any company in any EU country - you still have to find a company who will insure your car in a different country.  I'm pretty sure no UK insurers, for example, will do that.

Its a new model, which is always a pain to sort out until the car model is listed on the insurance providers database,

it is in effect an SE with factory options, so until they get their act together that maybe the route you'll have to take. When you get the V5 through it will just say SE anyway.

I bet you a cup of tea it doesn't have SE on the v5. My v5 says blackline, not vRS with a couple of extras so the black edition should be the same

If I'm wrong do you take milk and sugar?

The problem is that although the car is BASED on the SE spec, its NOT the SE spec. Saying that it is to the insurers is, in my opinion misleading. I wouldnt want to run the risk of not being covered in event of an incident or theft. Especially if its a like for like policy. The black edition comes with quite a few extras.

From what I can gather, because the black edition is very new, most insurance companies do not have it on their databases yet.

Using MoneySupermarket as an example only 4 companies will give me a quote with the cheapest being £674 a year (based on monthly payments, which id prefer). Compare this with the exactly same engine but higher spec L&K model and because this is not as new a model I can get quotes from over 130 companies (instead of just 4!) and the cheapest that they are coming out at is £366.

Im stuck as what to do. Lloyds Bank have flatly refused to insure me because the car is not on their underwriters database.  There is no way I am willing to phone 100+ companies seperatly asking them for quotes or when they will be updating their databases!

I am hoping to pick up the car within two weeks. Skoda also give a 7 day free insurance option. So that leaves me 3 weeks for the companies to update their databases. But what if they dont? I dont want to be paying twice as much!

Any ideas?

Thanks

The problem is that although the car is BASED on the SE spec, its NOT the SE spec. Saying that it is to the insurers is, in my opinion misleading. I wouldnt want to run the risk of not being covered in event of an incident or theft. Especially if its a like for like policy. The black edition comes with quite a few extras.

Agreed, the vRS is based on the SE, i doubt anyone would insure a vRS as one.....

If you give your insurance company the reg number of your black edition what does it come back as?

That's one of the problems, the car hasn't arrived at the dealers yet so still waiting for a Reg. I'm guessing that even if I had the reg, it would only show up on the Insurance Companies database if they had updated it. Lloyds clearly haven't updated there's as they said they wouldn't insure me!

Insure it initially with VWFS (you'll get a quote with your free 7 day notice) then shop around in 3 months time and move if the quotes are better.

Will they do insurance for only 3 months?

No, but you can cancel after three months (or whenever) and get a refund on the unused months (less admin charge).

Yes, I've used money supermarket to get some quotes. The issue is that as well as the vehicle having to be on the Comparison Website list, the insurance companies they use also need to have it as well. At the moment Money Super market brings up 5. 3 of these are very expensive, 1 also states that you must add a box to monitor driving and the final one wants £8000!!!!!