207bhp Yeti Greenline 1.6tdi Project - Skoda Yeti SE Business 2.0 tdi 150ps SCR Project

DarrellGB

Well, the results are in and we don't not expect the figures we got!

148.9bhp and 306nm of Torque!!! As far as we know, this makes the Shark Performance tuned Yeti Greenline, the fastest in the country!!

Here's a link to the graph:

http://flic.kr/p/p6o9Gj

• Like 3

Well, the results are in and we don't not expect the figures we got!

148.9bhp and 306nm of Torque!!! As far as we know, this makes the Shark Performance tuned Yeti Greenline, the fastest in the country!!

Here's a link to the graph:

http://flic.kr/p/p6o9Gj

Impressive.

Makes me doubt the tuning box gave you 10% more torque though if I am honest.

Nice torque curve.  Should imagine it drives well.

Impressive.

Makes me doubt the tuning box gave you 10% more torque though if I am honest.

Nice torque curve.  Should imagine it drives well.

I've been looking for excuses to drive it, even volunteered to go get some shopping in!! :)

• Like 1

225lbs ft of torque is pretty good from a 1.6, I'd be happy with that.

Thanks MajorTom, I'm over the moon with the way it's drives :) if you plant your foot in 1st, you even get a little torque steer!

After a couple of days driving the now named "Sharky", SWIMBO asking "what do those Shark stickers mean" and and saying "ooh it feels much quicker", I'm happier than ever. The Mpg isn't showing signs of any adverse effects, although driving has been a little more spirited, all within legal limits, just getting there a bit quicker :)

Motorway driving is much more fun with overtaking a doddle, stay in 5th and you go from 70 to ***(the speed required for the manoeuvre ;) ) much quicker,than before.

The story is the same on th windy stuff, the Sharky has always handled well, helped on by the lower suspension from stock, but pulling out of bends is fantastic with much harder acceleration. A blip around the quite roads of Delameer forest had me grinning from ear to ear. I'd really like to get some timing figures sorted, so if there's anyone with any OBD kit or similar and fancies giving me a hand around the Cheshire area that would be great. Alternatively a trip Oulton Park would be fun :)

For those still wondering why I would performance tune a Yeti Greenline, well I thought I'd have a look at some of the published figures for the CR170 Yeti:

Engine power (BHP): 170

Torque (lbs/ft): 258

Top speed (MPH): 125

Now my Yeti Greenline (AKA Sharky)

Engine power (BHP): 148.9

Torque (lbs/ft): 226

Top Speed (MPH) 124

So the figures are close, and before we get to "just buy a 170 then", well they've been done! tuned to over 300bhp, I've done something that's not been done yet and with a little more playing still to come those figures could go up! But I'm very happy with the results as they are.

Sharky will be going a little lower, and the research is on, with plans afoot to take him a little faster still.

After a couple of days driving the now named "Sharky", SWIMBO asking "what do those Shark stickers mean" and and saying "ooh it feels much quicker", I'm happier than ever. The Mpg isn't showing signs of any adverse effects, although driving has been a little more spirited, all within legal limits, just getting there a bit quicker :)

Motorway driving is much more fun with overtaking a doddle, stay in 5th and you go from 70 to ***(the speed required for the manoeuvre ;) ) much quicker,than before.

The story is the same on th windy stuff, the Sharky has always handled well, helped on by the lower suspension from stock, but pulling out of bends is fantastic with much harder acceleration. A blip around the quite roads of Delameer forest had me grinning from ear to ear. I'd really like to get some timing figures sorted, so if there's anyone with any OBD kit or similar and fancies giving me a hand around the Cheshire area that would be great. Alternatively a trip Oulton Park would be fun :)

For those still wondering why I would performance tune a Yeti Greenline, well I thought I'd have a look at some of the published figures for the CR170 Yeti:

Top Speed (MPH) 124

So the figures are close, and before we get to "just buy a 170 then", well they've been done! tuned to over 300bhp, I've done something that's not been done yet and with a little more playing still to come those figures could go up! But I'm very happy with the results as they are.

Sharky will be going a little lower, and the research is on, with plans afoot to take him a little faster still.

Can fit a RARB and Golf drop links on the rear iirc to improve handling! Check with BossFox as he's done it
  • Like 1

Top Speed (MPH) 124

While the 170 is relatively brisk in stock format it's also heavy with the Haldex 4x4 and the power delivery (being stock) is not particularly exciting.  Capable car though.

You will probably find that yours has almost identical performance once rolling due to it's lighter weight, being a front wheel drive model.

Bare in mind VAG power and torque figures tend to be slightly conservative as that's the least a car should make.

I've not seen a 300bhp CR170 Yeti yet.

Mine is around 200-210 (never checked it) and I know you can get 220-230 if you remove the DPF (which I personally am against).

If you are refering to my other Yeti that makes 300-320 it's a 1.8tsi Petrol 4x4.

I was looking at the Whitline RARB, is the the one BossFox has from a Golf R ?

No, both my Yetis run the H&R uprated ARBs (front and rear) from a Golf R32 as that also has four wheel drive.

They are adjustable so you have some choice on how the car performs.

I know Yeti_Man likes the softer adjustment for mainly road use and I like mine as firm as they go, which can give a little bit of a jiggly ride over uneven surfaces and make the rear end a little active if braking hard into corners.  But I like that as I can point the front in and use it to balance the car's four wheel drive understeer.  On track, obviously.

Are you still running the stock 16" wheels?

• Like 1

No, both my Yetis run the H&R uprated ARBs (front and rear) from a Golf R32 as that also has four wheel drive.

They are adjustable so you have some choice on how the car performs.

I know Yeti_Man likes the softer adjustment for mainly road use and I like mine as firm as they go, which can give a little bit of a jiggly ride over uneven surfaces and make the rear end a little active if braking hard into corners. But I like that as I can point the front in and use it to balance the car's four wheel drive understeer. On track, obviously.

Are you still running the stock 16" wheels?

I am, as long as the 312mm disc upgrade fits fine I think I'm going to stick with 16" wheels. I've gone backwards and forwards with it, even had my mates garage offer up some 17's for me, but I don't want to spoil the stock look of the car as I develop it.

I am, as long as the 312mm disc upgrade fits fine I think I'm going to stick with 16" wheels. I've gone backwards and forwards with it, even had my mates garage offer up some 17's for me, but I don't want to spoil the stock look of the car as I develop it.

We have a Greenline in the family too.

It certainly has a softer ride than the other models on 17" rims so better for poor quaility roads.

There is some extra lean in the corners, as you'd expect.  Quite a lot compared to an ARB'd Yeti on 17" rims.

Maybe the higher profile 16" tyres and uprated ARBs would give a good balance of looks, comfort and handling?

The 312mm brake upgrade fits behind stock 16" Fabia rims so I am sure it'll be fine.

I'm waiting on an email back from Eibach over their ARB kit for the Mk5 Golf and how much they think the eibach pro springs will lower the Greenline. All being well the next plans are:

- Eibach pro kit, general consensus is it will only bring things down another 15mm. But it will stiffen things up nicely and not spoil the stock look.

- Wheel spacers either HR or Eibach, only stepping them out by 10mm but again, slight improve on handling and look.

- ARB, Either the Eibach or Whitline are top of the list at the mo but this is looking the more likely.

http://www.awesomegti.com/vw-golf-mk5-eibach-anti-roll-bar-kit

I'm waiting on an email back from Eibach over their ARB kit for the Mk5 Golf and how much they think the eibach pro springs will lower the Greenline. All being well the next plans are:

- Eibach pro kit, general consensus is it will only bring things down another 15mm. But it will stiffen things up nicely and not spoil the stock look.

- Wheel spacers either HR or Eibach, only stepping them out by 10mm but again, slight improve on handling and look.

- ARB, Either the Eibach or Whitline are top of the list at the mo but this is looking the more likely.

http://www.awesomegti.com/vw-golf-mk5-eibach-anti-roll-bar-kit

Get some KW on it ;)

We have a Greenline in the family too.

It certainly has a softer ride than the other models on 17" rims so better for poor quaility roads.

There is some extra lean in the corners, as you'd expect.  Quite a lot compared to an ARB'd Yeti on 17" rims.

Maybe the higher profile 16" tyres and uprated ARBs would give a good balance of looks, comfort and handling?

The 312mm brake upgrade fits behind stock 16" Fabia rims so I am sure it'll be fine.

Thanks for helping on the brake upgrade, I'm hoping the little handling tweeks I'm planning will make a combined difference and allow the wheels and tyres to stay stock in size. If need be I can look to go to a lower profile but it's stricking a balance of taking the kids on holiday and having a bit of fun, even hopefully track time, on my own.

Get some KW on it ;)

The only reason my heads not gone the coilover route is because I haven't found the dampers an issue yet, they seem to be doing a good job. Even so, I'd probably go with springs and upgrade to some Bilsteins if needed :)

• Like 1

Don't go the KW route, you'll end up with the car lowered too much.

At the top of the rear adjusters my "Track" Yeti is around 40mm or so under stock.

I think that's too low for a road going Yeti, it'll be about the same height as a mk2 Fabia.

In my opinion the stock Yeti suspension work well on a daily basis.  Don't go too far with it.  Stiffen it a little maybe.

That's why my CR170 still runs it's stock suspension with ARBs.

I think Toxic is trying to spend your money. :D

• Like 2

At the top of the rear adjusters my "Track" Yeti is around 40mm or so under stock.

I think that's too low for a road going car, it'll be about the same height as a mk2 Fabia.

In my opinion the stock Yeti suspension work well on a daily basis. Don't go too far with it. Stiffen it a little maybe.

Don't worry I'll be heading into this course in a minute so the phone will go off and I'll strop trying to spend your money Darrell Edited by Toxicvrs
  • Like 1

I think that's too low for a road going Yeti, it'll be about the same height as a mk2 Fabia.

In my opinion the stock Yeti suspension work well on a daily basis.  Don't go too far with it.  Stiffen it a little maybe.

Unfortunately I don't need that much encouragement!!

So you'd suggest leaving the springs (it does sit lower in stock anyway) and look at the anti roll bars? It is for those times I get to open up on the country roads and maybe one blast round a track a year. The rest of the time it's usual family stuff, holidays, work etc, so it makes sense to retain a good ride quality.

Unfortunately I don't need that much encouragement!!

So you'd suggest leaving the springs (it does sit lower in stock anyway) and look at the anti roll bars? It is for those times I get to open up on the country roads and maybe one blast round a track a year. The rest of the time it's usual family stuff, holidays, work etc, so it makes sense to retain a good ride quality.

ARBs first IMO, then see if it needs more.

My CR170 didn't and it's still surprisingly capable on track as well as being a family car.

Throwing more money at them doesn't always make them better, it's about getting the right balance for it's intended use.

• Like 2

ARBs first IMO, then see if it needs more.

My CR170 didn't and it's still surprisingly capable on track as well as being a family car.

Throwing more money at them doesn't always make them better, it's about getting the right balance for it's intended use.

I'm going to sort the rear first, the Whitline adjustable ARB is top of the list at the moment. I'll see what it's like and then decide if I want to do the front too.

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/skoda/yeti/whiteline-rear-anti-roll-bar-24mm-bwr20xz