Girardi's Mk1 Octy vRS

Girardi

Fed up with the knocks I've been hearing over any minor bump in the road, I decided it was time for a new set of Lemforder droplinks.

B3A1B6AD-2C09-4270-BA8E-F097FC022C09_zps

Wishbones might need doing at some point, but no real play in there so will wait until they actually need it and then get some with the solid TT bushes.

Hi,

Are the Lemforder droplinks any different from a genuine part?

Have you got the partnumber?

Cheers

Edited by The Troninator

• 5 months later...

Couple of small updates.

The Contis came to their bitter end so a set of these have now gone on:

133FEC59-1892-4E5C-8913-246BEC392B55_zps

Next up the battery nearly died just after Christmas, car would barely start. So a new Bosch one from Costco was slid in and she now starts as soon as the key turns.

• Like 1

I fancied doing the dogbone bushes but I couldn't be bothered faffing about with getting them in and out (guess I'm just lazy) so one of these was sourced:

30EAF287-D794-4123-B860-882CA5CD8038_zps

It was soon fitted in here in short order:

A4E02353-1871-42B0-B010-16E0D0052B3D_zps

Now then... I wasn't sure how much this would really do, just had it on my sizeable to do list so figured why not. The previous bushes were well worn and there was plenty of engine movement.

All I can say is sweet Jesus. If the RARB transformed the handling, this lovely chunk of metal has transformed everything else. Yes there's a bit more vibration at idle but I'm sure that will die down - however words cannot express everything else it's done. Gearchanges which (even with the solid bushings) felt a bit clunky are now smooth as butter - the gearbox feels brand new. There's obviously a lot less movement in the engine, and whether is pschological or not it feels like the car puts down the power a bit better. That old phrase 'she pulls like a train'? Yeah, she really does now.

Night and day...

I would say I'm now going to do more with the suspension and other bushings but the car has just gone through an MOT and although she went through fine the tester did advise that the exhaust is on the way out. I reckon next purchase might end up being a Piper cat back...

Meanwhile if anyone is interested in the light of some xenons by night:

29F0ADF1-633C-4175-94F0-53ED36CAE636_zps

Dipped beam, properly adjusted. Oh and MOT tester confirmed, if it didn't come with washers and self levelling from the factory then you don't need them at all for the MOT.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Girardi said:

Added another tiny weeny thing to the interior today.

Just a small thing but amazing how much it lifts the cabin.

80C58832-7755-43E7-976E-60B8EB6F88FB_zps

That looks very OEM+, is that a Golf item and do you have a part number,  I very much like this!

• Like 1

On 28/02/2017 at 23:43, Leeboy said:

That looks very OEM+, is that a Golf item and do you have a part number,  I very much like this!

Ebay special I'm afraid mate, but there is similar available from a mk5 golf.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right then.

Since the weather appears to be uncharacteristically summery I gave the car a good going over. 2BM, AG SRP, PoorBoys EXP and a double top coat of Dodo Juice. Came out OK!

IMG_3520_zpsxfz7e9b5.jpg

Got the MOT done, straight through fine but did flag the exhaust as an advisory and blowing slightly. Not surprised either looking at it - well past it and the exhaust rubbers were pretty shot too. Not too bad for 12 years old so they've had a good innings, but still time to go.

IMG_3603_zpsnkyhn1jk.jpg

Spent some good time looking around for exhausts... Milltek? Jetex? Blueflame? In the end I went with a Piper cat back as I preferred the tone and the double exit style. Fresh set of exhaust rubbers all over and now looking much better.

IMG_3615_zpszitcqh2e.jpg

Makes it looks special without being the full rudeboy:

IMG_3607_zpstcc7qrlc.jpg

• Like 3

Also been doing a bit of a clear out since we're moving house. Found my Milotec rear valance set in a corner that I've been meaning to put on for about 2 years(!) - few hours later it went on, and sets off the new exhaust well imho.

Before:

1fa6d75b-9f21-4f5a-b88f-3ab78929dfc2_zps

After:

196489eb-0f6d-44ed-b847-070632706cc9_zps

d385069b-3136-4378-bc31-d019884e7887_zps

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dubDEAN said:

LIKE THE TWIN PIPES :)  and with how poor the miltek build seems to be this past few years i think its a good choice B)

Cheers matey :) Figured they were a bit different.

Yeah I was going to go miltek originally but everywhere I looked I read 'it's really good but will fall apart in 12 months' lol so was a bit of a no brainer in the end. I like the tone of the Piper as well, not stupid loud but a great little burble at tickover and you definitely know it's there when you press on!

• Like 1