2.0 TDI CR temperature

Around 90 is a more normal oil temperature figure (Past 100 if you're pushing the car hard) - thermostat failed open maybe? Running the engine overcooled is harder on the oil AFAIK, so I'd definitely get it checked.

That's a failed thermostat - they're designed to fail open so the engine doesn't get cooked. If you want to verify, try blocking off the radiator with a piece of cardboard and go for a drive - you should see temperatures closer to normal. Beware blocking the aircon radiator or the intercooler though.

Hi Juhagpl,  

if you change a thermostat, you can check the temperature drop using a thermometer, but if you don't have the kit to check the temperature, then always change the DSG stat first.  (As it is much cheaper and much easier to change) 

good luck

One Pot

• 7 months later...
On 22/11/2016 at 21:16, One Pot said:

I stumbled across Autodoc website which is a German website but provides a UK outlet.

the part can be found here!

http://www.autodoc.co.uk/mahle-original/7815022

Prices include shipping, which can take 4 to 5 days, UPS from Germany

Not great for an urgent job, but for this it was fine. 

Are you sure this fits 2.0 Diesel CR 140 ? as it says on description that fits

• 2.0 TDI 16V 4x4, Year of Construction 11.2010 - ..., 1968 ccm, 140 PS

On 22/12/2016 at 17:58, florin335 said:

i received the "dsg" thermostat today, i previously changed the thermostat all the "mecanics" know about with no positive results, i will see when i have time tomorrow to change it, and I will keep you posted.

Any good Florin ?

Yes, solved the problem, in the meantime a friend of mine had the same problem on his superb 2.0 cr tdi 170hp, helped him change the "dsg" thermostat, problem solved, any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by florin335

I'm having the same problem, now that the air temps are starting to get lower.

It takes longer to warm up to 90ºC and if I coast on the motorway, water temp starts to get lower to 70/80ºC.

My car is not a DSG, it' s a manual, so no extra thermostat! 

50 minutes ago, AlexandreNogueira said:

I'm having the same problem, now that the air temps are starting to get lower.

It takes longer to warm up to 90ºC and if I coast on the motorway, water temp starts to get lower to 70/80ºC.

My car is not a DSG, it' s a manual, so no extra thermostat! 

Probably a failed thermostat. They usually fail open so the car ends up taking forever to warm up. A temporary fix is to blank off the radiator grille to reduce airflow through the radiator.

Had the thermostat replaced on my 1.6 recently. Warms up significantly quicker, both coolant and oil. Stays warm as well. Even so, it takes a while to warm up and to stay toasty. Superskoda sells a winter grille cover. My car is missing the engine undertray, so it might be getting some extra unintended air from underneath, but it shouldn't make a dramatic difference.

grillecoverlisting.png.9439d8c1fcb149c2a95ed9e700972965.png

radiatorcover.thumb.png.e9e90de1aae778e082ca67b0f9a51e53.png

Since I have 0 intention of paying 44.99€ plus shipping for a piece of plastic and some mounting hardware, I'll find a DIY solution on a lazy weekend.

Edited by TLV

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, sorry resurrect an old thread.

Im also having this issue (temp gauge not reaching 90c) on my 2011 Passat CC 2.0 TDI 170 DSG (CFGB Engine).

I went to order the inline DSG thermostat (part number 1K0121113A ) from TPS - they said that part wasn't applicable for my vehicle.

I checked on an online parts diagram and that part number isn't listed against the engine.

Has anyone with a CFGB engine changed the in-line thermostat to sort this? if so, did you use part number 1K0121113A?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rich

Hi Richtung,

there was some debate whether mine had the additional stat, but it did.  Easiest way to check is to use a Mk1 eyeball.  You may need to remove the ait intake pipe which runs above the gearbox, but then look for the coolant pipes which sit on top of the g/box.  One of them should have the stat inline.  Looks like this:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi1u9Gf_PndAhWLtO0KHbO9CMsYABALGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQeD2Fh3hp9zXmRgV8iNszmpMsrFn5B1MpRDtpyjoZaUMIefCGbRfhxEEXwaHMeJedqkN_K5qGHfQJyAb4XSePkS2&sig=AOD64_2fqAhwMhFx-Pf033YguTdlclGivQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj09cuf_PndAhWLDcAKHSmCDWMQwg8IMw&adurl=

• Like 1

I had the same issue CFGB 2011 Superb 170 dsg. Replaced stat. Loads of good instructions. Ordered from Autodoc. Dirt cheap Mahle stat. Have a search of my posts 

Edited by gav_is_con
  • Like 2

Found some of my old pictures and other members stuff I kept. 

Pict 3 and 4 are my own car. I never used the special tool to remove those jubilee type clips. I used long nose pliers with a lot of patience.  I only needed about 1 litre of coolant after losing this around the stat special G12/13 stuff. I just put it in neat. 

IMG_2563.PNG

IMG_2565.PNG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

Edited by gav_is_con
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just did a quick check of the parts diagram for the Superb CFGB engine and the part is listed in the diagram. Re-checked for my Passat (identical diagram)  - you can see the part in the diagram (just like on the Superb) but theres no item number or part description :thinking:.

In any event, i may have to order the part from TPS/Dealers as i have a long journey this weekend so time is against me. 

Rich

Just as a way of an update.

Changed the inline stat today - what a ball ache! I had to take off the whole pipe as others did and changed the stat off the car.

Started the car, ran it for a bit and then topped up coolant again.

Took it for a drive and water temp hit 90 (on the gauge) within a couple of miles and oil temp reached 90 soon after (both temps stayed stable).  Seems like problem solved!

Thanks for everyone;s advice on this!

I ran water into the old stat and water just poured straight through which indicates its open.

One thing though, after the car reached temp (after a relatively short journey), i went to the petrol station to fill up. After i stopped the engine and got out, i noticed the radiator fan were still running.

Now, the Passat does that on occasion (im guessing its doing a DPG regen) but im ultra paranoid that I've cocked up some where and the fans staying on after engine is off is a result of something not being right??

When i got home and shut the engine off, the fan didnt stay on this time? Im guessing it could have been be doing a DPF regen?

Rich

• Like 1