2.0 TDI CR temperature

On 01/11/2017 at 12:32, AlexandreNogueira said:

I'm having the same problem, now that the air temps are starting to get lower.

It takes longer to warm up to 90ºC and if I coast on the motorway, water temp starts to get lower to 70/80ºC.

My car is not a DSG, it' s a manual, so no extra thermostat! 

Hi, did you have any luck with this?

I have the same problem with a manual 2012 2.0 Tdi CR engine in a 4x4 Superb so the DSG thermostat solution doesn't apply.

5 hours ago, kjdmac said:

Hi, did you have any luck with this?

I have the same problem with a manual 2012 2.0 Tdi CR engine in a 4x4 Superb so the DSG thermostat solution doesn't apply.

If there isn't a DSG stat, then it's probably the main thermostat...

That's what I changed to fix cool running on my manual CR140:

• 1 year later...

Hello my engine is 2.0 tdi, engine code CEGA from MK2 vrs FL. When driving on highway up to 140 kph temperature gauge is rock soli 90 degrese and dosn't matter if I drive stady or under heavy load. In city driving also temperature is rock solid. When speedometor goes above 160 kph after 3-4 minutes temperature gauge starting to go up. With VCDS on Live measurements Oil temperature was at 110 degrese and coolant was at 108 degrese. When needle starting to rise imideatly return the car to 140kph and temperature alomost instant goes back do 90 degrece and stay there. Can someone tell me what to do or if someone got same issue like me?

First thing is to question your rock steady belief, if you look at live data under the 140kph you will see that the temperature guage is made to read 90°c over a large range of engine temperatures, I expect you will see that your car is gradually overheating even at those speeds.

You have an overheating problem, probably one of the thermostats or the sliding sleeve on the waterpump, others who know more of your engine will be able to advise, the non linear function of the temperature guage is giving you a red herring (tricking you).

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

First thing is to question your rock steady belief, if you look at live data under the 140kph you will see that the temperature guage is made to read 90°c over a large range of engine temperatures, I expect you will see that your car is gradually overheating even at those speeds.

You have an overheating problem, probably one of the thermostats or the sliding sleeve on the waterpump, others who know more of your engine will be able to advise, the non linear function of the temperature guage is giving you a red herring (tricking you).

If there is a problem with thermostat or water pump why in city driving at 50kph temperature don't go above 86-7 degrece with climatronic on?

15 minutes ago, Deniz said:

If there is a problem with thermostat or water pump why in city driving at 50kph temperature don't go above 86-7 degrece with climatronic on?

Under less load the cooling system doesn't have to work as hard so it can keep temperature under control then. 160 km/h is hard work and the engine will get hotter, so if you have a small problem with the cooling system you will see it at that speed.

The water temperature gauge is programmed to read 90 *C when the actual temperature is between 75 & 105 *C, so you won't see if the car is gradually getting hotter until it gets outside that range. Watch your oil temperature to see the true engine temperature.

Check that the cooling fans are ok and the radiator is not blocked.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Watch your oil temperature to see the true engine temperature.

Check that the cooling fans are ok and the radiator is not blocked.

At 160 kph oil temperature shows 110 degrece. Made vcds test of the cooling fans and no errors there. 

A diagnostic scan won't say much about the condition of the fans. You need to physically check them: any play in the bearings, damage to the blades, debris in the housing, etc. You need to check that there is nothing stuck in the radiator that would reduce airflow. If you have compressed air, blow it through the radiator from the engine bay to blow out any material that is stuck in it; don't blow from the outside because this will push stuff further into it.